to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

ERA blames terrible 2012 UK sales on sluggish digital, lack

Your comments on our articles.

"We look forward to being able to offer the public a much better release slate in 2013."

Last year was a pretty terrible year if you're a purveyor of digital worlds. According to MCV, the overall UK games market contracted by 17.4 per cent to £1.598 billion, down from £1.943 billion in 2011. Who's to blame, then? The Mayans? The US Election? The continued absence of next generation hardware? Entertainment Retailers Association director general Kim Bayley has a few ideas.... read more

ERA blames terrible 2012 UK sales on sluggish digital, lack

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Jan 2013, 12:11

I think people are just waiting for next-gen, and also trying to save money in this economy. I think next-gen will help because (the wii u doesn't count, it's in its own quarter gen of bullship) it will seem like a good purchase, and will appeal to a lot of customers, rather than the wii u, which no one understands outside of people who read about games 'oh it's a new controller right?'.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: ERA blames terrible 2012 UK sales on sluggish digital, l

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Jan 2013, 12:22

Bezza89 wrote:I think people are just waiting for next-gen, and also trying to save money in this economy. I think next-gen will help because (the wii u doesn't count, it's in its own quarter gen of bullship) it will seem like a good purchase, and will appeal to a lot of customers, rather than the wii u, which no one understands outside of people who read about games 'oh it's a new controller right?'.

Half the journalists at the launch announcement thought it was a new controller. Worse product launch in history.

And I agree a global resession, spiralling petrol prices and another inflation busting rise in gas and electricity has probably had a bigger impact than just about anything else.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: ERA blames terrible 2012 UK sales on sluggish digital, l

Postby msbhvn » 07 Jan 2013, 12:25

Between its 360-ripoff Pro controller and slightly beefier specs, the Wii U could carve a niche for itself, until the new Xbox and PlayStation come along to make it look like an underpowered calculator, that is. My brother's kids got one for Christmas, but as we went to my sister's for Boxing Day, I didn't get my hands on it. :(

Digital sales are only sluggish in the UK because of lazy price conversions making everything 50% more expensive! Factor in the lack of Online Passes and other offers and you'd have to be certifiable to go digital. It's not just Xbox gouging us, PSN and Steam are just as bad! Steam at least have decent sales, though, and PSN give you some games for no extra cost after a subscription fee. Xbox's idea of a sale is 33% off something that is 50% overpriced to begin with.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66