to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

swearing rules?

The magazine, the website, the disc, the OXM Report and more

swearing rules?

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Dec 2012, 00:02

Just occured to me i should probably find out how tough the rules on sweaing on this site are.
After all I dont want to get myself banned for swearing rules I didn't know about :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: swearing rules?

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Dec 2012, 00:09

Read these fupping rules; viewtopic.php?f=35&p=222254#p222254
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby schwepterbrowser » 08 Dec 2012, 00:11

You can get away with the odd one, just don't swear profusely and avoid the 'more offensive' terms. You won't get banned for calling a game shit, for example, but if you spew some foul bile about it you may be warned.

Obviously don't direct it towards anyone, that's what put the nail in Wishface's coffin.
schwepterbrowser 56

Postby msbhvn » 08 Dec 2012, 00:26

I tend to use the following rules for swearing:

If my comment is on an article, then I'll asterisk out anything stronger than bloody or bastard, because anyone visiting the site can see it.

If it's in the forums, I don't bother editing piss and shit, but I edit the f-word and very rarely use the c-word.

And I agree, never direct swearing at people, even jokingly. It's almost worse than saying it out loud because you can't convey tone of voice in plain text.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Dec 2012, 01:10

I tend to father ted stuff up, or use similar sounding words, fork you, what the ship etc. Most of the time it's auto corrected and asterixes itself. I have no idea why anyone would be offended by the words though, they wont kill you and it's not as if you've never heard the word before, or it is against your religion, I'd be hard pressed to find a playground where there isn't swearing - and therein lies the problem, we're all using it casually rather than its proper use, to really accentuate a point or convey unique disgust - 'fup you' has none of the menace it used to, we're all fupping at each other. Baxters.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby schwepterbrowser » 08 Dec 2012, 01:13

Swearing doesn't bother me in the slightest, but them's the rules!
schwepterbrowser 56

Postby Grummy » 08 Dec 2012, 02:41

I just say whatever the hell I please and f**k the lot of ya.

to be honest, it's general attitude that matters more than anything else. The previously mentioned Wishface for example, he swore a lot, but his real problem that every single post was filled with vitriolic bile and an unending stream of bullshit, so it bothered people. It would have bothered us though even if he never swore, such was his attitude and behaviour.

On the otherside of things, I'm probably the most sweary person on the forums and I don't do anything about it, I never self censor, and people accept it because they are my minions and they do what I tell them too.

It's also because in amongst my sweariness and my occasional rants my input into this little community is largely positive. It doesn't hurt to be the master of thumping great big posts that are always well written and thought provoking.

My little foray into self absorption over, my point is that my input day to day far outweighs my sweariness, so they let it pass.

Bottom line, if your an asshat, don't use words like asshat. If you're not an asshat, then feel free to say asshat, but not too much. Feel free to use bum beret instead.

El mod forgot to add the 'don't piss off Grummy' rule as well, so just take it as a standard rule for all things and your good to go.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 08 Dec 2012, 10:45

I feel as though we should think up our own swear word, like Red Dwarf did, because we are our own little world of OXM Land after all.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, Watch Dogs, TF, KI, Forza 5 - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby KernowDevil23 » 08 Dec 2012, 17:23

Kudos is usually given for using Fucknuts in a post.

Seriously though, Grummy nailed it. It's all about context really. Oh and don't piss Grumster off, I'll add that to the rules..... :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Dec 2012, 10:43

It's not big and it's not clever so I generally don't or I'll occasionally * myself into oblivion. It is however funny if used correctly.

Fucknuts is good, fuckpig is my current in-use go-to word.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby comabob » 18 Dec 2012, 20:09

Ive been replacing foul language with olde worlde speak throughout my day - either with my son/at home - or at work

Cheese Its! has replaced the exasperated Jesus!
Curses!! Instead of Shit in the expressive term - So if i drop something on the floor - its CURSES!! where as if i dont like something instead of saying shit i would say its Boulderdash.

I quite like Dagnabbit and "you shower of lollygaggers!" also.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Dec 2012, 10:22

comabob wrote:Ive been replacing foul language with olde worlde speak throughout my day - either with my son/at home - or at work

Cheese Its! has replaced the exasperated Jesus!
Curses!! Instead of Shit in the expressive term - So if i drop something on the floor - its CURSES!! where as if i dont like something instead of saying shit i would say its Boulderdash.

I quite like Dagnabbit and "you shower of lollygaggers!" also.

Plus dagnabbit has the advantage of making you sound like a senile 1800s gold prospector which is always a good thing.

I may have to start using curses myself.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Mar 2013, 22:57

doubt it, like all swears you can use them but not in an agressive or threatening manner
Metalrodent 71

Postby KernowDevil23 » 20 Mar 2013, 00:03

Metalrodent wrote:doubt it, like all swears you can use them but not in an agressive or threatening manner

Not true.

If someone wrote "I'm gonna rip your fecking head off", I'd laugh and not hit the banhammer button. If someone substituted the "e" for a "u", I'd be hitting that button! :lol:

Subtle differences 'ya see?!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Mar 2013, 14:20

Grummy, you ghost you
Metalrodent 71

Next