to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more wher

Your comments on our articles.

"NUads is a real breakthrough in TV advertising"

If you think Xbox Live is getting a little advertising-heavy, I bring sad tidings. Microsoft's experimental "NUads" campaign has seen considerable success, the manufacturer has revealed, and you can expect "more investment" on that front down the line.... read more

Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more wher

Postby BPR WAR » 09 Jan 2013, 12:17

Not having Kinect I didn't realise these existed. Personally I think someone needs to bring out an adblock app for the dashboard - I might actually download that one...
BPR WAR 19
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Jan 2013, 12:14

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby tony99 » 09 Jan 2013, 12:37

Another reason for me to not buy a kinect.Microsofts blatant money grabbing is starting to wear on me now and to top it off we're still paying for live :!:

Going off topic,what's this blue bar thing under my handle?
tony99 18
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Jan 2013, 12:59

tony99 wrote:Another reason for me to not buy a kinect.Microsofts blatant money grabbing is starting to wear on me now and to top it off we're still paying for live :!:

Going off topic,what's this blue bar thing under my handle?


If you pull it your inflatable jacket pluffs up and you can float. When you get to level 10 you get a whistle too.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3734
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby Metalrodent » 09 Jan 2013, 13:39

just another way Microsoft is screwing us over, I want my xbox to play games - not have more companies trying to sell me shit, I get enough of that from the TV, Radio, Street, Internet and magazines.

and the Halo Waypoint ads really piss me off :evil:
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 67
 
Posts: 4233
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby tony99 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:40

FishyGinger wrote:
tony99 wrote:Another reason for me to not buy a kinect.Microsofts blatant money grabbing is starting to wear on me now and to top it off we're still paying for live :!:

Going off topic,what's this blue bar thing under my handle?


If you pull it your inflatable jacket pluffs up and you can float. When you get to level 10 you get a whistle too.


So i'm guessing when you get to 50(you're close)you get the boat to go with it? :lol:
Last edited by tony99 on 09 Jan 2013, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
tony99 18
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Jan 2013, 13:43

tony99 wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:If you pull it your inflatable jacket pluffs up and you can float. When you get to level 10 you get a whistle too.


So i'm guessing when you get to 50 (like yourself)you get the boat to go with it? :lol:


Normally yeah, but we with held his because we all hope he'll drown :lol:

In all seriousnous it's just a weird monitor to show your activity and OXM XP level. Opinion is split on whether it's effected by visits, pages read, posts or a mixture.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9342
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby tony99 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:48

I see,thanks.I read on this site daily but just decide not to post too much.No boat then.............oh well i'll keep doing the lottery i suppose. :(
tony99 18
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Jan 2013, 13:53

tony99 wrote:I see,thanks.I read on this site daily but just decide not to post too much.No boat then.............oh well i'll keep doing the lottery i suppose. :(


You might get a boat. I've just reached 51 and mine hasn't arrived yet but it may be in the post...lottery is probably a safer bet though.

And post more often, you seem like a nice guy and we like new people
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9342
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby STE MO » 09 Jan 2013, 13:58

I dont know why people complain about these adverts. If you don't want to watch them don't scroll over them. The thing that pisses me off, with them, is the fact that they are using advertising but our subscription has changed. If they want to advertise then drop the price by £5, that would make people happy.
STE MO 50
 
Posts: 748
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby Bezza89 » 09 Jan 2013, 14:46

STE MO wrote:I dont know why people complain about these adverts. If you don't want to watch them don't scroll over them. The thing that pisses me off, with them, is the fact that they are using advertising but our subscription has changed. If they want to advertise then drop the price by £5, that would make people happy.


Maybe it's to stop an increase in price of subscription which would be likely? Also, it's only adverts for TV not the rubbish ones on the dash, as you say don't do it if it bothers you, but you get ads on tv no matter what.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Jan 2013, 15:02

CunningSmile wrote:
Normally yeah, but we with held his because we all hope he'll drown :lol:

In all seriousnous it's just a weird monitor to show your activity and OXM XP level. Opinion is split on whether it's effected by visits, pages read, posts or a mixture.


Fishy doesn't drown underwater. Come the second great flood Jebus sends you, Ol' Fishy will the one laughing like a loon.

It is just some level thing, it certainly isn't a 'cool' indicator because he's an accountant whereas I'm like the Fonze. With gills.

ehhhhhhhh 8)
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3734
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby senote » 09 Jan 2013, 16:03

News like this makes me glad I don't have Kinect, that and the fact from what I read all the Kinect integration with real games is stuff that's shoehorned in and adds nothing at all to the experience.

One thing that does really piss me off is the way every time MS update the dash they make it different enough that you then have to spend a week trying to figure out where everything has been moved too, it reminds me of Facebook and the way they screw it up every 6 months.

Possibly my biggest annoyance is the DLC section and the fact MS still don't have a separate section for 'song and dance' tracks. I check the marketplace every time I bought up my xbox and I swear I have never seen the Skyrim Dragonborn DLC in the add-ons section, only on a dashboard panel.

What I don't understand is someone at MS gets paid a decent wage to design this and there are so many basic flaws in the user interface that this guy must be doing it on purpose just so that he can keep himself in work.
User avatar
senote 24
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby Worthies » 09 Jan 2013, 17:17

Xbox live has somewhere in the realm of 50 million users.
If one yearly subscription cost £40, the Microsoft has the potential to have an income of in excess of £2 billion per year. :shock:
Add on top all the income it gets from third parties, then Microsoft has one serious cash cow.

Why on earth do they need to invest more in advertising!
I can see many other areas where they could spend that vast income.

I would repeat calls for a drop in subscription fees, but it may be a bit futile.

(I am aware that these sums aren't exact, and there may be a large number of Silver members, but seriously!)
Worthies 29
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 16:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby senote » 09 Jan 2013, 17:52

Worthies wrote:Xbox live has somewhere in the realm of 50 million users.
(I am aware that these sums aren't exact, and there may be a large number of Silver members, but seriously!)


MS 'fudge' these numbers quite a lot, when they say 50 million users are they counting consoles sold, or consoles made, or actual XBL accounts?

If it's consoles sold then you have to take into account RROD, most of the people I know on XBL have paid for at least 2 consoles, myself included.
If it's consoles made RROD becomes even more of a factor, since most people have had one or more consoles exchanged, I've had 4 maybe 5 over the life of the console and not once have I ever purchased one as an upgrade for a newer version of the hardware.
If it's XBL accounts then a large number have more than one account, I had one for US and one for Japan at one point, lots of people drift away from xbox and then come back and make a new username, a kid I work with has had 2 or 3 himself.

I'd guesstimate the figure to be around 15-25 million real users, so being optimistic lets say 25, with all being gold, that halves the figure you got, then take into account the running costs of XBL, staff, offices, marketing, lots and lots of other thing and that figure gets reduced significantly.

Finally you have to remember you can't go www.anything.com these days without seeing adverts so MS might as well get in on it too.
User avatar
senote 24
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft hails success of Xbox Live ads, promises more

Postby STE MO » 09 Jan 2013, 19:27

Bezza89 wrote:
STE MO wrote:I dont know why people complain about these adverts. If you don't want to watch them don't scroll over them. The thing that pisses me off, with them, is the fact that they are using advertising but our subscription has changed. If they want to advertise then drop the price by £5, that would make people happy.


Maybe it's to stop an increase in price of subscription which would be likely? Also, it's only adverts for TV not the rubbish ones on the dash, as you say don't do it if it bothers you, but you get ads on tv no matter what.


That's a very good point, we always moan that the price hasn't gone down in the years Live has been active, but we forget that everything else has gone up, by way of inflation. I read it a little to quick anyhow :oops:
STE MO 50
 
Posts: 748
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], TronZler and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]