to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Human Head implores Prey 2 fans to pressure Bethesda for new

Your comments on our articles.

"The ball's in Bethesda's court. I'd love to wrap it up and ship it out to you."

All is most definitely not well with Prey 2, the open world sequel to one of 2006's quirkier first-person shooters. The game was rumoured to be cancelled this March, and anonymous sources claim that Bethesda and developer Human Head have had a fairly thermonuclear falling-out. In April, the publisher announced that Prey 2 would miss its 2012 launch due to a failure to meet "quality standards". Since then, Human Head designer Nathan Cheever has taken to Twitter and Facebook to protest about the game's non-appearance.... read more

Human Head implores Prey 2 fans to pressure Bethesda for new

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 18:05

Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Re: Human Head implores Prey 2 fans to pressure Bethesda for

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Dec 2012, 18:10

I've already invited Nathan to comment on or take issue with the story on Twitter. We'll see what he says...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 18:29

That's twice in one month I've been uncredited by a magazine for pointing out errors. I'm starting to feel taken advantage of!

Uh, I'm totally kidding, in case anyone thinks I'm being serious...
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Dec 2012, 18:38

Heh, I saw your Tweet. You did indeed clue me in on that comments response first, but I wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth. Not that Nathan's a horse. :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby DarthTwitch » 19 Dec 2012, 18:45

Neigh, he's not.

I apologise for that, I have a horrific cold. My sense of humour is LAME today.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby msbhvn » 19 Dec 2012, 20:00

It's stories like these that make me wonder whether developers shouldn't band together and throw off the publishers. How can they be worse off than when the likes of EA and Activision cancel near-finished games and close down studios? If they need money, Kickstarter is there and then they can channel profits into new games so they don't need to rely on the crowd funding so much.

That said, I don't want to believe that Bethesda would treat a developer so badly. Dishonored and Prey 2 might be similar, but they could have fed off each other and both games' sales could have been boosted.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Grummy » 20 Dec 2012, 10:32

The problem with Bethesda is that whenever we think about them, we think about Todd Howard and how we don't want to believe he and his team would ever do such a thing, but in truth, the publishing side is nothing at all to do with them, such is the nature of the business that 2 sides of one company can have very different ethical stand points.

Also, DON'T ask Pete Hines anything, he's like to call you stupid, impatient and ungrateful then tell you to piss off. He's honestly the worst PR guy in the world. How he gets away with some of his tweets is beyond me.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby DarthTwitch » 20 Dec 2012, 13:23

You noticed that too, Grummy? Heh. Hines - what a scamp.

DarthTwitch 14

Postby n8cheever » 20 Dec 2012, 22:47

Since the article I responded to is no longer posted, I thought I'd repost it here and clear up some misconceptions before the internet warps this into some defamatory gossip. OXM's exposure is getting more attention in other countries (and being translated in odd ways).

First off - I don’t represent Human Head or any other company in my comments, I’m simply a fan of the game who happens to work there. It’s fun to play! And I’d like to share the experience with others.

The title to the article shouldn’t suggest Human Head is asking Bethesda for an update. Other fans started their own petition of sorts and asked me to post a link to it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151219959843096

There’s nothing I’m legally hiding about the status of the project. It’s where it’s been at for the past year. Bethesda owns the rights to it and I don’t have anything new to add to it. (How unexciting is that?)

I do however, feel bad for the fans (you) that keep asking for new information that go unanswered. There's still this amazing, strong passion for the game a year later.

I also wasn’t suggesting Prey 2 was cancelled because of Dishonored’s release date. Re-read my tweet and you’ll see I was wondering if it *influenced* the delay. Of course, I have no idea since I’m not Bethesda. (I’m also real happy for Arkane’s success with Dishonored.)

The “It’d be crazy” tweet was a light-hearted nod at how fun the game is. I didn’t say “They” (Bethesda) only “It” (the opportunity). I followed up with an equally light “Nothing beats Bountyhunting the denizens of Exodus!”. It wasn’t intended to be passive-aggressive poke at Bethesda.

I also made a comment about wanting to “wrap it it up and ship it out”. That’s not me saying the game’s complete. It’s only me showing an interest in completing it.

Again, don’t misinterpret my chatter as official commentary. I’ll most likely drop the Prey 2 topics from my tweets since they seem to breed more suggestive controversy than positive, constructive interest.

Cheers,
- Nathan
n8cheever 4

Postby kevicus12 » 22 Dec 2012, 00:10

Fancy going into politics, Nate? :wink:
kevicus12 22

Postby n8cheever » 22 Dec 2012, 00:52

kevicus12 wrote:Fancy going into politics, Nate? :wink:

Naw, I just wanted to put a context behind my chatter. It's apparently quite subjective to each reader. :)
n8cheever 4