to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox 720 is code-named "Kryptos", "Oban" chip to enter prod

Your comments on our articles.

"But problems could delay that"

Revealingly-named tech news site SemiAccurate reports that the next Xbox is code-named "Kryptos", rather than the "Durango" appelation that's been doing the rounds for a while, and that the console's core "Oban" chip may yet enter production before the end of 2012.... read more

Xbox 720 is code-named "Kryptos", "Oban" chip to enter prod

Postby Thos. » 11 Dec 2012, 12:34

Now Halo's dead, and Kinect, Smartglass and 'apps' are seen as the future of gaming, I'm interested in seeing anything at all that will convince me to buy the next Xbox.

In completely unrelated news, Valve announce their new Steam box console...
Thos. 43

Re: Xbox 720 is code-named "Kryptos", "Oban" chip to enter

Postby LUCASH525 » 11 Dec 2012, 18:40

thats the worst code name ever the better not keep it that.
LUCASH525 7

Postby NobleWarrior92 » 11 Dec 2012, 20:04

Honestly is it not a bit too soon for a new generation of consoles? Now that developers have got used to these systems they are churning out some pretty great stuff, a new console next year isn't going to change my enjoyment of these games. I'm enjoying having my kinect and all these new features, and to know that next year a new Xbox is coming out just seems like one step forward and two steps back - just as developers are hitting their stride they will have to come to grips with a new system next year. The Xbox 360 has at least 2 to 3 years of life left in it before it is time to move on.
NobleWarrior92 13

Postby OXM ETboy » 11 Dec 2012, 20:31

The Xbox 360 has at least 2 to 3 years of life left in it before it is time to move on.

I could go another two or three years, myself, but the orthodox thinking holds that we need another set of hardware to rejuvenate interest in boxed games and keep the likes of Infinity Ward in business.

Frankly, I'm expecting a fair few high profile "casualties" next gen regardless. There just isn't enough money in circulation.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 11 Dec 2012, 21:10

There comes a time though, when the quality of PC gaming vastly outweighs that of console gaming, when their visuals and physics utterly eclipse ours, at that time, consoles need a new generation, I should imagine for the benefit of the developers who would have an easier time developing on hardware of similar quality and architecture than developing one game for 2 starkly different qualities.

Also, I have it from a friend who works for 3rd party company involved in testing new software, that Durango is actually the codename for the PS4
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 12 Dec 2012, 00:03

Grummy wrote:There comes a time though, when the quality of PC gaming vastly outweighs that of console gaming, when their visuals and physics utterly eclipse ours, at that time, consoles need a new generation, I should imagine for the benefit of the developers who would have an easier time developing on hardware of similar quality and architecture than developing one game for 2 starkly different qualities.

I'm with you on this, something like Battlefield 3 would have been even more impressive if it could have been the visual marvel and scale which PC players are presented with - some of those maps just deserved to be more filled with people who are, most likely, going to kill me horribly.

I hope the 360 tails off slowly, sort of like the PS2 did (or still is I suppose arguably?), but I would really like to see some new hardware next year, and some more new IPs.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Dec 2012, 00:51

OXM ETboy wrote:Frankly, I'm expecting a fair few high profile "casualties" next gen regardless. There just isn't enough money in circulation.

I'm really expecting THQ to go down the drain (further?), next gen.

On a side note: Kryptos sounds like something out of Superman. :wink:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Dec 2012, 11:24

What about the news of Valves new Steambox (not sure that's the official name)? As far as I can see, with Microsoft pushing Kinect and casual games this could be where my money goes. Need to know some more first but I can see the next Xbox having integrated Kinect and I just have no interest in these rubbish systems. Valve can't really do any wrong in my eyes and having all the benefits of Steam in a console on my TV screen is a winner for me. I wonder how much of the core Xbox audience would jump ship
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Dec 2012, 11:29

ItchyRash wrote:What about the news of Valves new Steambox (not sure that's the official name)? As far as I can see, with Microsoft pushing Kinect and casual games this could be where my money goes. Need to know some more first but I can see the next Xbox having integrated Kinect and I just have no interest in these rubbish systems. Valve can't really do any wrong in my eyes and having all the benefits of Steam in a console on my TV screen is a winner for me. I wonder how much of the core Xbox audience would jump ship

It's Valve, they'll announce it now and it will launch in about 2018, possibly 2019...no wait it's all gone quiet again...oh 2024, no 2025... :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Dec 2012, 11:59

CunningSmile wrote:It's Valve, they'll announce it now and it will launch in about 2018, possibly 2019...no wait it's all gone quiet again...oh 2024, no 2025... :lol:

Very true. If they really wanted to shift units for it though they could always launch it with the mythical Half Life 3 as a timed exclusive. In 2025 obviously
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Dec 2012, 12:55

ItchyRash wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:It's Valve, they'll announce it now and it will launch in about 2018, possibly 2019...no wait it's all gone quiet again...oh 2024, no 2025... :lol:

Very true. If they really wanted to shift units for it though they could always launch it with the mythical Half Life 3 as a timed exclusive. In 2025 obviously

I heard it had been pushed back to 2026 :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Dec 2012, 13:48

CunningSmile wrote:Very true. If they really wanted to shift units for it though they could always launch it with the mythical Half Life 3 as a timed exclusive. In 2025 obviously.

I heard it had been pushed back to 2026 :lol:

No that's half life 2: episode 3. Half life 3 will be around the time when dinosaurs re-roam the earth, possibly 2061 or thereabouts.

As long as the next steam thing works offline :cry:

Not that I'm bitter...
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Dec 2012, 14:23

Well I'm sure my grandchildren will love both Half Life 2 Episode 3, Half Life 3 and the Steambox when it gets released.

Thanks Valve.
ItchyRash 42

Postby George_kalo » 12 Dec 2012, 20:50

NobleWarrior92 wrote: The Xbox 360 has at least 2 to 3 years of life left in it before it is time to move on.

Here in Kenya, it sucks when as soon as you have a new console....a nnext gen is released....got everything in April, kinect and stuff and now hearing of Next Gen is really bad for us, gamers here!! The 360 still has life... a lot of it for that matter and can survive for at least 2 or 3 more years!
George_kalo 2

Postby Pompey78 » 12 Dec 2012, 23:29

like others, I'm interested in what the Steam box will offer, when it will be released etc as a viable alternative to the next xbox or playstation offerings.

personally I've really enjoyed the 360 since launch, even queuing up to get it on launch day and then having my wife wrap it up for my Xmas present and being unable to play it for a month!

A new generation is about due not only from a tech perspective but to help sony and microsoft generate better revenue and create new revenue streams. Digital download games becoming the norm although a lower price point than what they currently are on the 360 would be needed. With the constant improvements and changes to the 360, the dashboard, media integration, smartglass etc all on the one generation (try and tell me previous generations have been so diverse and innovative in that respect) the next gen should really blow our socks off.... I hope.

While we've mentioned Steam one very large company that hasn't been mentioned is Apple. They have declared that they will seriously be looking at launching their Apple TV's 2013/14 and I would suspect they will come with enough interactive grunt to play apps, games, music etc with some form of kinect style integration. I'm not into gaming on tablets/ipads etc but lots are and the level of tech available in something as thin as an Ipad could easily be beefed up and integrated to a TV.

Previous rumours have suggested one form of the next xbox will be more TV based than a box under your TV, after all the way our world has developed in the last 20 years is to do away with single use items and the establishment of multi use products (smartphones, smartTV's. tablets, fridge freezers that do your shopping for you when you've run out of chilled goods etc).

I expect my next games console/tv to not only play games, catch up TV, stream HD movies and music but to do a whole lot more for which I haven't even thought of what the next big wow factor is.....well that's up to them of course :)
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 29

Next