to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

75% of US parents believe violent videogames "contribute" to

Your comments on our articles.

US vice-president to meet with IGDA reps to discuss

Three-quarters of parents in the US believe that playing videogames "contributes" to violent behaviour, according to a survey published by Common Sense Media. That's the same proportion of people who think that easy access to guns can be an influential factor, apparently.... read more

Postby ridinglikesatan » 11 Jan 2013, 13:14

Are you surprised? This is a country in which Mitt Romney almost got elected president and is still incredibly religious.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ridinglikesatan?feature=mhee
ridinglikesatan 20

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Jan 2013, 13:18

In the interests of a balanced arguement the lowest crime rate (not just violent crimes) in the world is amongst the Amish.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: 75% of US parents believe violent videogames "contribute

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Jan 2013, 13:22

CunningSmile wrote:In the interests of a balanced arguement the lowest crime rate (not just violent crimes) in the world is amongst the Amish.

I saw a documentary about that. They're quite good at bowling too.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby msbhvn » 11 Jan 2013, 13:37

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:In the interests of a balanced arguement the lowest crime rate (not just violent crimes) in the world is amongst the Amish.

I saw a documentary about that. They're quite good at bowling too.

Hate to shatter your illusions, Fishy, but Kingpin wasn't a documentary. :shock:

Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't mean it's true, people thought the earth was flat, that the sun went around the earth etc. People want to believe video games cause mass shootings because then they can ban them and there'll never be another shooting. Banning guns would be a lot more likely to prevent another shooting, but that's never going to happen in the US.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 11 Jan 2013, 13:50

Easy access to guns is clearly unrelated.

Burn the films and games! :roll:
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 11 Jan 2013, 14:19

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but don’t we play Mass Effect, Call of Duty and Dynasty Wars here in the UK? I’m also fairly sure that we also play most other games available in the US, as do pretty much every other developed country in the world, but we don’t have the same level of gun related crime or mass killings.

Man’s inhumanity to man, has been well documented throughout the centuries; there have been mass killings and serial-killers throughout history, long before the playing of videogames or the watching of films. Following both the Hungerford massacre and the Dunblane killings here in the UK (both of which occurred well before the playing of violent games became commonplace), gun laws were tightened and it is now extremely difficult to legitimately own a firearm, and whilst they can be obtained through illegal means, most of us wouldn’t know where to go to find one. The result of the tightening of these laws has been that firearm related crime is a rarity in most parts of the country (though certain areas and certain communities do still have issues), but the level of gun ownership here in the UK never got close to that in other parts of the world.

In each of the recent mass killings in the US, the two most prominent factors have been access to firearms and mental health issues. Efforts by certain parts of the media, gun associations, and even politicians, to lay the blame at the door of videogames are nothing short attempts to muddy the water and divert attention away from that which is truly responsible; the easy access to guns and the mental issues of those that are using them.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby SilentDark » 11 Jan 2013, 15:47

There was no crime, no war and no hate until Pong hit the arcades :lol:

Seriously though, what is wrong with these people. Why are they so stupid? I can forgive them for voting a monkey as president twice but now, I mean, come on, you have easy access to firearms and that is never entertained as a potential factor. How do you explain our history of violence before video games, the holocaust? The various wars of man? Slavery? If you believe the bible, as many of you do, my dear Americans, then violence is part of us, and has been since Cain killed Abel, or are you saying that Cain wanted Abel's Gameboy?

This is the most powerful nation on Earth ladies and gentlemen, and we should all be very afraid. :cry:
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Jan 2013, 15:51

SilentDark wrote:This is the most powerful nation on Earth ladies and gentlemen, and we should all be very afraid. :cry:

As Gore Vidal put it "Half of America have never read a newspaper, and half have never voted...One really hope it's the same half." :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby ShiMoShinkenFry » 11 Jan 2013, 16:02

What can I say, I played Viva Pinata and when I hit something with the shovel I gained the urge to go around an start hitting the general public with shovels. D; I think we all know that the only game to blame for all of this is Viva Pinata.
ShiMoShinkenFry 13

Postby msbhvn » 11 Jan 2013, 16:08

SilentDark wrote:I can forgive them for voting a monkey as president twice

I really hope you mean George W Bush, otherwise that's a very unfortunate turn of phrase.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby ipsofacto » 11 Jan 2013, 16:21

Wow... 75% is ridiculous
If they see violence as an issue, their gun laws would worry me more than videogames.
ipsofacto 42

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Jan 2013, 17:20

Playing resident evil 6 made me want to kill.

While I agree a killing spree with a spork is unlikely and tighter laws/licencing are needed, it's not inherently guns to fault. I imagine you would have to overcome a massive mental barrier to take someones life, be it with a perfectly designed spoon and fork combination, an Uzi 9mm or a phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Without that barrier someone wouldn't think twice about killing. Harold shipman managed a fair few kills without plasma based weaponry.

It's all down to mental health issues being rife so I believe the only way to stop it is by giving all our nuclear weaponry to China and telling them the US are going to liberate Tibet by force.

Anyways, that's what I read in my last fortune cookie.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Thos. » 11 Jan 2013, 17:36

They are correct. Repeated scientific studies have shown that videogames increase aggression and violent behaviour.

The question is, how much? - some studies show the influence is very mild, or only affects those prone to violent behaviour. Other studies show more significant short and long term increases in aggression.

Video games can also undoubtedly have positive effects too, on sociability, mental health and as stress relievers.

However, if you are prepared to accept video games can relax you or make you happy, you are going to have to accept they can increase anger and aggression too.
Thos. 43

Postby EdDeRs1 » 11 Jan 2013, 17:50

benefit: any invading aliens are f**ked thanks to our awesome Halo, Mass Effect and XCOM skills
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby EdDeRs1 » 11 Jan 2013, 17:56

msbhvn wrote:
SilentDark wrote:I can forgive them for voting a monkey as president twice

I really hope you mean George W Bush, otherwise that's a very unfortunate turn of phrase.

he is NOT a monkey! that is insulting to monkeys! chimpanzees, and over other Great Ape out there! we must classify him as a man child
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Next