to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Tomb Raider's multiplayer detailed - TDM, objective capture,

Your comments on our articles.

Crystal goes all Gears of Lara?

First details of Tomb Raider's multiplayer mode have arrived, care of our friends at OXM US and their bulletpoint-loving readers. Let's play a little game of our own, shall we? It's called: work out what any of the below has in common with Tomb Raider.... read more

Tomb Raider's multiplayer detailed - TDM, objective capture,

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 03 Jan 2013, 15:42

Firstly, (and I say this every time!) not every game needs a multiplayer mode. More often than not, games that have the most successful multiplayer modes are the ones that people are happy to buy and then ignore the single player modes available, i.e. Gears, CoD, Battlefield and Halo - there are many, many people who play these games endlessly without every straying into the campaign.

Secondly, when a game is reviewed, the whole package is taken into account, so if the developers put in an unoriginal or sub-par multiplayer mode, then it will affect the reviews and so potentially affect sales, and for a game such as Tomb Raider, where it is all about the story, this could be particularly problematic.

Finally, I’m afraid we’re pretty much at the point where there are very few games that can actually compete in the multiplayer world with the big 4. It is also the case that any game attempting a multiplayer mode is compared to that big 4, each of which has had years to hone the quality, which in turn means that they are effectively setting themselves up to fail.

The multiplayer mode in Tomb Raider will have a small spike in play upon release as people have a look and chase the inevitable achievements (which will have to be included in order to entice people to play the mode for any length of time), but then it will die a death just as in every other game that has attempted (and failed) to compete in what is a very closed market.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Tomb Raider's multiplayer detailed - TDM, objective capt

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Jan 2013, 16:31

I can't make my mind up about Tomb Raider. Can you?

Yes, it will be quite terrible.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 03 Jan 2013, 17:08

I hope it turns out OK but the multiplayer doesn't interest me in the slightest.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby PonderingWalrus » 03 Jan 2013, 21:52

Tomb Raider multiplayer? This is going to be amazing!!!

BAZINGA!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Jan 2013, 11:18

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Firstly, (and I say this every time!) not every game needs a multiplayer mode. More often than not, games that have the most successful multiplayer modes are the ones that people are happy to buy and then ignore the single player modes available, i.e. Gears, CoD, Battlefield and Halo - there are many, many people who play these games endlessly without every straying into the campaign.

Secondly, when a game is reviewed, the whole package is taken into account, so if the developers put in an unoriginal or sub-par multiplayer mode, then it will affect the reviews and so potentially affect sales, and for a game such as Tomb Raider, where it is all about the story, this could be particularly problematic.

Finally, I’m afraid we’re pretty much at the point where there are very few games that can actually compete in the multiplayer world with the big 4. It is also the case that any game attempting a multiplayer mode is compared to that big 4, each of which has had years to hone the quality, which in turn means that they are effectively setting themselves up to fail.

The multiplayer mode in Tomb Raider will have a small spike in play upon release as people have a look and chase the inevitable achievements (which will have to be included in order to entice people to play the mode for any length of time), but then it will die a death just as in every other game that has attempted (and failed) to compete in what is a very closed market.

My favorite description of MP added because of the Marketing department is from the director of Spec Ops. He described it as a cancerous growth threatening the life of his game :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 04 Jan 2013, 11:49

Really not fussed by Tomb Raider even since the 2011 reveal looked fairly pretty but was littered with overly dramatic sound affects whenever Lara fell or was hurt. I haven't played the alternatives, but surely the likes of Just Cause, Assassin's Creed and even Bioshock Infinite have this genre all sewn up for now. I seriously doubt this is a game changer.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58