to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

THQ: Call of Duty has "stamped out memories" of what made th

Your comments on our articles.

"It's probably very true to say that there's reaction" against COD

It's important to treat claims that Call of Duty has "peaked" with a measure of suspicion. Everybody loathes the top dog, after all, and Call of Duty isn't so much the top dog as a gargantuan, howling dog-shaped mass in the sky, blocking the sun and dooming the Earth to a second Ice Age. That said, Black Ops 2's recent fortunes do suggest that Activision may have to work harder in future. While impossibly successful, the game has struggled to equal Modern Warfare 3 sales in the UK, and according to NPD figures crunched by Gamasutra, it won't rollover Black Ops 1's launch month sales in the US.... read more

THQ: Call of Duty has "stamped out memories" of what made th

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 13:59

That's nice, THQ. However, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm (to name but a few innovative FPS's) would all like a word...
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Re: THQ: Call of Duty has "stamped out memories" of what mad

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Dec 2012, 14:32

I'm getting more and more excited for Metro. 2033 was so good and this is looking better. I'm glad that we might be seeing less of these samey modern war FPS. FPS are still my favourite genre and there have been a long line of fantastic, innovating games this generation. From Metro, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Singularity and the above mentioned Bulletstorm and probably many more that I've forgotten. If you put you're mind to it there's a lot you can do in a FPS and can tell a fantastic story. Something that was sadly lacking in Battlefield 3 for instance
ItchyRash 42

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 16:11

Bulletstorm was f**king ace. I can't believe they did that to People Can Fly. Such a cliffhanger ending, too. :(
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Dec 2012, 17:30

DarthTwitch wrote:Bulletstorm was f**king ace. I can't believe they did that to People Can Fly. Such a cliffhanger ending, too. :(

As enjoyable as it was I'm not sure I'd be bothered about a sequel. Certainly interested in what else People Can Fly could create though. I just wouldn't want them rehashing the same ideas with Bulletstorm. The only thing it really lacked was a co-op mode.

Should add Darth. Mentioned it on the other thread about gun controls. Think I could and should have handled that a tad more constructively. Could understand where you were going with you point even if I disagreed but didn't need to be so catty with my response.

And yeah. I ramble a lot I think so I'm not sure anyone really knows what i'm trying to say. Not least myself.
ItchyRash 42

Postby Raluph » 19 Dec 2012, 17:57

It does seem that, because cod is so popular with casual and 'hardcore' gamers alike, that some of its ideas are copied a lot. Still, we get great ideas from the likes of crysis, metro, rage, fallout and so on. I feel that the genre will soon fall out of the limelight, and be replaced by adventure RPGs. Games such as skyrim, dragons dogma and to some extent kingdoms of amular have shown us how good their genre can be. With the added performance from next generation consoles, I feel that the genre will have the potential to be even better
Raluph 11

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 19:00

ItchyRash wrote:
DarthTwitch wrote:Bulletstorm was f**king ace. I can't believe they did that to People Can Fly. Such a cliffhanger ending, too. :(

Should add Darth. Mentioned it on the other thread about gun controls. Think I could and should have handled that a tad more constructively. Could understand where you were going with you point even if I disagreed but didn't need to be so catty with my response.

And yeah. I ramble a lot I think so I'm not sure anyone really knows what i'm trying to say. Not least myself.

Absolutely no harm done whatsoever, mate, don't worry about it. I'm sure I can be pretty snippy too, when I'm in the middle of such a hot debate. And it IS a heated subject right now. There is no such thing as a bad opinion, really - just a bad way of expressing it. More often than not, I express myself like a total idiot, so no worries :)

DarthTwitch 14

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 19:02

Raluph wrote:It does seem that, because cod is so popular with casual and 'hardcore' gamers alike, that some of its ideas are copied a lot. Still, we get great ideas from the likes of crysis, metro, rage

Totally forgot about Rage - Rage is bloody good fun. I can't find my disc 1, for some reason, so I'm restricted to multiplayer, but I love Rage :D

DarthTwitch 14

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Dec 2012, 10:50

DarthTwitch wrote:
ItchyRash wrote:Should add Darth. Mentioned it on the other thread about gun controls. Think I could and should have handled that a tad more constructively. Could understand where you were going with you point even if I disagreed but didn't need to be so catty with my response.

Absolutely no harm done whatsoever, mate, don't worry about it. I'm sure I can be pretty snippy too, when I'm in the middle of such a hot debate. And it IS a heated subject right now. There is no such thing as a bad opinion, really - just a bad way of expressing it. More often than not, I express myself like a total idiot, so no worries :)

It's one of the things I always like about this forum. Since we're a small community most arguements are disagreements between friends rather than flamewars between strangers. But respect to you both for shaking hands.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Dec 2012, 14:13

CunningSmile wrote:It's one of the things I always like about this forum. Since we're a small community most arguements are disagreements between friends rather than flamewars between strangers. But respect to you both for shaking hands.

We're all big boys (and perhaps girls) here. Well, maybe not. Certainly is an every growing and friendly bunch of forums users here though
ItchyRash 42

Postby kevicus12 » 20 Dec 2012, 20:53

The only (post-WW2) COD I've played was Modern Warfare 2. It was all run down that corridor and activate a set-piece, then run down that street and activate the next set-piece, and since I have no interest in having my arse handed to me by some arrogant kid in multiplayer I've never went back to it.

COD is all about multiplayer, isn't it? Other, envious, developers see that all people care about is COD's multiplayer and it still makes stupid money. Then they start thinking "why should we bother with a compelling single-player campaign, if COD doesn't and yet it still dominates the charts?"

Dishonoured was a brave release, and one that paid off. Far Cry 3 less so because it's on the back of some decent selling series titles (I loved Far Cry 2, regardless of what a lot of people thought of it), but any developer who puts single-player story ahead of multiplayer maps has to be applauded these days.

Btw - I hope Raluph is right about Adventure RPG's being the next big thing: give me the FPS dynamics of Far Cry mixed with the complexities of Fallout and I'd be one happy bunny. I can but dream...
kevicus12 22

Postby Metalrodent » 22 Dec 2012, 00:04

CoD 4 was great, and I still love it - however it is a shame it spawned the whole MMS genre leading to such stagnation of the mainstream FPS games
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67