to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

A tale of two Tomb Raiders: what I like and don't like

Your comments on our articles.

Ed splits his brain in two over Crystal's reboot

Come to think of it, the evolution of my understanding of Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot is exactly like the average Tomb Raider trailer - that's to say, moments of giddy enthusiasm punctuated by squeals of agony. When they announced it in December 2010, I was all "Yay! Gritty, grown-up themes!" Then, "Oof! Hand-holdy navigation and QTEs!" Then, "Whee! Realistically proportioned, empowered heroine!" Then, "Aiee! 'Attempted rape' debacle!".... read more

A tale of two Tomb Raiders: what I like and don't like

Postby PCG The_B » 02 Jan 2013, 19:25

I'm going to be interested to read more details from the US OXM about the multiplayer. I'm cautiously skeptical about it, as Tomb Raider was the last series I ever expected to get multiplayer, but the news it's coming from the Deus Ex HR guys makes me feel slightly more optimistic and less as if they'll be sacrificing something from the single player for it.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 65

Re: A tale of two Tomb Raiders: what I like and don't like

Postby CunningSmile » 03 Jan 2013, 09:25

Good to see your multiple personality complex is responding well to treatment Ed, that article reads like it was written by Gollum with a thesaurus :lol:

Joking aside I agree with almost every point you make. I can't remember the last time I saw a game who's marketing was sending such mixed messages. I know they're walking a tight rope of trying to reboot a franchise who's glory days are well in the past whilst not annoying the old guard but I think there's a lot to be said for DmC's "screw you guys" approach to rebooting.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: A tale of two Tomb Raiders: what I like and don't like

Postby Hussein_yassin12 » 03 Jan 2013, 11:41

Can't wait for the game to come out :D
Hussein_yassin12 12