to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Capcom will collaborate with DmC studio Ninja Theory again -

Your comments on our articles.

"We both know we're pulling in the right direction" with Devil May Cry

Capcom's ardour for DmC: Devil May Cry studio Ninja Theory hasn't cooled since the publisher touted that "25-year wisdom transplant" to the Cambridge-based independent last August. Speaking to VG247, Capcom US producer Alex Jones has praised Ninja Theory's "proven track record of delivering quality products", and says he's keen for the relationship to continue.... read more

Capcom will collaborate with DmC studio Ninja Theory again -

Postby fracturedrich » 09 Jan 2013, 16:52

i predict a 9 and that with replay value and good gameplay will have me sold.
fracturedrich 45

Re: Capcom will collaborate with DmC studio Ninja Theory aga

Postby Decent_Jam » 09 Jan 2013, 18:17

I hope 9 but I suspect 8, there's bound to be something which means my plan of an early spring clean to trade some games in for this goes awry.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby kyl » 09 Jan 2013, 22:23

It's such a shame that by shifting the focus from what was an intensely involving combat system to something that is more broadly accessible that Ninja Theory seem to be sacrificing what made DMC3 such a technically rich and diverse action game. The entire series has generally made efforts to accomadate experienced and not so experienced players by way of multiple difficulty levels, like Easy Automatic. By broadening the appeal of DmC it seems that NT are only going to alienate those players that made DMC the brand it is today. Which makes me sad.

All that aside, I'm sure it won't be a bad game either. I guess an 8 or a 9 in the review although a score like that wouldn't assuage my concerns unless it was written from the perspective of someone who really appreciated the depth of DMC3's combat.
kyl 2

Postby BumblebeeCody » 09 Jan 2013, 23:40

kyl wrote:It's such a shame that by shifting the focus from what was an intensely involving combat system to something that is more broadly accessible that Ninja Theory seem to be sacrificing what made DMC3 such a technically rich and diverse action game. The entire series has generally made efforts to accomadate experienced and not so experienced players by way of multiple difficulty levels, like Easy Automatic. By broadening the appeal of DmC it seems that NT are only going to alienate those players that made DMC the brand it is today. Which makes me sad.

All that aside, I'm sure it won't be a bad game either. I guess an 8 or a 9 in the review although a score like that wouldn't assuage my concerns unless it was written from the perspective of someone who really appreciated the depth of DMC3's combat.

Haha please dude, DmC is just as indepth. So far the community have explored the demo to death, posted combo videos and found some interesting combo tech.
Talk about what you know rather than pointlessly hating.
BumblebeeCody 4

Postby kyl » 10 Jan 2013, 00:44

BumblebeeCody wrote:Haha please dude, DmC is just as indepth. So far the community have explored the demo to death, posted combo videos and found some interesting combo tech.
Talk about what you know rather than pointlessly hating.

Pointless hating? Well for a start I'm not actually hating on the game, I just think it won't be as good as DMC3. I don't think my concerns are misplaced either.

But here's what I do know. My gripes with this game stem from its combat system. It doesn't have lock-on, which makes it somewhat more difficult to engage with the enemy. But more importantly the lack of lock-on removes the option for directional-input dependent attacks that were previously only executable in lock-on. To fix this they've had have to dedicate a separate face button to launching and helm-breaker attacks which used to be be performed with the same O or B button in DMC3 and 4. This is the same button that was previously used for styles. It essentially limits the kinds of things that are possible with DmC's combat system. Stingers, thankfully, can still be performed but you have to 'dial' the attack rather than execute it immediately as in DMC3.

The removal of styles disappoints me as I loved the sheer wealth of gameplay options that the style system brought with it, whether it was through the acrobatic skills of Trickster or the split-second window with which you could block and repel attacks with Royal Guard. Only a small selection of skills from the old styles seem to have made it into the new game. Beyond that NT seem to have added very little new to DMC's combat, other than perhaps their glaive weapon with its homing attacks.

Does any of this mean that DmC will be a bad game? Hell no! The environments look lush, the sound design and music is incredible and the combat looks serviceable at least. But it's unlikely as hell that the combat will be as technically rich and demanding as it was in DMC3.
kyl 2

Postby SilentDark » 10 Jan 2013, 15:52

Hmm...just recently played the demo and my problems stem largely from the style and character than technical aspects.

I know it's been said to death but Dante's wiry drug addict look doesn't impress me at all. I know they were going for a grungier grittier look but really, the guy looks barely able to look after himself. I'm not as passionately hateful about it as I was when it was first revealed though.

The new origin - Dante acting as a champion of humanity could have been said to be "in the blood" given that his father loved humanity so much that he betrayed his race and even fathered children with one. Now Dante has no connection to humanity and his motivation seems more revenge based. Anti-heroes litter fiction so much that a straight hero would seem almost original these days.

F-bombs - I'm no prude, but the Poison boss dialogue consisting of several F-bombs is kind of disappointing, are we really still using foul language to seem edgy and mature. Just slightly dissapointed is all.

All in all I'll probably pick this up down the line when the price drops significanty. I don't see it as a must have purchase.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62