to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Black and White for Kinect

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

Black and White for Kinect

Postby PonderingWalrus » 04 Jan 2013, 18:47

Didn't put this in the gaming discussion as the game doesn't actually exist but...

Black and White for Kinect? Would you like to see it happen? Yay or nay?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: Black and White for Kinect

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Jan 2013, 10:48

I think Black and White is tied up in some sort of legal battle over rights, but I agree that the God genre is the ideal (and weirdly overlooked) game for motion control. I'm still hoping for Viva Pinata, since it's one of my all time faves and Rare are already making nothing but Kinect games.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Jan 2013, 11:54

Isn't he doing Godus now it reached its kickstarter - might appear on arcade.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Jan 2013, 13:54

God games, rts, tbs all completely overlooked genres for kinect/move/wii it would seem. Now the Wii-U would seem perfect for this as well but I doubt it will be used. Such a shame. I never got black and white to work back when it came out so my interest died then.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby PonderingWalrus » 09 Jan 2013, 22:02

I think it's sad that Kinect has mostly just devolved into a casual platform made up of trivial mini-game type releases. If they released a good god game (doesn't even have to be Black and White) I would actually be tempted to buy Kinect.

Do you guys think they will ever realise Kinect's potential?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Bezza89 » 09 Jan 2013, 22:31

It has always been a casual platform, that was many peoples criticism of it; there were no killer apps for it. No 'hardcore' games either, it was left to developers who were too wary to make anything for fear of not reaching an audience because none of the market that would like the game had a kinect because it was all casual. I honestly don't see how the implementation in hardcore games even does anything either, I think they're all just voice commands, and these could be done with a headset like in EndWar and all rainbow six games. It's a bit of a con and a shame at the same time as the tech is great (conceptually at least, I don't own it).

A god game sounds like the perfect fit, but more than that I'd say most strategy games or turn based games would work wonders, the latency problems or lag whatever aren't present due to either natural pauses in gameplay or slow pace negates the difference. For example, I think XCOM would have been the perfect game to use kinect. You could manage the base minority report style, and move troops through either saying grid co-ordinates (which would have been put in) or moving them with a wave. What a waste of an opportunity. They should also try some other PC type games, like total war, managing the map screen, then waving troops around again - it would be hard to implement but the point of kinect is you are the controller, so you only need to gesture or move your hand to a designated prompt to do a button input, the small amount of buttons on a controller problem gone and move a camera with more accuracy meaning PC games are playable?

Not realised the potential at all mr walrus. I've suggested two imo simple, brilliant ideas that I'd buy a kinect for, and I've got no idea about making games.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Jan 2013, 09:57

I haven't got one but the problem I have with it is it seems like great tech. It should almost never be used on it's own, the voice recognition and say bits of games (yes I'm thinking of minority report style things) are fine. But as Bezza says slower paced games like Shogun. I'm playing Civilization on the pc and can't see why that can't be done, or a championship manager style game or something.

Feels like they only wanted it to try for the wii/casual market.

It's a crying shame it's been under utilised. I'm going to cry now.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jan 2013, 10:19

I've had one and traded it in. The idea was great, but the cost cutting (cheaper lenses, no on board processors etc) to get it to a marketable price meant it was never going to live up to the promises made.

Cliff B also made the very good point that until everyone has a peripheral why would you make a big budget game for it? Only a % of the market will buy your game anyway so why would you limit that number further? If Kinect 2.0 comes as standard with the Gertrude we may start to see some "killer apps" but I can't see it happening for the current version.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 10 Jan 2013, 11:30

Isn't that argument void though cunning? Kinect was the fastest selling piece of hardware ever or something, there's 20 million of them sold (random figure, but it's around that high). If you don't see a market with 20 million potential customers then they are losing out too, how many people who are casual gamers bought a kinect and are now disappointed with the lack of support? The only problem is knowing how many who have a kinect would buy something good for it, and we'd only know that if someone made something good for it.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jan 2013, 12:08

I'm not sure if I agree with the argument, but if that's how the developers (and more importantly the VERY conservative publishers) view it then that's where the problem lies. The worse part is that the longer we spend NOT having that killer app the more people trade them in and the fewer devs want to take the risk and it goes round.

It's a vicious circle that I think we can only now get out of by having the Kinect 2.0 ship with the Gertrude.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 10 Jan 2013, 19:24

I would bloody love Black and White on the Kinect or any good god game for that matter, i.e Populous. Or even a new Viva Pinata.

Unfortunately nobody seems to want to take that risk of creating something for Kinect that uses it's full potential. It can and is a great piece of kit if people would just let it shine.

On a side note: Sat here typing in the pre-order/box content for Anarchy Reigns, wouldn't it be great if you could hold up the code to the Kinect and it'll automatically type it in for you?
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Jan 2013, 10:09

Plamsa wing wrote:I would bloody love Black and White on the Kinect or any good god game for that matter, i.e Populous. Or even a new Viva Pinata.

Unfortunately nobody seems to want to take that risk of creating something for Kinect that uses it's full potential. It can and is a great piece of kit if people would just let it shine.

On a side note: Sat here typing in the pre-order/box content for Anarchy Reigns, wouldn't it be great if you could hold up the code to the Kinect and it'll automatically type it in for you?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to start using those square bar code things that crop up everywhere.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator