to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be outsp

Your comments on our articles.

"This is a numbers game, people."

Airtight Games designer Kim Swift has issued an impassioned call for female games developers to stand up and publicise their work, to encourage aspiring young women to enter an infamously male-dominated industry.... read more

Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be outsp

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Jan 2013, 22:15

You don't need numbers, you just need someone, just one person charismatic enough to inspire us to think about games, to get us excited about them, and better still to instill a sense of nostalgia in the present. That to me is reading/listening to Ken Levine, he's awesome beans, same too to Cliff Blezinski, he was really passionate and got me incredibly upbeat about my favourite hobby. If Kim Swift is a mind behind portal, she should put herself out there and be passionate about it more publicly (in gaming I suppose), and make it seem like it's great to do, personally I think that will inspire more females to get into the industry rather than trying to get current ones to say 'oh yes I'm here, you can be too'. How will that work?

Hmm I rather skimmed this article... I've lost my bearings... spokesperson... beacon of light representing femininity of industry. It's gone. If someone can make semblance of my ramblings, good luck to you sir.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Jan 2013, 11:14

Bezza89 wrote:You don't need numbers, you just need someone, just one person charismatic enough to inspire us to think about games, to get us excited about them, and better still to instill a sense of nostalgia in the present. That to me is reading/listening to Ken Levine, he's awesome beans, same too to Cliff Blezinski, he was really passionate and got me incredibly upbeat about my favourite hobby. If Kim Swift is a mind behind portal, she should put herself out there and be passionate about it more publicly (in gaming I suppose), and make it seem like it's great to do, personally I think that will inspire more females to get into the industry rather than trying to get current ones to say 'oh yes I'm here, you can be too'. How will that work?

Hmm I rather skimmed this article... I've lost my bearings... spokesperson... beacon of light representing femininity of industry. It's gone. If someone can make semblance of my ramblings, good luck to you sir.


At the risk of sounding shallow (but then media always is) Kim Swift has one of the same advantages as Cliff B does as a spokesperson; she's easy on the eye to members of the opposite sex. Makes it much easier to get a booking on those late night talk shows the Yanks love so much.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Windowlicker79 » 06 Jan 2013, 12:27

Is this something that even really needs to be said nowadays? Young children are now being taught I.T from a very early age. Kids starting school now are going to have far more opportunities to get involved with games programming and production than any previous generations. I'd hope that as a result of this the gender divide that seems to currently exist will break down as both boys and girls will take an equal interest in computer programming just as they now take a relatively equal interest in other school subjects.
Image
ಠ_ಠ
User avatar
Windowlicker79 54
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 23 May 2009, 16:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Windowlicker79 » 06 Jan 2013, 12:31

CunningSmile wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:You don't need numbers, you just need someone, just one person charismatic enough to inspire us to think about games, to get us excited about them, and better still to instill a sense of nostalgia in the present. That to me is reading/listening to Ken Levine, he's awesome beans, same too to Cliff Blezinski, he was really passionate and got me incredibly upbeat about my favourite hobby. If Kim Swift is a mind behind portal, she should put herself out there and be passionate about it more publicly (in gaming I suppose), and make it seem like it's great to do, personally I think that will inspire more females to get into the industry rather than trying to get current ones to say 'oh yes I'm here, you can be too'. How will that work?

Hmm I rather skimmed this article... I've lost my bearings... spokesperson... beacon of light representing femininity of industry. It's gone. If someone can make semblance of my ramblings, good luck to you sir.


At the risk of sounding shallow (but then media always is) Kim Swift has one of the same advantages as Cliff B does as a spokesperson; she's easy on the eye to members of the opposite sex. Makes it much easier to get a booking on those late night talk shows the Yanks love so much.

Really? By "easy on the eye" you don't mean she's exceptionally attractive do you? I can't see it myself.
Image
Image
ಠ_ಠ
User avatar
Windowlicker79 54
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 23 May 2009, 16:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Bezza89 » 06 Jan 2013, 18:45

She helped make portal, and that maes her stand above 98% of the rest of the industry in my book. I couldn't give a ship what she looked like.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Jan 2013, 11:37

Windowlicker79 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:At the risk of sounding shallow (but then media always is) Kim Swift has one of the same advantages as Cliff B does as a spokesperson; she's easy on the eye to members of the opposite sex. Makes it much easier to get a booking on those late night talk shows the Yanks love so much.

Really? By "easy on the eye" you don't mean she's exceptionally attractive do you? I can't see it myself.


Not a particularly flattering photo. I've seen several in various mags which she looks really cute. Maybe it's good lighting?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Jan 2013, 12:19

The point remains that she is able to go on american television in front of those vultures, I think that's the point.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Jan 2013, 13:26

CunningSmile wrote:At the risk of sounding shallow (but then media always is) Kim Swift has one of the same advantages as Cliff B does as a spokesperson; she's easy on the eye to members of the opposite sex. Makes it much easier to get a booking on those late night talk shows the Yanks love so much.

Really? By "easy on the eye" you don't mean she's exceptionally attractive do you? I can't see it myself.

Not a particularly flattering photo. I've seen several in various mags which she looks really cute. Maybe it's good lighting?


Make sure your girlfriend doesn't find those mags, you naughty naughty person.

Windowlicker is right anyhow, things are changing. Slowly probably but still, how many straight men work in dress design, there will always be differences in gender quantities interested in a particular topic. And yes it is shallow :P but it's the way the world works, you'd be as likely to see the elephant woman on a chat show program as you would to see me in britains next top male model. Which is a shame because I'm a sexy bitch.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Jan 2013, 15:09

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:At the risk of sounding shallow (but then media always is) Kim Swift has one of the same advantages as Cliff B does as a spokesperson; she's easy on the eye to members of the opposite sex. Makes it much easier to get a booking on those late night talk shows the Yanks love so much.

Really? By "easy on the eye" you don't mean she's exceptionally attractive do you? I can't see it myself.

Not a particularly flattering photo. I've seen several in various mags which she looks really cute. Maybe it's good lighting?


Make sure your girlfriend doesn't find those mags, you naughty naughty person.

Windowlicker is right anyhow, things are changing. Slowly probably but still, how many straight men work in dress design, there will always be differences in gender quantities interested in a particular topic. And yes it is shallow :P but it's the way the world works, you'd be as likely to see the elephant woman on a chat show program as you would to see me in britains next top male model. Which is a shame because I'm a sexy bitch.


I've now got the image of you in a bikini stuck in my head, thanks alot :cry:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Jan 2013, 15:12

I'm sweet eye candy, there's no denying it.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby golliwoza » 07 Jan 2013, 15:14

CunningSmile wrote:
I've now got the image of you in a bikini stuck in my head, thanks alot :cry:


You have an image in your head of a Cat in a bikini? :lol:
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
User avatar
golliwoza 56
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: 21 Mar 2010, 11:03
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Jan 2013, 15:37

golliwoza wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:
I've now got the image of you in a bikini stuck in my head, thanks alot :cry:


You have an image in your head of a Cat in a bikini? :lol:


Yeah, the top has about eight cups but the image is slightly ruined by the ginger fur.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Jan 2013, 15:44

CunningSmile wrote:
Yeah, the top has about eight cups but the image is slightly ruined by the ginger fur.


I keep my bush nicely trimmed down. Actually it's more of a hedge, but what's a cat to do.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Plamsa wing » 07 Jan 2013, 19:59

Just a thought, but what if they don't want to be visible and what not?

Maybe they don't want the attention(?), that might come with it. Like it or not, but while I'm sure there alot of female gamers/developers out there, the gaming industry is still looked upon as a male based place to many or so it seems.

golliwoza wrote:You have an image in your head of a Cat in a bikini? :lol:


Be careful of your choice of words before googling that. :|
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
User avatar
Plamsa wing 54
 
Posts: 2853
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 13:59

Re: Portal creator calls on female devs to "be visible, be o

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Jan 2013, 20:32

Plamsa wing wrote:Just a thought, but what if they don't want to be visible and what not?

Maybe they don't want the attention(?), that might come with it. Like it or not, but while I'm sure there alot of female gamers/developers out there, the gaming industry is still looked upon as a male based place to many or so it seems.



The article is about trying to encourage females into the mainly male industry, as you say 'like it or not' but the only way to bring bacon into the mill is by being percieved as a God (anyone who understands my metaphors, you're a more learned man than me). I guess what I mean is, your not going to go into dress design (as a man) if you see that it is 99% women, you will only go in if you're really passionate about it, but if you saw that the best dresses were made by men then maybe more would make dresses, thanks fish. Same with games really, and if the person who is making God dresses/games appears on tele and is passionate, charismatic and pretty damn awesome - you will accrue tenfold people trying to get into that industry.

Look at CSI, as a forensic scientist myself I was astounded how many people actually were doing a degree on my course as most of them had just seen CSI and thought 'oh cool'. Of course, you can argue semantics about how useful people who aren't educated in the area would be but the fact remains applications went up x1000 or something so I'm told after CSI came out, and it's up to the companies to then accept the best people.

Take all this and put it in your gaming oven and you get a cake made with Jesus bacon and an influx of females going into videogame design, thus perhaps increasing the diversity of not only the workforce but the game itself, no more big boobed, dim women and more Morrigans (ok shut up I know what you're going to say), the Bosses (mgs, very strong female char), and other less one dimensional women in games. As well as maybe less dim witted army men stories.

In short, beacon needed (see, my bacon thing? Oh nevermind).

Thanks for reading Bezzas guide to confusing yourself and sexism. Stay tuned for Religion in videogames and the effect on bovines.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]