to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

343 boss: next gen Halo 5 will be "genuinely amazing", Halo

Your comments on our articles.

"We made a lot of mistakes", but "I'm more excited about the future than the past"

Halo 4: a bold rebirth - but since when has birth been a tidy, complication-free process? 343's co-founder Frank O'Connor has taken to Halo Waypoint to acknowledge a few of the mistakes the developer made with the game, while insisting that "by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success".... read more

343 boss: next gen Halo 5 will be "genuinely amazing", Halo

Postby Droidsbane » 10 Jan 2013, 13:13

343 had some big shoes to fill after Bungie's departure, I think they did a terrific job considering the monumental task they had. Yes the game wasnt perfect (but what game is), they've done good with franchise so far and im certainly looking forward unto dawn for what they bring in the future.
Droidsbane 33

Re: 343 boss: next gen Halo 5 will be "genuinely amazing", H

Postby fracturedrich » 10 Jan 2013, 13:55

There were a lot of great games last year,But for the whole package,Halo 4 was easy my game of the year.Black ops 2 got the multiplayer right,But the game fell short of previous cod.Halo 4 got the multiplayer and single player near perfect,the graphics wont get better this generation and i fancy the halo franchise to rule next gen.
fracturedrich 46

Postby PonderingWalrus » 10 Jan 2013, 15:20

Halo 4 is the best in the series? Not too sure about that. I mean, it's brilliant and brings some fantastic new things to the table but I do feel like it is missing a certain something that made Halo 3 and Halo Reach so special. Nonetheless, 343 have done an amazing job and I would definitely say it can be counted among the finest games of the series.

Cannot wait to see what Halo 5 holds. :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby GossipHound » 10 Jan 2013, 15:21

Droidsbane wrote:343 had some big shoes to fill after Bungie's departure, I think they did a terrific job considering the monumental task they had. Yes the game wasnt perfect (but what game is), they've done good with franchise so far and im certainly looking forward unto dawn for what they bring in the future.

Agree 100% with this. Reach got me into the mulitplayer side of Halo and was hooked so had high expectations for Halo 4 and wasn't disapointed - the day off work for release day was worth it despite the odd server problems.

Campaign wise I didn't get that attached to Reach's Spartans so wasn't that concerned with their fate - Halo 4 has a more emotional arc than Reach as we are more familiar with the Chief and his relationship with Cortana. Also the whole game has a more solid, punchier feel to it if that makes sense - guns sound a lot meatier, heavy clunks when you sprint etc.

So also looking forward to what 343 have planned for Halo 5 - if they bring back firefight it won't be far off perfection!
Peace through superior firepower.
GossipHound 30

Postby PonderingWalrus » 10 Jan 2013, 15:23

fracturedrich wrote:There were a lot of great games last year,But for the whole package,Halo 4 was easy my game of the year.Black ops 2 got the multiplayer right,But the game fell short of previous cod.Halo 4 got the multiplayer and single player near perfect,the graphics wont get better this generation and i fancy the halo franchise to rule next gen.

The perfection of the singleplayer is very debatable. The campaign was good but very linear compared to past Halo games. It lacked sandbox areas and worthwhile vehicle sections for the most part.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Web Des » 10 Jan 2013, 15:39

Enough Halos Microsoft!!! New games please.. Alan Wake was the newet game and 2010 was to long ago.
Web Des 2

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 10 Jan 2013, 16:36

I thought that Halo 4 was a very good game, it looked beautiful and played well. But it was missing something, and I think that was the Firefight mode. Spec Ops is all well and good, but you only have to play it through a couple of times to know what's coming and what to do. Firefight mode added an element of 'chaos' into the mix, and was often a very exciting mode that saw people happy to play again immediately after finishing a game. I notice that Halo 4 has slipped behind Minecraft in the Xbox Live Activity Charts the week beginning the 31st December, and I do wonder just how much of an impact not having a Firefight mode in Halo 4 had in the amount of time people played the game.

Here's hoping that 343 either add Firefight to Halo 4 or certainly include it in Halo 5. Firefight's absence is certainly something that I would consider a mistep.

And unfortunately, I think the same may happen to Gears of War JudgEment. No Horde mode will affect the amount of time that it will be played.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Droidsbane » 10 Jan 2013, 16:56

AllusiveTurtle wrote: And unfortunately, I think the same may happen to Gears of War JudgEment. No Horde mode will affect the amount of time that it will be played.

Theres no Horde in Judgement?
Droidsbane 33

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 10 Jan 2013, 18:10

Droidsbane wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote: And unfortunately, I think the same may happen to Gears of War JudgEment. No Horde mode will affect the amount of time that it will be played.

Theres no Horde in Judgement?

No Horde mode has been announced, instead they have made a new mode called Overrun that combines both Horde and Beast in which you take it as turns to play as both COG and then Locust (effectively a team deathmatch mode in which you attempt to storm/safeguard a base).
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby ChillieBonBon » 10 Jan 2013, 22:51

That would make the wierdest specsavers advert ever :)
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Jan 2013, 23:28

ChillieBonBon wrote:That would make the wierdest specsavers advert ever :)

Give me an etch a sketch, a pint of gin and some cough medicine and I could come up with something to top that :P
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Metalrodent » 11 Jan 2013, 00:13

best in the series? nah, it has a pretty and fun but overly short campaign (and a stupid plot that requires the Glasslands book series to be read, though not a bad thing as the books are good, plus numorous plot holes) and good multiplayer hampered by a few issues. Halo 3 still holds the single player crown for me while Reach has the multiplayer
That said there still isn't a bad Halo game, they're all well above the best efforts of most other games (well, Wars is debatable)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Carpet Monkey » 11 Jan 2013, 13:13

I am a HUGE halo fan, and even though I love both the original halo and halo 3, Halo 4 has to be the best in the series for me. Or at least on a far with the original. Completely recaptured that feeling of awe and mystery that the first game had, which is no small feat at all!
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby xPearse » 13 Jan 2013, 16:02

Umm Halo 1, Halo 2 best games in series and not Halo 4 which could have been better. Halo reach was trash to the series, halo has now become COD which Halo 3 backwards had own unique feel.
xPearse 26

Postby Dannerzzz » 13 Jan 2013, 21:43

Web Des wrote:Enough Halos Microsoft!!! New games please.. Alan Wake was the newet game and 2010 was to long ago.

Maybe you're a bit confussed, but Microsoft didn't make Halo 4, nor did they make Alan Wake, 343i and Remedy respectively made them. Microsoft are only puplishers, not developer. New games like Alan Wake or it's sequel will arive when the developers have finished making them.
Dannerzzz 10

Next