to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

DmC: Devil May Cry

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

DmC: Devil May Cry

Postby comabob » 18 Jan 2013, 17:05

Playing this now thanks to Lovefilm.

Im on level/mission 4 so far.

Pros - Its devil may cry. Emo haircut and Nolan North aside, its definitely a Devil May Cry game.
- It looks decent if a little too red and neon.

Cons - Its sluggish to control in general and button commands arent recognised 100% of the time
- Im only 4 levels in and the control pad is already too cluttered with button combinations.
- The platforming is VERY ropey and hard to judge distance
- You cant cancel combo animations with the dodge move. And the attack animations are slower than ideal.

Its only early so far - but im glad its Lovefilm and not a purchase.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Re: DmC: Devil May Cry

Postby Decent_Jam » 20 Jan 2013, 12:01

I'm about the same amount through and am really enjoying it. The story has more depth and better cinematics generally than it needs to have, which I appreciate. The button commands are a little daunting, but I've never done that well at games like Soul Calibur etc which require that and by comparison I think it's easier to get my head around.

I'm glad I bought it, I like the style and the brash humour of it sits well with the style. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the game holds up, I find doing it a couple of levels at a time is enough in one sitting. Hopefully there will be decent DLC to bring me back for more once I have finished, because I don't think I could handle a higher difficulty setting particularly well.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby comabob » 20 Jan 2013, 12:24

Finished this last night at around 7.5hours and while the controls were never perfect the game did get better.

The environments alone that you go through are pretty amazing at times but - BUT

The ending is terrible. The last 2 levels are very poor and over way too quick and the last boss - the VERY last boss is an exercise in grinding frustration.

Still - ive started a second [playthrough on Son Of Sparda difficulty and its not all that difficult to be honest.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby fracturedrich » 20 Jan 2013, 12:47

comabob wrote:Finished this last night at around 7.5hours and while the controls were never perfect the game did get better.

The environments alone that you go through are pretty amazing at times but - BUT

The ending is terrible. The last 2 levels are very poor and over way too quick and the last boss - the VERY last boss is an exercise in grinding frustration.

Still - ive started a second [playthrough on Son Of Sparda difficulty and its not all that difficult to be honest.

The only problem i have is the dodge button not reacting fast enough,if you think sos is not that hard wait until later when they throw witches in with dreamrunners,it does get more difficult after level 10,,ive been stuck a couple of times.To be fair i enjoyed the ending,as grindy as it was,it does leave it open to further games.On the 25th of this month they are bringing a 100 wave free dlc with five boss battles,and they reckon its going to take something special to beat it.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Carpet Monkey » 15 Feb 2013, 14:13

Ah, just realised we have a (very) small thread for this already. Really enjoyed this! Just put up my very first and probably awful attempt at video editing for my review http://youtu.be/cEaqf7GQnl4
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Feb 2013, 00:51

Carpet Monkey wrote:Ah, just realised we have a (very) small thread for this already. Really enjoyed this! Just put up my very first and probably awful attempt at video editing for my review http://youtu.be/cEaqf7GQnl4

Good work, liked it. You seemed a bit nervous at the start but once you got into your stride I think it worked.

Have to agree this game is good fun, it and XCOM are on my list for some playing tomorrow (amid dull important things)..
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 62

Postby schwepterbrowser » 17 Feb 2013, 02:52

I'll give it a watch on the laptop at some point, Monkey, it just drove my tablet mad. The browser crashed, I closed it and your voice continued - force stopped the app and it still continued, locked it and it continued still! Had to turn the bugger off.

... Not that I was desperate to shut you up or anything, I just couldn't conceive how what was happening was possible.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Feb 2013, 11:01

schwepterbrowser wrote:I'll give it a watch on the laptop at some point, Monkey, it just drove my tablet mad. The browser crashed, I closed it and your voice continued - force stopped the app and it still continued, locked it and it continued still! Had to turn the bugger off.

... Not that I was desperate to shut you up or anything, I just couldn't conceive how what was happening was possible.

Sounds like you angered the tablet gods.
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 62

Postby Carpet Monkey » 17 Feb 2013, 13:59

Sorry schwepter, not sure what that would be! Words fine on my tablet, iPhone etc! Cheers, Jam, I'm sure ill get more up to scratch on the commentary soon, it was a bit of a nightmare editing video tracks, 2 audio levels etc.

Really enjoyed the game - it's a shame more people aren't playing it
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Feb 2013, 18:53

Carpet Monkey wrote:Really enjoyed the game - it's a shame more people aren't playing it

PROMISE I will play some more tonight :)

For now though, dinner time.

And don't worry, I know how difficult it is to put those sorts of things together, hence my respectful nod in your direction sir.
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 62

Postby Decent_Jam » 04 Mar 2013, 20:41

Just finished this at the weekend, would thoroughly recommend it. Not sure I'm tempted to replay for collectables etc though.
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 62

Postby msbhvn » 05 Mar 2013, 20:09

I'm very tempted to get this on Steam, after the other two big hack-and-slash games this year were so disappointing. Who knew Platinum would fail twice? There's a couple of good DLC packs, one is even free, so I'm inclined to make a rare (on PC at least) full-price purchase.

The duff story doesn't bother me much, it can't be worse than the nonsensical tripe DMC4 served up, right?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Decent_Jam » 05 Mar 2013, 20:14

msbhvn wrote:The duff story doesn't bother me much, it can't be worse than the nonsensical tripe DMC4 served up, right?

Actually you might be surprised. There is more story and character here than there needs to be. Granted it's not Oscar Gold or anything but hey.
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 62

Postby Carpet Monkey » 06 Mar 2013, 00:26

This was a great surprise for me. Definitely one of my favourite games in the last year or two. In comparison the other hack n slash games, the story is on a par. Pretty inoffensive really. The gameplay and visuals and just to die for though
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby msbhvn » 07 Mar 2013, 22:26

Picked this up at GAME today, for the reward points as it's the same price as on Steam. I'm enjoying it way more than the demo. Dante isn't as annoying and the combat and movement seem to have been tightened up. I'm not sure whether it's the recent patch or playing on PC rather than 360 that makes it feel better to me, but I'm happy.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69