to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ubisoft looking to buy THQ, wants rights to Saints Row, Home

Your comments on our articles.

Insiders suggest French publisher is hungry for Christmas bargain

Ubisoft may be among potential buyers for bankruptcy-hit THQ, according to sources close to MCV. Word is that the Assassin's Creed publisher is after a bargain, however, and accordingly may wait for investment group Clearlake to sell off certain of THQ's assets before closing the deal.... read more

Ubisoft looking to buy THQ, wants rights to Saints Row, Home

Postby DarthTwitch » 21 Dec 2012, 12:58

Not sure how I feel about this, to be honest.
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Re: Ubisoft looking to buy THQ, wants rights to Saints Row,

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Dec 2012, 13:05

Interesting times, innit. I wonder what Ubisoft Montreal could make of Darksiders.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 21 Dec 2012, 13:18

This year Ubisoft have fast become my number 1 developer/publisher even over Bethesda who have been my perennial favourites for the last 10 years, so I am all for seeing them pick up the pieces so we can continue to see these games being made.

I'm pretty sure that THQ don't have the WWE licence anymore, I thought it had gone to EA?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Raluph » 21 Dec 2012, 13:27

As long as SOMEONE buys THQ, I won't be too fussed. They own some good franchises and have some talented studios.
Raluph 11

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Dec 2012, 13:30

Indeed, Grummy - apologies, I didn't spot that.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby schwepterbrowser » 21 Dec 2012, 13:37

Can anyone link me to something that states EA have the WWE liscence now? I hadn't heard anything about it when this came up on the forum a little while ago and upon searching I found nothing about it. I've also recently been bitching about how broken the online in WWE '13 is on the official forums and there's a wishlist thread for WWE '14...
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 21 Dec 2012, 13:40

I'd happily see Ubisoft take control of THQ as for me a title by Ubisoft is usually a stamp of high quality. Just curious though, what does THQ's application for bankruptcy mean for those of us that have bought the Darksiders 2 season pass, as thus far, we've only had one of the DLC releases that it encompasses?
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 21 Dec 2012, 13:45

Just a quick question OXM ETboy: have you been boosting your level? I ask as I notice that you have attained level 63 with 1429 posts, and yet Grummy is languishing way behind on level 50 with 4636 posts!

So, have you been cheating…? :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Dec 2012, 15:38

Our level system is a thing of mystery. I think I'm higher rank than I should be because it takes into account all the articles I write.

Also, according to THQ you've got nothing to worry about on the Darksiders 2 DLC front - they claim no current game projects have been affected. How reassuring you find that is up to you...

@schwepter

I'm being a right old butterfingers today. EA has nabbed the UFC license from THQ, not WWE. Edited!

http://www.oxm.co.uk/45667/features/qua ... t-and-ufc/
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 21 Dec 2012, 15:46

I don't know about this one, seems like Ubisoft is acting as the vulture in this story. Hopefully EA and Activision don't come lookking for a "bargain buy".

I wonder if Ubisoft get it what happens to the likes of Metro and Darksiders, I can't help but think needless multiplayer/co-op additions might be on the way.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby STE MO » 21 Dec 2012, 15:51

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Just a quick question OXM ETboy: have you been boosting your level? I ask as I notice that you have attained level 63 with 1429 posts, and yet Grummy is languishing way behind on level 50 with 4636 posts!

So, have you been cheating…? :lol:

The reason might be that Grummy has been posting on these forums for years, thus accumulating the 4000 odd posts. The levels only just came in in the last couple of years so the majority of his posts are Pre levels. Ed hasn't been around as long and posts a lot being as the website, I think, is his baby now and a bloody good he does. Confused I am :lol:
So Grummys posts are Pre levels, Ed's posts are post levelling or just before.
STE MO 50

Postby STE MO » 21 Dec 2012, 16:00

Let's face it if THQ had of done a Stirling job with the IP's that they have, then they wouldn't have gone bankrupt! They make some really good games but you can't help thinking that if they had made the likes of Homefront better they wouldn't be in this pickle. As for Ubi getting some IP's I think that they'll do a good job with most of them.
STE MO 50

Postby GallifreyDog » 21 Dec 2012, 19:12

I hope they do, I love Ubisoft. Also they could revive Red Faction, since the series was cancelled last year.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby Grummy » 21 Dec 2012, 23:35

STE MO wrote:Let's face it if THQ had of done a Stirling job with the IP's that they have, then they wouldn't have gone bankrupt! They make some really good games but you can't help thinking that if they had made the likes of Homefront better they wouldn't be in this pickle. As for Ubi getting some IP's I think that they'll do a good job with most of them.

That really isn't the reason at all. They HAVE done a stirling job with many of the IP's, CoH is excellent, DoW was phenomenal, DoW 2, whilst not amazing, still sold well enough to have 2 expansions and I believe Space Marine sold decent enough numbers, Saints Row goes from strength to strength, the WWE games consistently sell well, Darksiders is a great franchise and Homefront, whilst not the CoD beater they intended, still did decent enough numbers to warrant a sequel and THQ to list it as a top IP for their future success. All things considered, they haven't done badly at all.

Their real problem has been outright shitty investments. Buying up a lot of crappy licences that nobody cares about, spending so much money on that Udraw tablet that everybody knew was a failure waiting to happen, things like that.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 22 Dec 2012, 10:54

GallifreyDog wrote:I hope they do, I love Ubisoft. Also they could revive Red Faction, since the series was cancelled last year.

I would like to see this happen. Guerilla was good fun if flawed here and there but Armageddon was just a flaw with a sprinkling of good ideas here and there.

I think the prospect of a meatier publisher could prove to be very sensible going into the next gen with dev costs set to soar, we want to see top quality titles, and if that means there are less games in total I don't think many of us would complain too much. Quality not quantity and all that.

Fingers crossed the end result is good for gamers and doesn't result in too many job losses.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Next