to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Your comments on our articles.

Rumours say that future TVs will contain Xbox tech. Yay or nay?

"Xbox TV" is one of life's bigger mysteries right now - well, providing you're so wed to technology that scouring a Microsoft job listing for specifications constitutes a solid evening's fun. The firm's designs on the broad entertainment market are widely understood (and in some cases, resented), but exactly how those designs will pan out over the next few years is a matter of some conjecture.... read more

The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby SkinnerChinner » 18 Jan 2013, 12:50

No, because Egon said "crossing the streams is bad..."
SkinnerChinner 35
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 17 Apr 2012, 11:44

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Jan 2013, 12:59

I thought Matt was dead to you all?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby Alaric14 » 18 Jan 2013, 13:39

Short answer: No.
Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Xbox / TV. TV / Xbox. I do not need more lines blurred in this world of media clusterfuckery, thank you, Microsoft. Keep making gaming and OS products, it's what you're good at.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
User avatar
Alaric14 35
 
Posts: 805
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 10:06

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Jan 2013, 14:00

FishyGinger wrote:I thought Matt was dead to you all?


We thought so too, but turns out that was a decoy.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3171
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Jan 2013, 14:13

Logs argument is invalid - if he has multiple consoles and a separate TV thing under his TV then surely he'd need as many TVs as he does consoles. If he's saying having Xbox integrated into his TV will tie the room together, why not just have his xbox anyway? He'd just have one box under his TV. But by his silly rationale he'd have a PS3 TV, Xbox TV, commodore TV and apple TV TV. Or whatever he keeps under his TV.

In summary, there's no valid argument for having xbox integrated into a TV, it limits your options like Matt says. Having a basic xbox OS which allows for downloadable games and XBLA, well that's something else entirely.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby SilentDark » 18 Jan 2013, 14:26

A jack of all trades is a master of none.

That is all.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62
 
Posts: 2107
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Jan 2013, 14:40

SilentDark wrote:A jack of all trades is a master of none.

That is all.


That is all what?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Jan 2013, 14:44

That's everything Fish, it's over now, we might as well just give up. :mrgreen:
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby SilentDark » 18 Jan 2013, 14:57

I suppose I should clarify. A machine that can do everything while nice on paper is certainly not going to be as proficient as several machines that can do each specific task.

Wanting one single machine that can do everything just because it looks tidier is a rather foolish thought. I'd rather a room littered with technology that each device performs it's task well than a single device that performs them acceptably.

Also, if you have the one machine that does everything when that machine fails (and in this world of substandard electronics it WILL fail) you lose everything, can't play games, can't watch TV, can't watch movies etc.

I can see how my statement seemed needlessly obtuse and I offer humble apologies for not making myself clear.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62
 
Posts: 2107
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Jan 2013, 15:03

SilentDark wrote:I suppose I should clarify. A machine that can do everything while nice on paper is certainly not going to be as proficient as several machines that can do each specific task.

Wanting one single machine that can do everything just because it looks tidier is a rather foolish thought. I'd rather a room littered with technology that each device performs it's task well than a single device that performs them acceptably.

Also, if you have the one machine that does everything when that machine fails (and in this world of substandard electronics it WILL fail) you lose everything, can't play games, can't watch TV, can't watch movies etc.

I can see how my statement seemed needlessly obtuse and I offer humble apologies for not making myself clear.


Of course if you lose the TV then the xbox is still fairly useless. I get your point though I prefer separate devices. Just dislike the phrase. No need to apologise though we're all good here :)
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Jan 2013, 15:31

SilentDark wrote:
I can see how my statement seemed needlessly obtuse and I offer humble apologies for not making myself clear.


You were perfectly clear, me n fish were just ribtickling the 'that is all' last remark.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby SilentDark » 18 Jan 2013, 16:03

FishyGinger wrote:
SilentDark wrote:I suppose I should clarify. A machine that can do everything while nice on paper is certainly not going to be as proficient as several machines that can do each specific task.

Wanting one single machine that can do everything just because it looks tidier is a rather foolish thought. I'd rather a room littered with technology that each device performs it's task well than a single device that performs them acceptably.

Also, if you have the one machine that does everything when that machine fails (and in this world of substandard electronics it WILL fail) you lose everything, can't play games, can't watch TV, can't watch movies etc.

I can see how my statement seemed needlessly obtuse and I offer humble apologies for not making myself clear.


Of course if you lose the TV then the xbox is still fairly useless. I get your point though I prefer separate devices. Just dislike the phrase. No need to apologise though we're all good here :)


Well I supppose it can make for an attractive door stop :) However it does seem both Microsoft and Sony are trying to move towards a fully integrated device. Both the PS3 and Xbox have increasingly marketed themselves as home media centres, with advertising typically showing the device being used in the living room (albeit the largest living rooms I have ever seen in my life) I think both companies are attempting to move in this direction. Whether or not this is a step too far remains to be seen.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62
 
Posts: 2107
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby Sandbwoy » 18 Jan 2013, 21:48

It's an interesting idea, but there's no way an Xbox TV would be more popular than a stand-alone Xbox console. It might work for some people, but I think the majority of the gaming public would prefer the console to be seperate from the TV. I know I'd prefer it that way.
Sandbwoy 24
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 15 Jan 2013, 16:39
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Jan 2013, 02:03

I can see the appeal I really can. I have a smart tv, but something with a slot on the side for xbox discs...kind of makes sense really but microsoft would need to buy samsung first.

I wouldn't get one, but I can see the point.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: The Hot Topic - do we need an Xbox TV?

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 12:23

SilentDark wrote:I can see how my statement seemed needlessly obtuse and I offer humble apologies for not making myself clear.


Don't worry, Fish just likes taking the piss out of everything and Bezza insists on encouraging him. It's both a strength and weakness of having such as small group of users here that newcomers like yourself often feel like they've joined a random table at the pub, but once you get the round in we are much more fun.

On topic: I want my stuff seperate. I'm not the Dude so don't really care about tying my room together, but I do care about not having to replace everything if something breaks.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9345
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]