to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Sun, Daily Express newspapers suggest link between Lanza kil

Your comments on our articles.

"Shockingly violent fantasy war game" may have "inspired" massacre, claims report

Debate about the ethics of violent videogames has kicked off again, following claims that the man responsible for the slaughter of school children in Connecticut was a fan of Call of Duty and the Dynasty Warriors series.... read more

Postby DarthTwitch » 18 Dec 2012, 12:28

Horse-shit reactionary and sensationalist propaganda from the right-wing masters of peddling bullshit. I will make this as brief as I can because I don't want to dwell on such stupidity for long - How long have violent videogames existed? Right, now how long has violence amongst humans existed for? Somewhere around about....the dawn of f**king time, right?

People have been murdering each other in horrible, brutal ways for far longer than violent videogames have existed. This argument is completely stupid. Hey, maybe The Sun wants to bury their heads in the sand, but humans are violent by nature. Videogames don't contribute. They just don't.

Oh, and I'm sure (he said with sarcasm) that constant reporting on the major wars that the Western world are causing, fighting and perpetuating are also blameless, right? Piss off, Murdoch.
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Postby ItchyRash » 18 Dec 2012, 12:29

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was violence in this world long before films and games or violent rap music. Some people are just angry, dangerous individuals and unfortunately those issues will manifest themselves one way or another if they play violent games or not.

Age ratings are there for a reason. The parents know the child and what their personalities are. They should be responsible for what they expose that child to. Be a parent. It's not up to any games designer or film maker to teach your child what's right and wrong, what's fantasy and reality. In the case of the horrific murders of those children I think you can look much closer to home than Mass Effect. I won't judge the parents as I have no idea what his family situation was but the blame certainly doesn't fall at the feet of the entertainment industry. Everyone wants to find an excuse for a crime that is inexcusable
ItchyRash 42

Postby bamozzy » 18 Dec 2012, 12:32

Yet again the press have to blame something for the fact that 'Lanza' was obviously very disturbed in the first place. I am certain that this hideous crime would have been committed by 'Lanza' regardless of the games, TV or Film preferences. These type of crimes have been happening for a lot longer than 'Call of Duty' has been running!!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby O0mix0O » 18 Dec 2012, 12:38

This doesn't surprise me one bit. It's a daily occurrence games being blamed for real world atrocities and once again, tabloid newspapers printing it, caring more about the money they get for stirring up 'intellectual debate' (clueless hatred) than actually laying out the facts. I've seen multiple stories on various media groups blaming gaming for the school massacres which unfortunately are becoming a part of normal life. "A school massacre, yeah heard about it. Oh a different one? Another one?"

I've read some of the comments on Bioware's page and it is clearly just mob mentality, knowing very little about videogames and just using them as a scapegoat. People saying games should come with a big sticker saying "Warning, this isn't the same as reality!!" How stupid can you get? Anyone who has shot a real weapon knows the difference, mainly because you turn off the tv, put down the controller, go and pick up a heavy rifle and load a real bullet and pull a real trigger.

More time should be spent looking into mental health, quite clearly the people who do these awful things are not thinking like normal human beings do and so should be given assistance and support but instead there will be a massive debate about gun control laws and video games. These people should actually pick up a controller and play a game and see if they want to kill someone afterwards. People will say "But they are obsessed, the lines between the game world and reality blur" Well don't you think that might be something wrong with the person and not the game?

Many people use games to relax and blow of steam, and most of the population do play games on a regular basis. Of these people only a very small percentage actually get a weapon and shoot another person and these are people with obvious mental health issues. It actually boggles the mind as to how people can be so naive.
O0mix0O 5

Re: Sun, Daily Express newspapers suggest link between Lanza

Postby Chameleon » 18 Dec 2012, 12:55

My only surprise is that you only listed the Sun and the Daily Express - this is something I would have expected from the Daily Mail, right next to their exhilarating articles about how oxygen causes cancer and why HIV is God's punishment for liberalism...

Anyway - enough of this rubbish. The more we talk about this, the more relevant their claim appears to be. Just dismiss it as such an improbable concept that it isn't worth discussing and move along.
Chameleon 44

Postby Mendes » 18 Dec 2012, 13:18

Peter Wlasuk. wrote:"I'm not blaming the games for what happened," he said. "But they see a picture of a historical gun and say 'I've used that on Call Of Duty'."

Well Peter Wlasuk, I AM BLAMING VIDEO GAMES! Absolute EVIL is what they are....

Just the other week I went to Venice with my girlfriend, upon seeing the Campinale di San Marco for the first time in 'real life' I turned to her and said that I had climbed it in Assassins Creed II.

No quicker had she had time to roll her eyes at my obsessive comparison of virtual life to real life yet again, than I was off... like a mindless drone with no free will... compulsively climbing it for real!!! It was really bloody difficult, I don't know if I'd just expected just my thumbs to ache but by the time I was at the top my whole body hurt.

I could only just see my girlfriend, who was practically a dot far below, but from the stomping of feet and the waving of arms I could tell she was upset at the risk I'd been forced to take. At this point another compulsion took me, I could win her Achievement, damn I mean her respect, by showing her my swallow dive....

...and this is my point, in real life there are no hay bales! I broke both arms and both legs and my back in three places, lucky I'm told to have survived, my fall was only broken slightly by the foot deep Acqua Alta.

I just thank heavens I didn't see the Doge while I was there, I would definitely have stabbed him in the neck!
Last edited by Mendes on 18 Dec 2012, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Mendes 34

Postby SkinnerChinner » 18 Dec 2012, 13:25

Tabloid newpapers blaming video games for horrific crimes? Nothing new here...How many more cowardly individuals will be "excused" (for want of a better word) of responsibility for the henious crimes due to some 'influence' of video games? That's what I find most sickening...Now, I know this isn't a black & white scenario, and I absolutely agree games do have a degree of responsibility for their content, some games are more approriate older audiences, thats what the certification is for! I'm a fan or the Criminal Minds TV series, Silence of the Lambs happens to be one of my favourite novels, and I've played every Call of Duty game since the first (and actually, I know more about historical firearms & confilict from reading history books/watching documentaries than from any game so that comment is BS), do I go out an re-enact what I've watched or read? No. No I don't - because I know the difference between reality & a video game, if someone doesn't, considering the inevitable claim the "lines get blurred" - don't you think theres something wrong with the person??! Perhaps if that view was more common, he may of had the support & help he needed. The same articles mention his mental health & mother un-natural paranoia, yet overlook those to place "greater" blame on their favourite scapegoat - journalism at its best!

To quote DarthTwitch;

DarthTwitch wrote:how long has violence amongst humans existed for? Somewhere around about....the dawn of f**king time, right? People have been murdering each other in horrible, brutal ways for far longer than violent videogames have existed
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 18 Dec 2012, 13:42, edited 4 times in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby Darth Mousemat » 18 Dec 2012, 13:33

DarthTwitch wrote:Horse-shit reactionary and sensationalist propaganda from the right-wing masters of peddling bullshit.

Best....First Sentence....Ever!!!
Darth Mousemat 23

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Dec 2012, 13:35

Scream 2 used it for films but applies just as well for games:

They don't create psychopaths, they just give them ideas.

This guy was a disturbed individual living in a country where it's cheaper and easier to buy a gun then the medical help he obviously needed. The only thing I find surprising is that it doesn't happen more.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 18 Dec 2012, 13:55

The problem with this issue is people take a complete view one way or the other: "violent games are to all blame" "violent games are totally not to blame"

I think the truth is in between. Young children are undoubtedly influenced by violent media. I've seen little kids come away from fighting games, and start kicking each other, copying the moves they've seen. A kid I know saw The Mask and spent the rest of the afternoon running around like a maniac. Or two boys coming out of Rocky, and one punching the other in the face.

Adults are more able to control this influence, but I for one can still come away from intense multiplayer matches with a huge adrenaline rush, and regularly hear opponents getting insanely aggressive and angry. When you include mental illness in the picture, the barriers between leaving the aggression with the controller and taking it into reality are further lowered.

However, while it is impossible and stupid to deny that violent media is a contributing factor, there are many far more important circumstances at play.
Last edited by Thos. on 18 Dec 2012, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 43

Postby rocket rankin » 18 Dec 2012, 13:57

I have played some of the most violent games out there, resident evil, dead space, condemed, sillent hill, manhunt and all the common fps shooters. Im 22 now so i was still quite young playing those games (resident evil 3 gave me nightmares at one point) and i have never had any desire to walk in to a school or shopping mall and kill kids or adults. Americas gun laws and adam lanza are the ones to blame. Not whatever game he played. Jack the ripper and ted bundy didnt play call of duty...
rocket rankin 22

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Dec 2012, 14:17

rocket rankin wrote:I have played some of the most violent games out there, resident evil, dead space, condemed, sillent hill, manhunt and all the common fps shooters. Im 22 now so i was still quite young playing those games (resident evil 3 gave me nightmares at one point) and i have never had any desire to walk in to a school or shopping mall and kill kids or adults. Americas gun laws and adam lanza are the ones to blame. Not whatever game he played. Jack the ripper and ted bundy didnt play call of duty...

They never caught the Ripper, he may have been a huge CoD fan :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 18 Dec 2012, 14:35

CunningSmile wrote:Scream 2 used it for films but applies just as well for games:

They don't create psychopaths, they just give them ideas.

This guy was a disturbed individual living in a country where it's cheaper and easier to buy a gun then the medical help he obviously needed. The only thing I find surprising is that it doesn't happen more.

I'll wait patiently whilst you find me the mass produced, easily accessible video game based around murdering schoolchildren.

Seriously, I don't buy that 'they just give them ideas' argument any more. It used to be something the industry/gamers would say in their defence 'people were already crazy, maybe we might have given them an idea', but it's just not true. The games industry and gamers don't have to hide away and be ashamed or afraid of such egregious bullshit any more, we haven't done anything wrong. A psycho is a psycho, games or not, and it doesn't take a genius to think up the classic 'I'll go somewhere where I can shoot lots of people', because that's all it is, just a choice of where they can go to make the biggest mark, hence why that wackadoo let loose in the cinema during TDKR, lots of people in a crowded space, big movie release. Murdered school kids will always be big news, and an easy target in a free gun society.

The games industry and gamers at large have the right to say a massive "f**k you" to the press and to every half brained dipshit who points their fingers at us. Frankly, I'm a little pissed off that the industry doesn't stick up for itself. That woman who bitched at Bioware, she deserves to be humiliated and made to look the ignorant bitch she is, and wahts more, Bioware should do it themselves.

Stick up for yourselves games industry, for the love of god, please! It's about time we stopped being the media's whipping boy.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 18 Dec 2012, 14:50

Thos. wrote:The problem with this issue is people take a complete view one way or the other: "violent games are to all blame" "violent games are totally not to blame"

I think the truth is in between. Young children are undoubtedly influenced by violent media. I've seen little kids come away from fighting games, and start kicking each other, copying the moves they've seen. A kid I know saw The Mask and spent the rest of the afternoon running around like a maniac. Or two boys coming out of Rocky, and one punching the other in the face.

Adults are more able to control this influence, but I for one can still come away from intense multiplayer matches with a huge adrenaline rush, and regularly hear opponents getting insanely aggressive and angry. When you include mental illness in the picture, the barriers between leaving the aggression with the controller and taking it into reality are further lowered.

However, while it is impossible and stupid to deny that violent media is a contributing factor, there are many far more important circumstances at play.

Whilst I agree with many of your points, I look at it from another point of view. Violent media, of which games are just one facet, can influence people who lack the comprehension to understand that this is not real life. This could be because they are young, in which case the parents are at fault, or because they are mentally ill, in which case society (care workers, parents, teachers and anyone who has had close contact and been in a position to suggest psychological care is necessary for this individual) is at fault.

Violent games are *not* at fault - they are being played by people who should not be playing them; therein the fault lies.

All your anecdotal evidence (fighting games/Rocky) tells me is that those kids should not have been playing/watching the media in question. Running around like a maniac after seeing The Mask is strange, though probably not problematic; kids punching and kicking each other because they've seen it in make-believe-land somewhere shows that they weren't ready for that particular brand of make-believe, and it is *not* the fault of the producers that they saw it.
CunningSmile wrote:They never caught the Ripper, he may have been a huge CoD fan :lol:
<Tries desperately hard not to make some comment about regurgitating the same old stuff for that many years>
Chameleon 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 18 Dec 2012, 14:57

Whilst I do believe there is some desensitisation with prolonged playing of videogames, or watching violent films, ultimately, the actions of the individual are essentially bought about by the individual and their upbringing. I don’t think any rational person looking at the circumstances (as they appear at this moment in time) can honestly say that the number one fault at play in this horrendous crime lay at the feet of videogaming, it is possible that it played a part, but the upbringing of the killer, his mother’s beliefs and his own mental state are far more likely to have been factors.

The Hungerford massacre took place in 1987 and is probably the most similar act in UK history, but the year means that gaming could not have taken any part in the factors that led to what was a terrible crime. Killings, mass-killings, massacres and genocide have occurred since the dawn of man, gaming is a relatively new phenomena and does not really play a part in the human homicidal psyche (disturbed or otherwise).

According to the news 88% of American’s own guns, which to put things in perspective, means that there are really very few of these type of acts, as I’m sure that more than a few of those that own guns suffer from some sort of mental health issue. According to Wikipedia, 13.7 million copies of Black Ops have been sold in the USA alone and that figure obviously does not take into account all the other Call of Duty games or other violent games that have been bought in America. So is it really that surprising that someone who lived in America not only owned a gun, but also played a Call of Duty game?

People are looking for someone to blame, but that blame lies squarely with Lanza.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Next