to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Levine: white supremacists think Bioshock Infinite is "a whi

Your comments on our articles.

And "left-leaning websites think we're trying to tear down the labor movement"

Early on in Bioshock Infinite, you're treated to a grisly staging of the racism propounded by Columbia's ruling class, the ultra-nationalist Founders. The scene serves as a trigger point, tipping a period of exploration over into carnage, and not everybody's happy with the results. In an illuminating interview with PC Gamer, Irrational boss Ken Levine has discussed some of the more extreme responses to Infinite's mishmash of political standpoints.... read more

Levine: white supremacists think Bioshock Infinite is "a whi

Postby Grummy » 14 Dec 2012, 12:00

People like that disgust me. How dare he be a Jew damn him to Jewish hell! Heil Hitler!

For those of you who are on the epic side of stupid, the preceding joke was brought to you buy 'Sarcasm' "You don't get it, so you bitch and whinge and cry instead".

Truth is, these people who are raising complaints about this game make me sick. It's a piece of entertainment media. Yes, entertainment can have a political bias, Family Guy is about as strong a weekly political statement as you'll find anywhere, but it's rare that politics take precedence over entertainment. If you can pick out a particular political statement in a game then great, but don't forget to check your indignation at the door, engage your brain and see if, y'know, it's just a by product of the story telling and not a subversive attempt to destabilize a political movement. I like to champion the pro-woman stance that Infinite shows, but I don't for a minute believe that Ken Levine is secretly trying to force a campaign funded by feminazis sponsered by Veet, and I don't expect him to be standing outside of Gamestop in New York on release day burning bras. The femininity of the game gives a certain personality and insight into characters, particularly, I would assume, Elizabeth. It's NOT some political agenda.

Seriously, politics and passion for your politics is fine, but if you can't be sensible with it, then gtfo and don't comeback until you've put a bullet hole in your head, because then you'd be a zombie and actually interesting and worth somebodies damn.
Last edited by Grummy on 14 Dec 2012, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Re: Levine: white supremacists think Bioshock Infinite is "a

Postby Waffles2541 » 14 Dec 2012, 12:20

The Tea Party is one of the single most stupid political groups on the planet. Pay absolutely no attention to them as they deserve none. I guarantee the same sort of outcry is going to come out of the AC3 The Tyranny of King Washington DLC by extremist political parties. It is an entertainment media, and more importantly it is a game. People really need to stop taking games too seriously.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Dec 2012, 12:53

Grummy wrote:Yes, entertainment can have a political bias, Family Guy is about as strong a weekly political statement as you'll find anywhere, but it's rare that politics take precedence over entertainment.

I find Fox News incredibly politically bias and that often outstrips the entertainment...

...what do you mean Fox News isn't a work of satirical fiction? People actually watch that show for the news? Are they idiots?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 14 Dec 2012, 16:42

Yes. Yes, they are. And there are an awful lot of them thar idiots. The real problem is that idiots gravitate towards each other, and turn out to be highly influential bunches of idiots.

Then they go into politics, and the circle is complete.
Chameleon 44

Postby EdDeRs1 » 14 Dec 2012, 19:02

so idiots gravitate towards one another....
well that clears up a more than a few questions i have about America
f**k America, rule Britannia, im off
---——-/´¯/)——--(\¯`\
———/—//———--\—\
——--/—//————-\—\
—-/´¯/—/´¯\———/¯`\—\¯`\
-/-/--/—/—/-|_—-_|-\---\—\—\-\ -
(-(—(—(—/-)--)--(--(-\—)—)—)-)
-\————\/--/—\—\/————/
--\———— /——\-————/
—\-———-(———)———-
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby msbhvn » 14 Dec 2012, 19:12

I'm definitely going to boycott this game now! How dare he put characters in a game and show them in a negative light! How dare he use historical fact for his own nefarious ends! My great-great-grandmother lived in a city made of hot air balloons even though she was afraid of heights, never got to vote and her husband died in both world wars!

I'm off to burn down Ken Levine's house, offices and the McDonalds he frequents! We'll see how he feels about his clearly-based-in-reality political allegory then!

/righteous indignation
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Drainwater » 15 Dec 2012, 02:13

Well it wouldn't be art if it wasn't offending somebody...
Drainwater 34

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Dec 2012, 10:49

Drainwater wrote:Well it wouldn't be art if it wasn't offending somebody...

Give this man the key to the internetz for he is my new God :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby DarthTwitch » 20 Dec 2012, 19:36

Who the f**k cares what a bunch of white-trash Neo-Nazis think, anyway? Screw those guys.

http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/ ... tbp228.jpg
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14