to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Skyrim DLC Dragonborn review: fighting Miraak, wooing the Sk

Your comments on our articles.

Part two of our Skyrim DLC playthrough

Welcome to part two of our Skyrim DLC Dragonborn review playthrough. Check out part one, if you haven't already, then abandon all remaining hope and read on.... read more

Skyrim DLC Dragonborn review: fighting Miraak, wooing the Sk

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Dec 2012, 11:22

So I take it that as with most Bethesda games it's worth waiting for the patch? Or at least coming up with amusing ways of justifying the stuff going wrong?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Skyrim DLC Dragonborn review: fighting Miraak, wooing th

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Dec 2012, 12:38

If the bugs in regular Skyrim bother you, then probably worth waiting, yes. I can't say they're annoying me much, but then [over-compensatory reminder] I've played 70 hours of this [/over-compensatory reminder]. You build up a tolerance for stuff like getting stuck on stairways.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Dec 2012, 13:14

Just got it as my MS points have finally turned up.Will hold off playing anyway despite the bugs as i have FC 3 to finish.Not that i am complaining. :D :lol:
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby dstates » 06 Dec 2012, 15:17

very enjoyable read. thank you.

the man who "rocketed straight up into the clouds as though kicked by a Giant, screaming in ecstasy" seems like a play off of TES 3 Morrowind's Tarhiel, who was a man in very much the same situation. the only difference being that you don't see Tarhiel take off, you're just walking down the trail from Sada Neen (likely in your first hour of playing the game) and behold, you hear screaming quickly getting louder....then *thump*, a wood-elf in a fuzzy yellow hat meets his end right in front of you.

/nostalgia
dstates 3

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Dec 2012, 15:22

dstates wrote:very enjoyable read. thank you.

the man who "rocketed straight up into the clouds as though kicked by a Giant, screaming in ecstasy" seems like a play off of TES 3 Morrowind's Tarhiel, who was a man in very much the same situation. the only difference being that you don't see Tarhiel take off, you're just walking down the trail from Sada Neen (likely in your first hour of playing the game) and behold, you hear screaming quickly getting louder....then *thump*, a wood-elf in a fuzzy yellow hat meets his end right in front of you.

/nostalgia

You're welcome, and thanks for the heads-up on the lore. I'm trying to work out how many of the books in Solstheim are new - have unearthed some good ones about the mythology.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby LinkToon1 » 06 Dec 2012, 15:40

Just thought I'd mention that you can respec all your perk points once you've the finished the main quest, and as many times as you want for the cost of a dragon soul.
LinkToon1 25

Postby EdDeRs1 » 06 Dec 2012, 17:14

the Bruce Campbell bit was a nice touch
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby ChillieBonBon » 06 Dec 2012, 22:50

This is all well and good, but hurry up and write the next article; I'm dying to know about the dragon riding!!!
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Dec 2012, 11:00

ChillieBonBon wrote:This is all well and good, but hurry up and write the next article; I'm dying to know about the dragon riding!!!

You assume that Ed is anywhere near good enough to tame a dragon :lol:
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Dec 2012, 11:14

Fie upon ye, doubters!

I'm off ill at the moment (well, technically - I've published four things today), so the rest of the Dragonborn review may have to wait...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Dec 2012, 11:35

OXM ETboy wrote:Fie upon ye, doubters!

I'm off ill at the moment (well, technically - I've published four things today), so the rest of the Dragonborn review may have to wait...

Your output doesn't seem greatly reduced as a result of your illness. Take it easy and get well soon mate.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby dstates » 07 Dec 2012, 14:09

ChillieBonBon wrote:This is all well and good, but hurry up and write the next article; I'm dying to know about the dragon riding!!!
dragon riding is not what you think. you have very little control over the dragon...in fact, it will just fly in circles(clockwise), but you can use it to attack enemies on the ground. once you get off the thing, it pays you back for the piggy back ride and becomes hostile. pretty disappointing for most people who hope this dlc would let you have flyable pet dragon, but the reality is, that type of thing just isn't possible to implement into the game if you're running it on a console. Playing it on a PC on the other hand, the possibilities are endless. there is already several mods (one *good* mod that i know of) that implements completely controllable dragon flight into the game, but it does this via player character transforming into a dragon rather than the player mounting a dragon, still, it's pretty damn sweet to fly around shooting fireballs everywhere...too bad gaming consoles cant handle this type of thing.
dstates 3