to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox IllumiRoom video - the next generation of gameplay reve

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft's "Holodeck" technology goes large at CES 2013

When Microsoft patented the Holodeck last September, I was unconvinced. The idea of projecting in-game graphics onto surfaces around your telly seemed far too impractical to ever manifest itself in reality. Well, a big hand to the Xbox R&D team, because we now have a proof-of-technology video. Ladies and gents, say hello to the Xbox IllumiRoom.... read more

Xbox IllumiRoom video - the next generation of gameplay reve

Postby PaladinRonin » 10 Jan 2013, 11:03

The idea is very interesting, though I'd like to know weather that video contained an actual showcase or weather it was a graphical impression post-production added to show what it would do.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 31

Re: Xbox IllumiRoom video - the next generation of gameplay

Postby LNT73 » 10 Jan 2013, 11:43

I really hope this is real!
LNT73 20

Postby vadersmyfather » 10 Jan 2013, 11:47

Looks cool....if we all played games at night or with the curtains closed.

I want to be hyped for this but after experiencing the true Kinnect (and not the Milo version) I'm finding it difficult.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby Chameleon » 10 Jan 2013, 11:53

If this works anything approaching as well as it looks in that video, I shall be rearranging my house to suit (TV is currently at an angle in the corner, which ought not to work properly - it's not like we need a kitchen anyway).

WANT!
Chameleon 44

Postby rulingthebends » 10 Jan 2013, 13:43

surely for such projections to be made in the room it would have to be very dark. so it will be interesting to see how microsoft works around these limitations. also i don't know about anyone else but i've been told that playing games or watching telly in the dark is damaging to your eyes, how are they going to guarantee that this is not the case with their device?
rulingthebends 7

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jan 2013, 13:55

Sorry to be cynical but to me it looks like the first videos of the Kinect in action; really cool but once it's released we all realise that they've cut corners to get it's price down, it only works in perfect light conditions that can only be duplicated in a controlled environment, you need to live in a warehouse with no other furniture besides your TV and console and you'd better live alone and have no pets...

...and no one will release any games for it that are worth playing.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave101 » 11 Jan 2013, 00:01

wow thats crap, have you ever tried to play a game on a hd3d projector or even non-3d onto a non-flat wall? its how i already play games with a £400 projector, ill wait for the uss enterprise 1701-C edition.
Dave101 16

Postby mistergrimm » 11 Jan 2013, 17:22

loved how the majority of the video was all FPS BOOM HEADSHOT YEAHHH and then there's two seconds of a lady playing mario kart
mistergrimm 33

Postby Xbox maniac » 19 Jan 2013, 09:39

Wait Mario? this is Xbox not Nintendo
Xbox maniac 1

Postby OneWinged553 » 20 Feb 2013, 16:14

if this becomes a reality...I'll both finally have a reason to keep my gaming area clean, and we're one step closer to the movie "gamer" in style of playing games, and I am all for that :D
OneWinged553 1

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Feb 2013, 11:31

OneWinged553 wrote:if this becomes a reality...I'll both finally have a reason to keep my gaming area clean, and we're one step closer to the movie "gamer" in style of playing games, and I am all for that :D

I keep mine clean because I bought a robot hoover and it hates clutter :D
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator