to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The OXM Forum Top Games of 2012

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

The OXM Forum Top Games of 2012

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Dec 2012, 19:27

Hey guys, it's (originally Decent Jams) OXM forum game of the year thread where we compile a list of our favourite games released this year for Xbox 360 and this alone.

Wikipedia has provided quite a handy list of every game released in 2012 provided here;

MGS HD
Catherine
Final Fantasy XIII-2
NeverDead
Soulcalibur V
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
The Darkness II
Grand Slam Tennis 2
Phantom Breaker
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
UFC Undisputed 3
Asura's Wrath
Syndicate
Binary Domain
SSX
Mass Effect 3
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Street Fighter X Tekken
FIFA Street
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
Armored Core V
Ninja Gaiden 3
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Silent Hill HD Collection
Capcom Digital Collection
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Prototype 2
Silent Hill: Downpour
Battleship
Game of Thrones
Max Payne 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Dragon's Dogma
Inversion
Lollipop Chainsaw
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Spec Ops: The Line
The Amazing Spider-Man
Darksiders II
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena
Sleeping Dogs
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
NHL 13
Borderlands 2
Angry Birds Trilogy
Resident Evil 6
Dishonored
Fable: The Journey
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Forza Horizon
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Assassin's Creed III
WWE '13
Halo 4
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Hitman: Absolution
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Far Cry 3

It's by no means a complete list, Fifa 13 is missing for some reason, as is that rocksmith game - but it may help refresh memories. No arcade games are there either, off the top of my head;

Minecraft
Trials Evolution
Fez
I am Alive
Alan Wake American Nightmare

...pfft I don't play much arcade...

Counter Strike...

Anyway, I think the rules were list five games that were the best, with one being depicted as your top game. Also you can have ONE arcade game as well, otherwise you're using up your other votes and I just can't be arsed to count them, saying that, I said I cba doing that list, it's half arsed though :wink:

Please feel free to add your thoughts about the games you've chosen to make it more interesting, maybe even a score if you're so inclined, but don't feel obliged to.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: The OXM Forum Top Games of 2012

Postby Maverick_McCool » 17 Dec 2012, 19:45

Great , just posted this in last years thread - DOH! Anyhoo , here it is again:

I;m in

1 : X-Com by a landslide. Just my perfect game this year can't fault it 10/10

And again in no particular order :

Um , wow I can't think of anything that has really stood out this year.......I guess I'll go with.

2:The Witcher 2
3:Sleeping Dogs
4:Dragons Dogma
5:Hitman Absolution ( after it sinks in that it's not really a true Hitman game it's actually a quite good game.)

Odd that in a year featuring some big ass sequels like AC3 BL2 and ME3. X-Com - a game I had never even heard of and had no interest in before I saw the vid on this very site has blown all the other games this year out of the water for me.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby schwepterbrowser » 17 Dec 2012, 19:56

I've barely played any of this year's releases and the ones I have were mostly disappointing.

The best I can do for now is list MGS HD as my retail choice and The Walking Dead as my XBLA choice. I'll update once I've actually played some of the stuff I have lying around from this year (Halo 4, ACIII, Hitman, LEGO Lord of the Rings soon & others I can’t think of), though even then I still need to pick up the likes of XCOM and Dishonoured...
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Dec 2012, 19:57

I have in hindsight bumped that old thread into making it easily confusable between the two. I think I'm going to go for XCOM too, I wont post yet as I can't decide and am terribly behind with FC3 but it has grabbed my balls more than all the others have so far, in a metaphorical and good way. Then there's MGS HD which I forgot I even played this year, it's like I was born playing it.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby DGR1980 » 17 Dec 2012, 20:05

XCOM is my top game by a country mile.

My other 4 in no particular order

Dragons Dogma
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Forza Horizon
Lego Lord of the Rings
DGR1980 39

Postby Grummy » 17 Dec 2012, 20:08

1. Far Cry 3
2. Dragon's Dogma
3. X-COM
4. Lego Batman 2
5. Lego Lord of the Rings.

This is such a close call this year, I honestly think this year has been the best year for games this generation. 2 Lego games in my top 5 would make people think it's been a bad year, but they're that good that they beat out Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2 and FIFA 13 amongst others.

My top 3 choices pretty much came down to just personal feeling, there was really nothing between them otherwise. Far Cry gets the nod as my top game simply because of how awesome every moment of playing it is, and how even the bad bits, aren't all that bad, they're just slightly less awesome than the rest. I put Dragon's Dogma 2nd over XCOM because despite how many problems it had, Dragon's Dogma was an incredible gaming experience, it's not technically a better game, but it was just amazing to play at the time we were all playing it.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby schwepterbrowser » 17 Dec 2012, 20:08

You've just reminded me of the existance of FC3 and GR:FS. Need to get both of those too.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby msbhvn » 17 Dec 2012, 20:19

Didn't vote last year, can't think why now. :oops:

This year's list is quite difficult compared to last year where Skyrim was a clear winner.

1: Borderlands 2, hardly a clear winner as it has a lot of problems such as lame raid bosses, low drop rates for decent items and lacklustre DLC, but it's still a very solid game.
2: Mass Effect 3, had it not had such a rushed and nonsensical ending, it would have been number one.
3: Dragon's Dogma, not such a brilliant game in itself, but the epic forum thread and pawn/equipment sharing gave me weeks of enjoyment.
4: Dishonored, gently challenging (okay, I put it on Easy) stealth-em-up with fun supernatural powers and unique world, though not as deep as it could have been.
5: Sleeping Dogs, surprise hit with a good satisfying story, it's just a shame the side missions and most of the DLC were worthless. Must play Nightmare in North Point at some time in the future, too.

Honourable Mention: Max Payne 3, a weird combination of too short and too long, and the frustration level was astronomical, how many times did I perfectly head shot an UFE soldier and just knock off his beret? The story was a fantastic pulpy crime thriller and I hear tell the multiplayer is good too.

Xbox Live Arcade: Alan Wake's American Nightmare, even if I haven't finished it yet.

Biggest disappointment of the year: Darksiders 2, started strong but fell to pieces half way through and didn't recover. The Season Pass DLC had a total of about two hours of gameplay and huge gamebreaking bugs for 1600MSP.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Plamsa wing » 17 Dec 2012, 20:52

The only game that stood out for me this year, in order of most favourite were.

1: XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

2: Dragon's Dogma.

3: Far Cry 3.

4: Catherine. Am I the only person that has played/is still playing ( :x ), this?

5: Dishonoured/Transformers: Fall of Cybertron/Sleeping Dogs/Mass Effect 3.

Been a bit disappointing this year for me really, don't why, maybe I'm becoming a bit more picky?
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Dec 2012, 20:57

I thought I was being more picky after the august-november releases, most were great before, and FC3 has been excellent, but all the major releases in the time period given were just, meh, they were not terrible or anything, just not amazing in anyway.

Can I pick skyrim again? I'm struggling :?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Dec 2012, 10:23

Tough one this year. As others have said the two big franchises that I would normally vote for (ME and AC) have proved a bit of a disappointment, and a few titles I was really looking forward to have either been pushed back or fell flat. Here goes:

=1) Dishonoured. I was looking forward to this from the start, but really really enjoyed it once I got it and so it's one of my joint favs this year
=1) Spec Ops: The Line. Joint first for this. As a shooter it had it's faults, but the ambition of an anti-war military game deserves respect, with some really great dialogue and I love the later loading screens that start asking if you're proud of your body count, and do you feel like a hero yet?
3) Sleeping Dogs. Was gutted when True Crime: Hong Kong was axed and so glad when it got picked up. It was nice to have a sandbox that wasn't yet another US city, and the undercover aspect just gave it a new flavour.
4) Mass Effect 3. The ending was an anticlimax (I don't dislike it, I just found it a slump) but the rest was a really great game finishing a great franchise.
5) Can I claim an HD rerelease of a Gamecube game? Resi 4.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby scotty » 18 Dec 2012, 11:36

I'm miles behind on buying new games this year, I have a scraping so thin that Bilbo Baggins would moan if it was the butter on his toast.

Mass Effect 3.. I really enjoyed it, was a little disappointed with the ending but not enough to get all weird about it. It was such an epic journey for me and I don't think any other games have come close.

Hitman Absolution.. Playing through this slowly and thoroughly enjoying it, it can be a bit clunky at times.

Halo 4.. Very enjoyable on coop, nicely polished.

Max Payne 3.. It's Max Payne!
scotty 49

Postby Grummy » 18 Dec 2012, 11:57

I'd like all the oxm team to poke their heads in and comment on this one please, then at the beginning of next week, it could be published to the site as a 'oxm regulars top 5 GotY' then announce the accumulative top 5 by collating the number of votes they got like you did for last year.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby StreakyMcMeeky » 19 Dec 2012, 16:39

1. Far Cry 3
2. Fifa 13
3. Mass Effect 3
4. Assassin's Creed III
5. Hitman: Absolution
StreakyMcMeeky 25

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Dec 2012, 21:12

1. Far Cry 3

2. COD BLOPS 2

3. NHL 13

4. Madden NFL 13

5. FIFA 13
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Next