Dark Souls II

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Dark Souls II

Postby schwepterbrowser » 08 Dec 2012, 03:58

Just announced at the VGAs via an awesome live-action trailer (I'll link it later, typing this during a break).

I'm VERY excited. VERY, VERY F***ING EXCITED! :mrgreen:

*Edit: Trailer
schwepterbrowser 58

Re: Dark Souls II

Postby Carpet Monkey » 08 Dec 2012, 11:51

Just watched this on YouTube. Unbelievably excited. Sequel to one of the best, if not my favourite, games on the 360. Aaaargh need this now!
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby schwepterbrowser » 08 Dec 2012, 12:28

Hmm, the story I linked has been removed and the YouTube videos I'm trying have all been removed. Maybe the VGAs have timed exclusivity for the trailers or something? Same story with the others.

I also just realised the trailer was CG, in which case it was very nice, I was sure it was live-action watching last night (though I watched on my iPad at like 3am, so I may change my tune if I can see it again on the TV/laptop when I'm not tired).
schwepterbrowser 58

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Dec 2012, 13:05

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/38 ... eps-aside/

lol and I quoth; we want to make it more approachable to attain a presence like elder scrolls. Ok so that isn't the quote but it seems funny to me, I've never played it but always thought the difficulty, hostile world was the draw. Way to sell out? Or bold move.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Carpet Monkey » 08 Dec 2012, 18:54

I don't think they'll sell out on the difficulty (well I hope not). The couple of articles I've read seem to think it will be just as brutal if not more so. Although I'm sure they'll try and market it to as many people as possible. Rather that then go bankrupt!
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby Grummy » 08 Dec 2012, 20:09

I expect to see them add the 'easy mode' they talked about adding a few months back.

A 'true difficulty' mode for the full experience and an easy mode for people who would rather have it easier.

As I said back then, I may not like the game, and think it's unfairly difficult, but I wouldn't want to see it cheapened with an easy mode, it is what it is, and the Kool-Aid wouldn't taste the same if it had an easy mode.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 09 Dec 2012, 12:18

What about if they added a system where the difficulty would drop if you consistently died on an area? That way those who want things hard as nails would keep the difficulty right up there and not notice any difference, and then those who really struggled would start to see the learning curve flatten out a bit. I suspect it would be far easier to add an 'easy mode' option, but if you didn't want one explicitly put in there then that could be the way to do it. I suppose the counter argument is that you could see the game 'water itself down' without you realising, which admittedly is a possibility, but if you set the boundaries right it wouldn't be a problem.

I never played the first game, and ultra-hard games aren't really for me as a general rule, but something reactive like that might make it more enticing for me.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : MCC, Sunset O, Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 63

Postby Carpet Monkey » 09 Dec 2012, 17:03

Interesting point, but for me the real thrill of dark souls is that rush when you FINALY overcome the odds and take down a boss or get through an area. I've never experienced that in a game in that way before, and for me that is quite essential to the experience. So I think it may dumb it down too much of it makes the game easier if you are dying too much.
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby schwepterbrowser » 09 Dec 2012, 18:24

There's a bit of an elitist wanker stigma attached to those who say Dark Souls wasn't hard, but I have to say I didn't have much trouble with it. It certainly isn't easy, but at no point was I stuck or did I struggle to 100% the game, so I really hope it doesn't get easier. I'll still be all over it if it does, or even stays the same, but personally I'd like to see the challenge ramped-up.
schwepterbrowser 58

Postby SidTheSloth » 10 Apr 2013, 23:38

Holy dog-shit, anyone watched the IGN reveal trailer(s) today? Game is looking pretty tasty indeed and certainly still has that 'souls feel' - whatever that means. Concerns still exist over some of the stuff mentioned previously, especially with the head dude having stepped aside and them discussing 'varieties of death' - i hope they don't cheapen it in lieu of that. For now concerns are on the shelf and i'm happy to just watch the awesomeness in action...!

CVG have got the vids up for anyone who can't be arsed to search, click here, expect OXM to kick them up tomorrow maybe though too.

NB: Commentary on the vid isn't great, the presenter dude looks bored rigid too...! :)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Carpet Monkey » 11 Apr 2013, 11:14

Just watched it now (http://m.uk.ign.com/videos/2013/04/10/d ... inute-demo)

Ooooohmygodohmygodohmygod I'm such a fanboy now
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby Grummy » 11 Apr 2013, 18:26

Worst. Game. Ever.
One. Warrior. Nation.

Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Carpet Monkey » 11 Apr 2013, 20:28

grummmMMYYYY!! *shakes fist in air*
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby Grummy » 11 Apr 2013, 21:46

Trollololololololololol
One. Warrior. Nation.

Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 13 Apr 2013, 10:17

I can't get excited about this (yet) as I am still crying over the first one. To clarify, I bought the first one yesterday and played it for an hour and a half; dying about 10 times before I even left the Undead Asylum,

I don't know if that was because the game really is fiendishly difficult or if it's just because I really suck at it. I still intent to go back for more today though.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next