to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Development Hell: the best Xbox 360 games you almost didn't

Your comments on our articles.

Projects that changed dramatically on the road to release

Speak to any developer for long enough and they'll all end up using the same stock phrase: making games is really hard. And they're right, of course. Hundreds of staff working on dozens of interconnecting systems while publishers yell deadlines, point at budget spreadsheets and say things like 'we love it, but can we have more flying tanks?'. It's no wonder that, from time to time, the whole thing spins wildly out of control and a game emerges from development limbo looking very different from the one that fell in.... read more

Development Hell: the best Xbox 360 games you almost didn't

Postby fracturedrich » 30 Dec 2012, 15:14

the thought of never playing bioshock doesnt even bare thinking about.
fracturedrich 45

Re: Development Hell: the best Xbox 360 games you almost did

Postby Bezza89 » 30 Dec 2012, 18:38

Haha imagine them going 'Hey, you're doing a new Jason Bourne film? Put 50 Cent in it as himself.'

That's quite hilarious how the game of 50 cent came about, hats off for sourcing that.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Worthies » 30 Dec 2012, 19:34

I must admit, I was a little disappointed by Alan Wake. But that might be largely down to the fact that initially we were promised an open world adventure, reinforced by Amazon stating that you could " freely roam the town of Bright Falls." when I went to preorder.
Heck, Amazon still hasn't corrected this.
Worthies 28

Postby Martfish » 31 Dec 2012, 08:05

Blood on the Sand was a success?!?!
Martfish 18

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 31 Dec 2012, 10:29

Blood on the Sand is awesome! It even has a swear button. f**kin hilarious game, and damn fun to play.

Definitely one of my favourite B-grade games on the Xbox 360. Second only to Earth Defense Force.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby PaladinRonin » 31 Dec 2012, 12:55

I found it very interesting to read about the designs of Splinter Cell; Conviction. While I understand that they wanted to keep Fisher's morals, I think it would have been fun to have a crowd blending mechanic in there, simular to the Assassin's Creed series. Having a few levels were you have to escape or move around in a public area using the crowd instead of the shadows sounds like fun. An exsample of this could have worked during the first level in Malta if the mercs had not stormed the street, or when Fisher was looking for the men tracking him at the fairground around the monument.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 31

Postby Raluph » 31 Dec 2012, 14:02

They took the native halo creatures out to make the arrival of the flood more of a surprise, so it would have a bigger impact on the player.
Raluph 11

Postby lazercut123 » 31 Dec 2012, 20:06

Oh god, I was just reminded of that film ocean's 11 (or 12 or 13, I'm not sure) where a famous woman (in real life (don't know which)) plays a non-famous person who pretends to be the person she is in real life. AHH!! It's so confusing :x
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby lawsond28 » 03 Jan 2013, 14:03

lazercut123 wrote:Oh god, I was just reminded of that film ocean's 11 (or 12 or 13, I'm not sure) where a famous woman (in real life (don't know which)) plays a non-famous person who pretends to be the person she is in real life. AHH!! It's so confusing :x

That was in Oceans 12. Julia Roberts plays a character called Tess who pretends to be Julia Roberts. It's one of the most hated and idiotic ideas ever put to celluloid and made the entire trilogy go from being quite cool (if rat pack remakes are your thing) to being a bit of a laughing stock.
Never trust a dog to watch your food.
lawsond28 32

Postby CunningSmile » 03 Jan 2013, 14:37

lawsond28 wrote:
lazercut123 wrote:Oh god, I was just reminded of that film ocean's 11 (or 12 or 13, I'm not sure) where a famous woman (in real life (don't know which)) plays a non-famous person who pretends to be the person she is in real life. AHH!! It's so confusing :x

That was in Oceans 12. Julia Roberts plays a character called Tess who pretends to be Julia Roberts. It's one of the most hated and idiotic ideas ever put to celluloid and made the entire trilogy go from being quite cool (if rat pack remakes are your thing) to being a bit of a laughing stock.

But it did give us the pleasure of seeing Bruce Willis going from being one of the coolest men in films to a guy having an conversation about SpongeBob Square Pants :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator