to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

RAGE DLC The Scorchers released a year after RAGE

Your comments on our articles.

Get back in touch with one of 2011's most interesting new IPs

Well here's a thing. Bethesda has released a new add-on for id Software's RAGE, comprising new areas, guns, characters and an Extended Play option which lets you carry on rocking the post-Apocalypse after completing the main storyline. That's the same RAGE that came out in October 2011, yes. Good things come...... read more

RAGE DLC The Scorchers released a year after RAGE

Postby DarthTwitch » 18 Dec 2012, 16:51

This would have had me in fits of sheer delight sometime last year. Sadly, my Disc 1 has since vanished into thin air, so I can only play multiplayer Rage. A year later - does anyone still play Rage? It isn't a bad game in and of itself. I'd be up for some MP Rage, if anyone else is...
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Re: RAGE DLC The Scorchers released a year after RAGE

Postby richwk » 18 Dec 2012, 17:21

I don't have the game any more, but will never forget the sadistic pleasure i took from head-shotting an armoured guard with an explosive crossbow bolt...the running around in panic and "oh shit!" that heralded the realisation that he was about to die always had me in fits. Or is that a bit wrong? :twisted:
richwk 30

Postby kevicus12 » 18 Dec 2012, 19:55

I thoroughly enjoyed Rage, but one thing I didn't like was the way it just ended without any warning. One minute I was fighting a load of bad guys, then I placed something somewhere (give me a break, it was almost a year ago) and POW - cue very short end movie and very puzzled expression on my face.

Extended play, you say? Interesting, but does that only apply to the area you were in, or can you travel back to the areas where you started the game? I wonder...
kevicus12 22

Postby Fallenlords » 19 Dec 2012, 11:46

I have the game but lost my save file, so started a new game. Downloaded the DLC last night and parts are available early on e.g Hagar settlement. It also tells you if you have not unlocked the various locations to continue the story. I forgot how much fun playing with Wingsticks can be, off with their heads. Scorchers DLC is looking pretty good. Only just into it (ran two missions) but already have new Nailgun weapon.

Overall Rage as a game suffers from a case of 'identity crisis'. It doesn't quite know what it is suppose to be overall. But it's still a good game and running through it again is a lot of fun. Especially with the new Scorchers content adding a fresh feel.
Fallenlords 4

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Dec 2012, 12:44

Is the game worth a buy? It's so cheap now but reviews seem quite mixed. It doesn't have any really negative reviews but ranging from great to mediocre. Read over the OXM review but still couldn't decide. Tempted for a tenner new though but I wonder if I better off with all the other games I haven't tried yet, like Hitman, Dishonoured, Spec Ops: The Line etc
ItchyRash 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Dec 2012, 12:58

It's worth it providing you don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's as grand and open as Fallout - the aesthetic really invites the comparison, but it's misleading. Basically, it's a well-produced, beautiful shooter with a slight dusting of non-linearity and some RPG mechanics.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Dec 2012, 13:03

ItchyRash wrote:Is the game worth a buy? It's so cheap now but reviews seem quite mixed. It doesn't have any really negative reviews but ranging from great to mediocre. Read over the OXM review but still couldn't decide. Tempted for a tenner new though but I wonder if I better off with all the other games I haven't tried yet, like Hitman, Dishonoured, Spec Ops: The Line etc

I found Rage a bit naff, possibly because I fell into the trap Ed mentions. It's basically a corridor shooter pretending to be an open worlder. If you go in expecting that I'm sure you'd get a lot more out of it.

Spec Ops is one of my favorite games, although it's a little flaky as a shooter the plot makes up for it and I found the ending almost on a par with Bioshock's "Would you kindly" I'd also really recommend Dishonored.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:03

And most importantly, it can be picked up for a fiver these days!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Fallenlords » 19 Dec 2012, 13:34

ItchyRash wrote:Is the game worth a buy? It's so cheap now but reviews seem quite mixed. It doesn't have any really negative reviews but ranging from great to mediocre. Read over the OXM review but still couldn't decide. Tempted for a tenner new though but I wonder if I better off with all the other games I haven't tried yet, like Hitman, Dishonoured, Spec Ops: The Line etc

Rage is worth buying, it screws itself up with adding vehicles/races and a sort of open world element that doesn't belong. But the actual combat is good and the enemies are decent - in other words the shooter part is worth playing. Things like crafting and that seem to have been bolted on as an afterthought. Overall has a nice end of world 'Mad Max' feel to it.
Fallenlords 4

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Dec 2012, 14:25

I think my post Christmas shopping list is going to be HUGE. Having sunk hours into Fallout games already i'd be kind of happy if this wasn't like that. So If I go in thinking it's an open world RPG then I'll be disappointed. If I go in thinking it's a shooter with some RPG elements then i'll be satisfied. I loved Deus Ex as a shooter with RPG elements so perhaps I'll give Rage a bash. Can't complain as it's so cheap now. Will certainly give Spec Ops, Hitman and co and bash as well at somepoint. If I ever get time. And the world doesn't end
ItchyRash 42

Postby msbhvn » 19 Dec 2012, 22:24

ItchyRash wrote:I think my post Christmas shopping list is going to be HUGE. Having sunk hours into Fallout games already i'd be kind of happy if this wasn't like that. So If I go in thinking it's an open world RPG then I'll be disappointed. If I go in thinking it's a shooter with some RPG elements then i'll be satisfied. I loved Deus Ex as a shooter with RPG elements so perhaps I'll give Rage a bash. Can't complain as it's so cheap now. Will certainly give Spec Ops, Hitman and co and bash as well at somepoint. If I ever get time. And the world doesn't end

At least you haven't bought close to thirty titles (including RAGE) for them to sit on a shelf, unfinished. No one would be that stupid. *shifty eyes* :oops:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby PonderingWalrus » 20 Dec 2012, 10:07

kevicus12 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Rage, but one thing I didn't like was the way it just ended without any warning. One minute I was fighting a load of bad guys, then I placed something somewhere (give me a break, it was almost a year ago) and POW - cue very short end movie and very puzzled expression on my face.

Extended play, you say? Interesting, but does that only apply to the area you were in, or can you travel back to the areas where you started the game? I wonder...

I can imagine you'll be able to travel back to where the first half of the game took place (you could do that at any point before you got locked into the final mission).

I also liked RAGE even if the ending was lacking. I traded it in though but am now actually contemplating buying it back. Only problem is, my hard drive is pretty full and I like to install all my games when I play them. :(
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Dec 2012, 10:29

msbhvn wrote:
ItchyRash wrote:I think my post Christmas shopping list is going to be HUGE. Having sunk hours into Fallout games already i'd be kind of happy if this wasn't like that. So If I go in thinking it's an open world RPG then I'll be disappointed. If I go in thinking it's a shooter with some RPG elements then i'll be satisfied. I loved Deus Ex as a shooter with RPG elements so perhaps I'll give Rage a bash. Can't complain as it's so cheap now. Will certainly give Spec Ops, Hitman and co and bash as well at somepoint. If I ever get time. And the world doesn't end

At least you haven't bought close to thirty titles (including RAGE) for them to sit on a shelf, unfinished. No one would be that stupid. *shifty eyes* :oops:

Geeze louise! Most I've ever had is 8 I think. Got it down to 1 now but reckon I could be sitting on 8 again by the time Christmas is done
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Dec 2012, 10:33

ItchyRash wrote:
msbhvn wrote:At least you haven't bought close to thirty titles (including RAGE) for them to sit on a shelf, unfinished. No one would be that stupid. *shifty eyes* :oops:

Geeze louise! Most I've ever had is 8 I think. Got it down to 1 now but reckon I could be sitting on 8 again by the time Christmas is done

I think you may have some sort of addiction Ms, I wonder if there is a group you can join for that? "Hi, I'm msbhvn and I can't stop buying games I'll never play." "Hi msbhvn."
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby DarthTwitch » 20 Dec 2012, 13:08

OXM ETboy wrote:It's worth it providing you don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's as grand and open as Fallout - the aesthetic really invites the comparison, but it's misleading. Basically, it's a well-produced, beautiful shooter with a slight dusting of non-linearity and some RPG mechanics.

Kind of like the first Borderlands. Kind of. Almost. A bit.
Last edited by DarthTwitch on 20 Dec 2012, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Next