to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Island PR infamy: Deep Silver "deeply sorry" for widely

Your comments on our articles.

"We are committed to making sure this will never happen again."

We didn't write about this yesterday, because I was too busy staring bleakly at my feet in search of my happy space. Deep Silver's Dead Island: Riptide "Zombie Bait Edition" includes a small, mangled plastic torso with enormous breasts, wearing a Union Jack bikini and matching thong. Hey, at least it doesn't double as a sex aid.... read more

Dead Island PR infamy: Deep Silver "deeply sorry" for widely

Postby xXPiperAlphaXx » 16 Jan 2013, 11:27

Brilliant publicity stunt!
xXPiperAlphaXx 16

Re: Dead Island PR infamy: Deep Silver "deeply sorry" for wi

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jan 2013, 12:01

I'm going with drumming up publicity on this, since probably like me most people had no idea this existed until they release a press statement "apologising" for it.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Jan 2013, 12:21

Saw it beforehand, still think it looks awful. Why would you want a torso? (other than the aimed for 13 year old boys without access to the internet.)
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby xXPiperAlphaXx » 16 Jan 2013, 13:28

CunningSmile wrote:I'm going with drumming up publicity on this, since probably like me most people had no idea this existed until they release a press statement "apologising" for it.

My thoughts exactly. They must love this kind of 'bad press'.
xXPiperAlphaXx 16

Postby Plamsa wing » 16 Jan 2013, 13:58

Oh come on it's not bad! Jesus ******* christ people really do like to complain about anything now don't they?

Once again they've managed to make a mountain out of a molehill. Nothing happens when you get offended, you're arse doesn't catch fire, tits don't grow on frogs.

Once again common sense is nowhere to be found. Looks like I won't be able to draw someones naked portrait without someone getting offended now. You have to ruin it for everyone don't you? Don't you? :cry:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Decent_Jam » 16 Jan 2013, 19:17

Plamsa wing wrote:Oh come on it's not bad! Jesus ******* christ people really do like to complain about anything now don't they?

Once again they've managed to make a mountain out of a molehill. Nothing happens when you get offended, you're arse doesn't catch fire, tits don't grow on frogs.

Once again common sense is nowhere to be found. Looks like I won't be able to draw someones naked portrait without someone getting offended now. You have to ruin it for everyone don't you? Don't you? :cry:

Reading this makes me feel like confessing through tears that it's all my fault and begging for forgiveness.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby NBA Kirkland » 16 Jan 2013, 21:48

Hey, at least it doesn't double as a sex aid.:

Says who?
NBA Kirkland 24

Postby comabob » 16 Jan 2013, 22:04

I actually quite liked the look of it.

It strangely suits the games b-movie/grindhouse feel.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Drainwater » 17 Jan 2013, 01:49

You had me at "You've got a small butchered effigy of a woman on your desk."
Drainwater 34

Postby mistergrimm » 17 Jan 2013, 06:48

Honestly I didn't see anything sexual in it. It was just a dismembered torso that happened to be female to me. While not particularly artistic or tasteful it should surely appeal to gore fans (i.e the kind of people who love zombie fiction). Would there have been the same level of outcry had the bust been male?

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for them to use a woman wearing a t-shirt if they insisted on it being female, but honestly to me it really doesn't seem to be trying to be sexually provocative. At least, no more sexually provocative than a woman wearing a bikini on a beach at a tropical island resort. Like the one the game is set on. Which kind of makes it a relevant design choice.

Maybe I'm reading hard into this and being misogynistic or something and it's not about the boobs but about the blood, in which case - so what?
mistergrimm 33

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jan 2013, 10:28

Drainwater wrote:You had me at "You've got a small butchered effigy of a woman on your desk."

:lol: You winz the internetz
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Sandbwoy » 18 Jan 2013, 23:41

It's a collector's edition display statue, what's wrong with that? It's just the same as the Duke Nukem bust that came with the collector's edition of Duke Nukem Forever, or the dragon statue that was bundled with Skyrim's collector's edition. I don't see what the fuss is about. If people have time to make complaints about such things, they need to get a life!
Sandbwoy 24

Postby oca » 20 Jan 2013, 19:01

Why are we becoming such a prissy society. Does it really matter if there's a figurine of a boobed torso - who really cares? It's in keeping with the darkness of the game - the same darkness that so many love - and isn't even overly offensive anyway. If people are offended by it then don't get it - not exactly difficult. I could understand this response if the collector's edition came with a video of women being massacred to the point where they are just torso's with large boobs and if that same video came with a tutorial on how to do so but this figurine is nothing.
oca 2