to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Best Xbox 360 games: top eight games for non-gamers

Your comments on our articles.

Get your apathetic loved ones involved

Every Christmas, a terrible battle commences in the Evans-Thirlwell household. "Let's play charades!" says the enterprising drama/TV personality known as my older younger sister. "Let's play blackjack!" says my other sister, adding "with real money" under her breath. "Let's just sit here stuffing our faces!" opines my brother, assuming he doesn't have his mouth full. "Those are all excellent choices," I grandly proclaim. "But I really must throw my weight behind Gears of War. As in, the videogame. I write about them, remember?"... read more

Best Xbox 360 games: top eight games for non-gamers

Postby DarthTwitch » 14 Dec 2012, 13:47

Cue huge argument about the definition of "gamer" according to Evans-Thirlwell.

The lines between "casual" and "hardcore" are quite blurred these days. Besides, as far as I am concerned, if you own a system and play said system regularly, that makes you a gamer. I don't think you can compile a list of games meant for non-gamers, because if you have a system in which to play ANY game on, you're a gamer.

There is way too much snobbishness in the scene.
Last edited by DarthTwitch on 14 Dec 2012, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Re: Best Xbox 360 games: top eight games for non-gamers

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Dec 2012, 14:08

Got to love gentle irony.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Dec 2012, 14:19

Whose talking about Hardcore or casual? These games are for non-gamers, whatever your definition of them, these games are for those guys. On a side note, I think people labelled as casual themselves claim they are 'non-gamers', or that they aren't a gamer. It's a slippery slope, but luckily, I'm using the ski lift.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby IW1911 » 14 Dec 2012, 15:17

DarthTwitch wrote:Cue huge argument about the definition of "gamer" according to Evans-Thirlwell.

The lines between "casual" and "hardcore" are quite blurred these days. Besides, as far as I am concerned, if you own a system and play said system regularly, that makes you a gamer. I don't think you can compile a list of games meant for non-gamers, because if you have a system in which to play ANY game on, you're a gamer.

I think you missed the point of the article. It's basically saying "I am a gamer. My friends and family aren't. This is a list of games I would ask them to play with me/show them on my Xbox that would ease them into the concept of gaming"

So you can compile a list of games for non gamers. And I think your point of snobbishness applies quite well here.

On track though, this is a good article. A bit far from what is on the list, but I introduced my wife to gaming by getting her to play Dynasty Warriors 7 with me. She's now got her own profile and pink controller.
IW1911 21

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Dec 2012, 15:21

I've got a games system, always have done, but that doesn't mean that everyone I live with uses it. I've had several girlfriends who couldn't care less about my battles to save Kingdom X. This is a list aimed at getting those people involved, not starting a debate on casual/hardcore

@ IW1911

You made your girlfriend play Dynasty Warriors? And you still have a girlfriend? :wink:
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Waffles2541 » 14 Dec 2012, 17:35

DarthTwitch wrote:Cue huge argument about the definition of "gamer" according to Evans-Thirlwell.

My dad owns an Xbox but there is no way he is a gamer. He only plays Halo and CoD occasionally, and rarely touches it for anything else. I wouldn't even call him casual, he is that bad at them that he doesn't even deserves that title.

For some people it is a simple system an occasional entertainment purposes, and that does not even count people who might come over your house one day and just join you for a second on one of these games. I mean Christ my grandparents have a wii used only for Wii sports and other crap.

Having a system doesn't automatically make you a gamer, like reading a book doesn't automatically make you a book worm.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby againstwee » 14 Dec 2012, 17:40

Hey guys, first post on this site though I've been reading for a while now.

A few other games that my wife loved though she is by no stretch of the imagination a gamer.

Minecraft: Both xbox and pc versions. There's something very accessible about it that she clung on to... and wont.. let.. go! GET OFF MY MINECRAFT ACCOUNT WOMAN!

Red Dead Redemption: She fell in love with the story of this game. Though never actually playing it herself she actually encouraged me to stick the xbox on just so she could see what was going to happen next.

Portal: It was fun sitting figuring out the puzzles together.. and yelling at each other when we couldn't do them.. then doing them and thinking we're awesome.

Braid: Same reasons as portal. Spending hours going insane on one puzzle only to finally get that eureka moment.

Super Meat Boy: It's simplicity is its trump card. No matter how unfair you think you are being treated by this game you know deep down it's only your own lack of skill and patience that's keeping you from progressing.

That's all I can think of now, hope my first post wasn't too long!
againstwee 3

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Dec 2012, 17:57

Hi againstwee, welcome to the site. Good first post. Red Dead Redemption should have been on the list, really - there are tonnes of callbacks to Wild West cinema there, as you say. I recall my dad being interested :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Carpet Monkey » 16 Dec 2012, 04:51

May I asks add Spelunky? My girlfriend got hugely addicted to that with my - great coop fun and not easy! She also loved the Walking Dead games and we both played Rayman to death 1 probably one of the greatest ever 360 games in my book. And she is most definitely a non-gamer!
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby thewrongtrousers » 16 Dec 2012, 15:13

againstwee wrote:
Red Dead Redemption: She fell in love with the story of this game. Though never actually playing it herself she actually encouraged me to stick the xbox on just so she could see what was going to happen next.

My partner did as well, although she also liked to watch me play GoW1-3 and encouraged me to play that - we even tried co-op a few times but she always ended up skywatching (my four year old daughter has got more controller ability).

Personally though I'd say board games and similar e.g. Trivial Pursuit, Scene It etc are a good way to introduce non gamers, I've introduced several people this way that had showed no previous interest in gaming.
thewrongtrousers 28

Postby RTY1998 » 18 Dec 2012, 18:06

[quote][The Walking Dead] a spin-off series that's actually better than the TV show that inspired it/quote]

No, no, no, no, no!!!! The Walking Dead game has absolutely nothing to do with the TV series, which it is superior to! It is based off the comics, which it is inferior to. I know it's a common and easy mistake to make, but it still annoys the hell out of me!
RTY1998 35

Postby DarthTwitch » 20 Dec 2012, 11:33

OXM ETboy wrote:Got to love gentle irony.

Blaaargh, I'm ill, I've been mis-reading everything lately, ignore my weirder-than-usual posts. And I prefer irony that smacks you in the face like a sledgehammer anyway :lol:
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby DarthTwitch » 20 Dec 2012, 11:34

RTY1998 wrote:
[The Walking Dead] a spin-off series that's actually better than the TV show that inspired it/quote]

No, no, no, no, no!!!! The Walking Dead game has absolutely nothing to do with the TV series, which it is superior to! It is based off the comics, which it is inferior to. I know it's a common and easy mistake to make, but it still annoys the hell out of me!

Yeah, this. I meet so many people who seem to think The Walking Dead started off as a TV show, and then are quite shocked to find that said TV show is actually quite bad compared to the legendary comic.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby PonderingWalrus » 04 Jan 2013, 18:42

I like how this article is in the Kinect section despite the fact a number of the games aren't even Kinect related.

Non - gamers? We'll just throw it into the Kinect section.

Definitely get the feeling Kinect will forever be condemned to the "casual" market.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Jan 2013, 18:46

Fear not - it's only in the Kinect section because I, sir, am an idiot.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Next