to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Guitar Hero 7 revealed - Vicarious Visions "disaster" used s

Your comments on our articles.

Also had dynamic venues, but no singing or drumming

An anonymous Activision source has divulged the existence of a cancelled final Guitar Hero project, titled simply Guitar Hero 7. The game was binned along with the Guitar Hero franchise as a whole in early 2011, and with all due respect to developer Vicarious Visions, it sounds like we dodged a bullet. The project was allegedly a "disaster", an attempt at reinvention crippled by over-reaching ambition and limited resources.... read more

Guitar Hero 7 revealed - Vicarious Visions "disaster" used s

Postby mariachi2000 » 06 Dec 2012, 12:41

Ever since I played on a friends copy of Rocksmith I have been overjoyed at the fact that this means Guitar Hero/Rockband etc. are doomed :)

(Mostly because I was never any good at them...)
mariachi2000 37

Re: Guitar Hero 7 revealed - Vicarious Visions "disaster" us

Postby PonderingWalrus » 06 Dec 2012, 15:53

Speaking of Rocksmith, will you chaps at OXM ever be reviewing it? I'm curious as to whether or not it is any good.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Dec 2012, 17:05

PonderingWalrus wrote:Speaking of Rocksmith, will you chaps at OXM ever be reviewing it? I'm curious as to whether or not it is any good.

Xbox World really rated it. I think they gave it an 8/10, but it was only a short review.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby mariachi2000 » 06 Dec 2012, 17:16

PonderingWalrus wrote:Speaking of Rocksmith, will you chaps at OXM ever be reviewing it? I'm curious as to whether or not it is any good.

I have only played it once at a mate's house but it was enough to make me want to crack out my guitar which I hadn't played in 10 years or so and start playing again. The sound was great with no noticeable lag, but I don't know what set-up he had as there are reports of lag with if you use HDMI for video and audio.

There are a good range of different tracks and a couple of simple but addictive mini-games.

As you progress you can unlock effects pedals and just use them in a 'jam' mode where you use the game as an effects pedal and amp.

It also adjusts the difficulty mid-track depending on how well you are doing so can be used by anybody.

I only had a whistle-stop tour of the game but that is what I picked up from it.

I am looking out for getting it myself, but after the price comes down a bit. So I recommend it, but it depends on how much you want it as to whether you are willing to pay over £50.00 for it or not.

Hope this can help until a professional review. :)
mariachi2000 37

Postby PonderingWalrus » 06 Dec 2012, 17:29

mariachi2000 wrote:

I have only played it once at a mate's house but it was enough to make me want to crack out my guitar which I hadn't played in 10 years or so and start playing again. The sound was great with no noticeable lag, but I don't know what set-up he had as there are reports of lag with if you use HDMI for video and audio.

There are a good range of different tracks and a couple of simple but addictive mini-games.

As you progress you can unlock effects pedals and just use them in a 'jam' mode where you use the game as an effects pedal and amp.

It also adjusts the difficulty mid-track depending on how well you are doing so can be used by anybody.

I only had a whistle-stop tour of the game but that is what I picked up from it.

I am looking out for getting it myself, but after the price comes down a bit. So I recommend it, but it depends on how much you want it as to whether you are willing to pay over £50.00 for it or not.

Hope this can help until a professional review. :)

Sounds interesting but my only concern is that it is purely designed as a "encourage people to pick up and play an instrument" game. I already play guitar but wouldn't mind picking it up if it could help further my ability and learn a few neat new songs along the way. :)

Can you manually set the difficulty or is it out of your control? Because I thought I could remember reading somewhere that the computer sets the difficulty and there is no way to manually change it. Basically, I don't want to buy the game if it's going force me to spend an hour learning what a fret is and make me go through all the basics before letting me do what I want.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Dec 2012, 19:29

I think it was in the last issue of OXM (92) and Log reviewed it but I can't remember what it got number wise. The gist of the review is that it was an inventive way to learn guitar rather than a game per se.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58