to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

General PC/Steam Thread

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

General PC/Steam Thread

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Dec 2012, 11:16

Righto, over the last few weeks I updated all my games on steam because I knew I'd be moving and wouldn't have internet for awhile. I was also binning the giant 3 tonne crt tv as it goes green on occasions, I had the xbox set up to the monitor but thought I'd get a new tv at somepoint so would not bother with the xbox and just use the pc for gaming until I got a tv.

Then I move, set up the pc, run steam in offline mode to get the message "steam network couldn't be found blah blah blah, try again, cancel or troubleshoot."

Now try again obviously comes up with the same problem, cancel just shuts it down and troubleshoot leads me to a webpage that unsurprisingly says no internet connection available, unable to find webpage. Ironic but not funny.

As a result I'm locked out of all of my games as they require steam and steam won't start in offline mode. I've tried launching them from the folders but no luck.

Anyone any ideas?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Re: Steam

Postby golliwoza » 12 Dec 2012, 11:31

I have had the same problem before, unfortunatly I could not find a solution so whenever I know that I will not have an internet connection I set Steam to go into offline mode (in the Steam tab at the top left corner) before closing it. After shutting down and restarting, steam will then come up with a new window asking if you want to stay in offline mode or to go back online. If you stay in offline mode Steam should work normally and have no further problems on future boots when you are going offline.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Dec 2012, 13:03

It had been working offline all last week, maybe I shut it down whilst it was online without stopping it. Obviously thought it was slightly more robust than tissue paper. Bloody annoying though, wanted to go through the original deus ex again and company of heroes.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby msbhvn » 29 Dec 2012, 18:21

I researched using offline mode before I got phone line broadband (when I had terribly low download limits) and the general consensus was "don't bother" as it seems to be designed not to work when you have no connection, which is the only time you need offline mode!

There's a troubleshooter, though it isn't very comprehensive, here.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Jan 2013, 13:35

Not really on-topic, but not off topic either; How the hell do you set up a 360 controller with a pc for gaming? I'm going to use steam for 90% of them, but I've no idea what is up. Part of the reason I hate PC gaming, it's never plug and play, you're always faffing about. Any help will be appreciated, however I'll be channeling Karl Pilkington for as long as I can.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby SidTheSloth » 05 Jan 2013, 13:59

Bezza89 wrote:Not really on-topic, but not off topic either; How the hell do you set up a 360 controller with a pc for gaming? I'm going to use steam for 90% of them, but I've no idea what is up. Part of the reason I hate PC gaming, it's never plug and play, you're always faffing about. Any help will be appreciated, however I'll be channeling Karl Pilkington for as long as I can.

Bear in mind not all PC games support controllers - so controls won't be analogue etc.

Make sure you downloaded the necessary software/drivers for the controller (later versions of windows normally do this automatically, but believe the software allows you to reconfigure).

Programs such as xpadder can be a big help.

Don't be scared of PC controls though, trying to use a controller for a game designed for keyboard is sometimes illogical - a bit like using a keyboard to play Halo? Some RPG's especially, you can program so many keys it's untrue and can make things much easier. Getting a gaming mouse & keyboard can be a help too - they have more buttons which can be programmed to send different keys or even combinations/macros. For default PC controls, google 'wasd'... :wink:
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Jan 2013, 16:11

Yeah back online now so it's not a problem but the official response I got from Valve? Try going online to sort out your offline problems. About as useful as a chocolate teapot Valve, but thanks anyhow.

Still, their deals have just made me poorer along with the fact I got my girlfriend and then myself hooked on Civ V...

As far as controllers I don't bother, just stick with the keyboard but I was under the impression the xbox controller could directly plug into a pc and be used straight away without the need for patches and whatnot. Still obviously depends on whether the game itself is compatible.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Jan 2013, 22:25

SidTheSloth wrote:Programs such as xpadder can be a big help.

Don't be scared of PC controls though, trying to use a controller for a game designed for keyboard is sometimes illogical - a bit like using a keyboard to play Halo? Some RPG's especially, you can program so many keys it's untrue and can make things much easier. Getting a gaming mouse & keyboard can be a help too - they have more buttons which can be programmed to send different keys or even combinations/macros. For default PC controls, google 'wasd'... :wink:

I've heard xpadder is not free, it's for games like GTA, Ghost recon etc, games which are better with a pad. Yes, some will argue away with their 'mouse is better' but remember I'm on a laptop so using my 360 controller is much easier than buying some gay mouse. NB, I played all of Half Life 2 with my touch pad; that was hardcore. If it's total war or rpgs, generally games which don't require me to multitask a camera with buttons, if it's that then I'm ok, but for my shooty games I'm very much pad only by choice and by resources.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby msbhvn » 05 Jan 2013, 23:35

Bezza89 wrote:

I've heard xpadder is not free, it's for games like GTA, Ghost recon etc, games which are better with a pad. Yes, some will argue away with their 'mouse is better' but remember I'm on a laptop so using my 360 controller is much easier than buying some gay mouse. NB, I played all of Half Life 2 with my touch pad; that was hardcore. If it's total war or rpgs, generally games which don't require me to multitask a camera with buttons, if it's that then I'm ok, but for my shooty games I'm very much pad only by choice and by resources.

If you're connected to the internet, Windows should automatically download the drivers (around 2.6MB) when you plug in a wired 360 pad, at least it did for me, so there's no need to pay extra for a specific "for Windows" one. You can always go to the MS Hardware site and download it if it doesn't work straight away.

The USB dongle to use wireless pads on Windows supposedly isn't recognised by some games, but I can't elaborate because I don't have one. You also can't get it on its own any more (unless you can find one online that isn't a Chinese knock-off like all the ones on Amazon, read the reviews), you have to buy it with a controller, and they don't have ones with the transforming d-pad.

A free alternative to xpadder is GlovePIE, but you either have to learn the scripting commands, which isn't that hard after you see a couple of examples, or find a script file for your game. Download it here. I'm using it at the moment with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and it works flawlessly.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Jan 2013, 11:44

Bezza89 wrote:

Where would you get a gay mouse from? A branch of Currys run by Louis Spence?
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 61

Postby Bezza89 » 06 Jan 2013, 18:43

lol Marks and Spence.
Bezza89 67

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Jan 2013, 19:05

Bezza89 wrote:lol Marks and Spence.

:lol: Points to that man.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 61

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Jan 2013, 16:36

Still no luck finding software to easily run the controller, why can't I just control my mouse with the right stick and map the trigger buttons? These are the only problems, pretty major ones though, not being able to control a camera is pretty ridiculous, and the triggers just wont map on anything - it's really frustrating.
Bezza89 67

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Jan 2013, 16:47

What happens when you just plug in an xbox controller into the pc?

Think I had one of the first sidewinder pads but since the days of destruction derby 2 I've become a real man who doesn't need pads. Someone who needs pads is clearly a woman.

Sadly can't help you though, sorry :(
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby Clanger67 » 07 Jan 2013, 17:14

Not sure either Bezza not bothered with the pc for gaming much since i have had the 360.Even when i did do a fair bit of pc gaming used mouse and keyboard mostly as i mostly played first/third person etc.Not sure how windows goes on with pads either now i had xp last time i gamed a lot and it would only pick the original x box controller up as four axis six button pad as i recall.Think Sid would be the man with the facts on that.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Next