to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Shifting sands: the lost majesty of Prince of Persia

Your comments on our articles.

Ed reflects on a wonderful, sorely missed series

Whenever Assassin's Creed drags its collectable-packed frame over to the bedroom mirror, and mournfully contemplates the sagging, sweaty blob of game types, trivia, plot twists and digital initiatives it has become, I like to think a portrait on the wall behind catches its eye. The portrait of a younger, leaner man with an Aquiline nose, lips that bear the hint of an aristocratic sneer, and eyes that are all roguish twinkle and boyish charm. I like to think Assassin's Creed sighs deeply at this point, assesses its monstrous gut in profile, glances back at the portrait and says to itself: "Look at you. Look at who you used to be."... read more

Shifting sands: the lost majesty of Prince of Persia

Postby PonderingWalrus » 19 Jan 2013, 18:45

I still wish they would release a sequel to the 2008 game.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: Shifting sands: the lost majesty of Prince of Persia

Postby fracturedrich » 19 Jan 2013, 20:08

PonderingWalrus wrote:I still wish they would release a sequel to the 2008 game.

Ime not sure but i thought there was going to be one, and the rumour i heard was that one of the ac revelations devs was going to be involved,but again ime not sure.For me though sands is my fav game of all time,that was for me,all the years of gaming had finally arrived.The 2008 effort just goes to show that power is not everything,I really liked the second one,but it was all downhill from there,i think they should leave the prince in the past and concentrate on new ip
fracturedrich 46

Postby msbhvn » 19 Jan 2013, 20:11

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is one of the all-time classic adventure games. The other two last-gen PoP games were pale imitations. 2008's cel-shaded Prince of Persia was pretty good, except for the almost insulting inability to die. Forgotten Sands was aptly named, because I can't remember a thing about it, other than swinging on frozen water spouts.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby SadCheesecake » 20 Jan 2013, 14:08

I still wish they would bring out Worrier Within and Two Thrones out on 360. Sands of Time is the only last-gen PoP that works on 360, and playing PoP on PSP is a VERY VERY bad idea, I almost rage destroyed my PSP because of the frustrating controls. For a while on the Game website the HD trilogy was available for pre-order for 360, but then they took it down. Does anyone know about it being released? As it is the 10th anniversary this year my fingers are crossed.
SadCheesecake 7

Postby ItchyRash » 21 Jan 2013, 10:51

The 2008 Prince of Persia gets a bum deal. It was great adventure game, good story and looked fantastic. The whole not dying complaint is harsh. Bioshock had Vita chambers that removed the fear of dying and no one seems to have complained about them. Except me actually. But I'm yet to play a game that actually ends when you die. All the 2008 PoP did was remove a reload checkpoint screen and kept the action flowing. It wasn't a great decision by the designers but it wasn't awful or game breaking. And the ending in my opinion is superb. I know some people felt the opposite though. Would love to see a sequel to it.

I missed out on Sands of Time when It came out and really regret it. I remember it getting rave reviews but I just ignored it.
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 15:30

Was it Ubi Singapore that made the Lairs in Brotherhood? Because they looked stunning, more so than most of the rest of the game, and from the first time I played they just felt like a studio desperate to make a PoP game. I'm hoping that their abscence from AC3 hints at them making something bigger.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Warstub » 22 Jan 2013, 13:27

ItchyRash wrote:The 2008 Prince of Persia gets a bum deal. It was great adventure game, good story and looked fantastic. The whole not dying complaint is harsh. [...] All the 2008 PoP did was remove a reload checkpoint screen and kept the action flowing. It wasn't a great decision by the designers but it wasn't awful or game breaking. And the ending in (my opinion is superb. I know some people felt the opposite though. Would love to see a sequel to it.

I absolutely agree with you. People who say things like "not being able to die sucks" is an insult to intelligent gaming (in my very humble opinion). The 'No Death' mechanic was a bold and brave move that literally kept the action moving forward, kept the immersive experience rooted in-game, and, as has been pointed out, eliminated the most frustrating thing of all about games - loading screens! What PoP 2008 offered was the chance to make an absolutely stunning sequel filled with a good plot, story ideas, character development and improvements on combat. And as for the criticisms on combat, yes, I agree the QTEs sucked and were unnecessary, but the single enemy combat is a huge step up from the very unintelligent mass slaughtering of enemies (as fun as that can be sometimes). PoP 2008 had a lot going for it, but Ubisoft through it out the window.

And for the record: I would very much like to be a part of the sequel to this game. I have ideas that develop each character's separate stories, some back-story on the Prince, and how they find Ormazd. And also gameplay ideas that compliment the story ideas.
Warstub 1

Postby TippiestRook99 » 29 Jan 2013, 17:17

Its the Prince of Persia Xbox 360 deserves.But not the one it needs right now.
And that's why my butt hurts - Troy Baker - Men in Black:Alien Crisis

Since having a blog is mainstream these days.Featuring a review of Elder Scrolls Online Virtual Boy.
http://eternalshag78.wordpress.com/
TippiestRook99 55