to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dark Souls 2 announced - first screenshots of new hero, worl

Your comments on our articles.

Game will offer "revamped server-based multiplayer experience"

Namco Bandai has unveiled Dark Souls 2, a brand new instalment of reliably "disobliging" action-RPG wickedness that will "delight fans" and "entice new players". There's no release date yet but we do have screenshots, and they're quite the eye-full.... read more

Dark Souls 2 announced - first screenshots of new hero, worl

Postby fracturedrich » 08 Dec 2012, 13:08

inevitable after how well the first one has done,the first one is by far my favourite game of all time .I hope its tougher thats all i can say.
fracturedrich 46

Re: Dark Souls 2 announced - first screenshots of new hero,

Postby fracturedrich » 08 Dec 2012, 14:11

You are the undead ,forever without hope ,forever without light.2013 is looking very good this with gta ,glad to see dishonoured picking up awards fully deserved.
fracturedrich 46

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Dec 2012, 14:13

Stunning franchise. I hope sequelitis doesn't kill it.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby tesco Z0MBIE » 08 Dec 2012, 15:00

I just hope they have a better control system. oh and a bit of plot and character would be nice. But otherwise yay!
tesco Z0MBIE 12

Postby Baryonyx » 08 Dec 2012, 15:31

And now at the top of my 'most wanted' list. I hope it is as tougher, or tougher, than the first one.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 37

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 08 Dec 2012, 16:00

tesco Z0MBIE wrote:I just hope they have a better control system. oh and a bit of plot and character would be nice. But otherwise yay!

yup, i only recently got his as a time filler between games, and its fewkin awesome. my lifeline is a mate on a game +7 who made a new character to help me in co-op. if it weren't for him i'd be well lost, and they defo need some sort of story there as its easy to get lost and amble around doing nothing but dying alot lol.
GT: heart attak joe
Joe90_Remy700 44

Postby fracturedrich » 08 Dec 2012, 16:08

tesco Z0MBIE wrote:I just hope they have a better control system. oh and a bit of plot and character would be nice. But otherwise yay!
fracturedrich 46

Postby schwepterbrowser » 08 Dec 2012, 16:53

I think Dark Souls was structured masterfully; more story elements aren't needed to draw you into the game, the world did that itself. I found the snippets of dialogue from ambiguous characters made for a much more intriguing story than most games that just spell their narrative out. I actually thought about the story, pieced it together, discussed & debated it on forums and read up on it. No other game has inspired me to do that.

The control system takes some adjusting to, but once you've got it it works fine.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Clanger67 » 08 Dec 2012, 17:17

Great stuff can't wait.Still yet to start Prepare to die dlc because of FC 3,but on my enjoyment of the original game will def. be getting this.Fantastic rpg and gets slated too much for being hard.I haven't found it so and have never thrown my toys out the pram once with it.With this and hopefully Dark Arisen coming for DD should be another great year next year for rpg's. :D
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Baryonyx » 08 Dec 2012, 19:40

The control system was supreme. What they do NOT need to mess with is the general feel and responsiveness of the player. It was silky, smooth and never cumbersome. There was no lag between a button press and a response, which contributed to the excellent balancing in the game that made it feel fair. The only time I felt it was a little unfair was when you had to fight that demon in the lava pit that can fly around above you. That was a bit of a hit and miss affair.

Does it need a better story? Debatable. A little more narrative wouldn't go amiss, but I loved the assurance the developers had in the lore. They let the story tell itself, revealed in snippets through text screens on inventory items, or brief conversations with distant, aloof NPC's. It made for a game that really 'flowed', as there the playing experience was rarely interrupted for cutscenes etc etc. That meant where there was a cutscene, you felt really compelled to watch it. Compare that to say, Resident Evil 6, which piles bulky cutscene and breaks in the action on the player every few steps! Dark Souls felt very 'old skool' because the story was so scantly explained (yet integral to the game and woven through it with expert care). It was like playing something from the Megadrive; a brief bit of story to give context and setting to a brutal slice of skill-focused action gaming! It could go the wrong way and end up like The Witcher 2, which was so mired in story and lore that the game mechanics themselves weren't up to scratch!
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 37

Postby Grummy » 08 Dec 2012, 21:54

The controls were garbage. Slow, heavy, clunky and cumbersome. It was an absolute nightmare and one of the worst parts of the game, it desperately needs to be improved.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby IceKimi » 09 Dec 2012, 00:33

Baryonyx wrote:The control system was supreme.
IceKimi 53

Postby fracturedrich » 09 Dec 2012, 14:58

There will always be parts of a game what some people dont like,there is no such thing as a perfect game that will please every one but what made dark souls special for me is i did not see it coming.My friend who owns my local game shop told me to have a look at it and i left it.In the end it had been out about six weeks and he offerd me his own limited edition for the right price and i bought it .I got it home played it until the first demon got killed upteen times,i left it then for another week,had another go,got killed by that same demon a few more times which got me to dig my heels in and eventually learn to listen to the sighns on the floor hold rb for the drop attack, roll underneath his legs and finally,the feeling i got after getting past that first boss are what playing video games are all about.I have put more than 500 hours into this game,completed it 4 times and still play it on a daily basis,ive made more friends playing this game than on all my other games combined.So in your eyes the control system might be flawed ,the plot thin but its the imperfections what makes this game an rpg classic,bring on ds2 i can not wait.
fracturedrich 46

Postby potdude » 10 Dec 2012, 14:50

Please don't screw it up FROMSOFTWARE.

I'd like to see the game evolve and build on the excellent production/design values. Keep the harsh landscapes and don’t make it one iota easier.
I bought this game because it was marketed as unforgiving and tough. Although this is true 15-20hrs in, this is the norm and what an exhilarating norm it is. Not in all my 25 years of gaming have I experienced such a range of emotions thanks to the risk/reward system. Take away the level of difficulty that the core fans have become accustomed too and you basically make a different game under the same name (Brothers in arms being a fine example of a good franchise gone s**t).
potdude 7