to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Alien: Colonial Marines "leaves a few dangling threads" for

Your comments on our articles.

"It's actually a broader universe than a lot of people pin it down to"

Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't just a cheery, popcorn-crunching corridor blaster to while away your weekends with - according to cinematic director Brian Burleson, it's a carefully calculated foundation for future sojourns in the Alien universe, Gearbox-led or otherwise.... read more

Alien: Colonial Marines "leaves a few dangling threads" for

Postby SkinnerChinner » 21 Jan 2013, 14:26

I prefer to forget Resurrection ever happened...bastardisation of the franchise & the previous films that it is :roll:

I'm looking forward to playing Colonial Marines however, and wouldn't be oppossed to another game in the same vein as the first three films, I remember reading an OXM article about returning to the films roots as a true survival/horror game - but I hope this talk of an "expanded universe" doesn't mean anymore cross-overs, and with the Prometheus plot & possible sequels I can see just that happening. Although I enjoyed the film it felt all over the place, like Ridley Scott wanted it to be a prequel, but not a preqeul, yet use the high regard of Alien to attract an audience?
SkinnerChinner 35

Re: Alien: Colonial Marines "leaves a few dangling threads"

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 14:28

SkinnerChinner wrote:I prefer to forget Resurrection ever happened...bastardisation of the franchise & the previous films that it is :roll:

I read an interview with Joss Whedon once in which he disavowed it. His reasoning was '...they made me write about a dozen endings for that film. Not one of them included a giant turd baby...'
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:30

CunningSmile wrote:
SkinnerChinner wrote:I prefer to forget Resurrection ever happened...bastardisation of the franchise & the previous films that it is :roll:

I read an interview with Joss Whedon once in which he disavowed it. His reasoning was '...they made me write about a dozen endings for that film. Not one of them included a giant turd baby...'

It had Michael Wincott in too, that guys voice is epic. Really sad he isn't playing Sam Fisher as he would be perfect in age, appearance and voice. Tom Hardy is hardly a disappointment though, might be better.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby msbhvn » 21 Jan 2013, 14:32

Michael Wincott did the voice of Death in Darksiders 2. One of the only decent things in the whole game.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Clanger67 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:32

I suppose Fincher left them a bit limited on where to go after killing Ripley in three though.Think they should have just stuck to the trilogy though.I can't see Ridley ever getting how he wanted to make it after the first one,given Cameron lost Terminator and look what they have done with that since.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Jan 2013, 14:42

There are an *astonishing* number of crap Alien/Aliens films/books/games, given how awesomely awesome the first two films were. I've got a soft spot for Alien 3, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Clanger67 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:49

Some good english talent in three,think Charles S dutton is a good actor as well.Like Fincher as a director as well.Plus isn't that always the case when the suits get involved,let's make some money from this franchise,blah,blah,blah.It certainly wasn't the first or will be the last series to get wrecked by the money men.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 15:11

OXM ETboy wrote:There are an *astonishing* number of crap Alien/Aliens films/books/games, given how awesomely awesome the first two films were. I've got a soft spot for Alien 3, though.

Biggest tragedy is that the first two comic series, that dealt with an adult Newt and alcoholic Hicks with PTSD, were amazing...then Alien 3 killed them both and the series was recalled and is now out of print. Everything since then has been a case of diminished returns.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SkinnerChinner » 21 Jan 2013, 15:22

OXM ETboy wrote:There are an *astonishing* number of crap Alien/Aliens films/books/games, given how awesomely awesome the first two films were. I've got a soft spot for Alien 3, though.

It's a good film (even better with the "Assembly Cut"), but unfortunately the production issues show through.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby SkinnerChinner » 21 Jan 2013, 15:34

CunningSmile wrote:Biggest tragedy is that the first two comic series, that dealt with an adult Newt and alcoholic Hicks with PTSD, were amazing...then Alien 3 killed them both and the series was recalled and is now out of print. Everything since then has been a case of diminished returns.

Strangely, theres a full draft script on the internets that has Newt & Hicks survive, with Hicks as the main character. Was pretty much a re-hash of Aliens with a little Cold War & Resi T-Virus thrown in, worth a read.

Some of the original concepts for Alien 3 sounded great, one had Ripley crash on a 'monk inhabited, wooden monastry planet' (think Death Star without the "fully armed & operational" part :lol: ) with her tripping out 'coz she was 'preggers' with the Alien Queen, whilst another picked off the monks. Bits & pieces from that script found their way into Fincher's.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 15:46

SkinnerChinner wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Biggest tragedy is that the first two comic series, that dealt with an adult Newt and alcoholic Hicks with PTSD, were amazing...then Alien 3 killed them both and the series was recalled and is now out of print. Everything since then has been a case of diminished returns.

Strangely, theres a full draft script on the internets that has Newt & Hicks survive, with Hicks as the main character. Was pretty much a re-hash of Aliens with a little Cold War & Resi T-Virus thrown in, worth a read.

Some of the original concepts for Alien 3 sounded great, one had Ripley crash on a 'monk inhabited, wooden monastry planet' (think Death Star without the "fully armed & operational" part :lol: ) with her tripping out 'coz she was 'preggers' with the Alien Queen, whilst another picked off the monks. Bits & pieces from that script found their way into Fincher's.

I've read some really odd scripts for Alien 3, probably because it went through so many changes, and I know Weaver was really throwing her weight around with a list of demands. The comics I mentioned, which came out between Aliens and 3, revolved around Newt and Hicks having woken up on Earth to find Ripley gone. Skip forward ten years and Newt has major rejection issues as a result of losing both her family and Ripley, and is now in an asylum and Hicks an angry alcoholic in constant pain from the acid burns. Just the people you want to send on a mission to what you think is the Aliens home planet. They dealt with a lot of the Space Jockey stuff and Aliens reaching Earth that Prometheus and Resurrection cover and are worth tracking down.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SkinnerChinner » 21 Jan 2013, 15:58

CunningSmile wrote: I've read some really odd scripts for Alien 3, probably because it went through so many changes, and I know Weaver was really throwing her weight around with a list of demands. The comics I mentioned, which came out between Aliens and 3, revolved around Newt and Hicks having woken up on Earth to find Ripley gone. Skip forward ten years and Newt has major rejection issues as a result of losing both her family and Ripley, and is now in an asylum and Hicks an angry alcoholic in constant pain from the acid burns. Just the people you want to send on a mission to what you think is the Aliens home planet. They dealt with a lot of the Space Jockey stuff and Aliens reaching Earth that Prometheus and Resurrection cover and are worth tracking down.

Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind having a read through those :)
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jan 2013, 16:40

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Book-1-M ... 718&sr=8-1

Should be the first one. Failing that try

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Outbreak ... 651&sr=8-1

Which is the first one, sort of. It's actually a reprint in which they changed the names Newt and Hicks to Billie and Wilks so I have no idea if the Ripley part of the story still makes sense.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Jan 2013, 16:43

SkinnerChinner wrote:

That was a pure balls idea (balls in this case being bad.) with the wooden space station. Noahs bloody ark in space, only the leopards eat people. And all the animals are people too....and not much like Noahs Ark. There may be hookers though if Bezza likes. And Bacon.

I really liked 3, the different version with the Alien coming out the bull was also quite good but a bit rough in places. It did explain a lot more. 4 was even bigger balls than the wooden spacemonkshipstation. Nice enough concept and would have been decent if only the space baby wasn't there. Pretty sure I saw it on an episode of the Muppets.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby SkinnerChinner » 21 Jan 2013, 17:29

FishyGinger wrote: That was a pure balls idea (balls in this case being bad.) with the wooden space station

Admittedly an entire space-worthy station constructed soley from wood is a tad far-fetched, with the "Space Amish" monks, but the idea of the characters being unprepared once again appealed (i.e. hardly anything of value as a weapon). I guess the "wooden" thing was that version's unique spin on the story. Seems a lot of the that script was adapted to be less 'wacky' for the final draft, old prison colony = wooden station, religious convicts = 'Space Amish', burning the Alien out, Ripley's suicide etc... into a worthy conclusion. Wouldn't have called it pure balls however, at least not as pure balls as 'convenient cloning after jumping into a lead furnace' :lol:
SkinnerChinner 35

Next