to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Visceral: Dead Space 3's controversial elements let us "crea

Your comments on our articles.

Ice planet and co-op don't soften the tone, producer insists

Up for one more bang on the "is Dead Space scary enough" drum? Speaking to OXM at a preview event last week, associate producer Yara Khoury has outlined how certain of the game's less anticipated features actually compliment and advance the existing Dead Space formula. In brief: (1) just because you're out of doors doesn't mean you can see everything coming, and (2) the co-op is "asymmetrical" in terms of more than just your weapons and gear.... read more

Visceral: Dead Space 3's controversial elements let us "crea

Postby bamozzy » 22 Jan 2013, 12:33

I think the 'Horror' will be the Fans Reaction to the lack of Tension, Atmosphere and Horror that the series once delivered.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 61

Re: Visceral: Dead Space 3's controversial elements let us "

Postby Baryonyx » 22 Jan 2013, 13:06

I'm holding my breath and hoping this won't turn out to be rubbish, as Dead Space has never let me down in the past. But even now, many months after the co-op element was announced, it still sounds abhorrent to me. It did nothing for Resident Evil 5...
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 36

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jan 2013, 13:18

So one player is going to experience some things - he's going to have visions. The other player is not going to see them, and players are going to interact with each other, you know - "What's going on? What the hell?" Isaac is not going to see the same things Carver does, he's going to be like, you know, completely confused about what's going on, and that's how also we've furthered horror in Dead Space 3."

I can imagine this working much better if you didn't tell us in advance! As it is it's gone from a nice idea designed to disorientate you (a la the'crash' in Arkham Asylum) to something player 1 can enjoy while player 2 sits around bored waiting for his mate to stop talking about how it's so much more fun being Isaac than Carver.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Mendes » 22 Jan 2013, 13:44

I think you should have combined your two Dead Space articles and titled it thusly :

Visceral: Dead Space 3's controversial elements let us "create new kinds of horror" like micro-transactions - pay real money to unlock advanced weapons so you get all the kills before your co-op partner.

My reservations for things like micro-transactions and co-op in what I believe should remain a single player game aside, I'm sure the game will be a good, polished romp. The sounds design alone on the first two games is kind of worth the ticket price, although saying that, if they want me to buy the weapons packs I'll wait till I can buy the game of Play for £17.99 a month or so after release.
Mendes 34

Postby Droidsbane » 22 Jan 2013, 15:11

I dont know i watched a few playthroughs of the demo from GameGrumps and Angry Joe, the Co-op defenitley lessens the effect of scares....
Droidsbane 33

Postby Sandbwoy » 22 Jan 2013, 20:42

New kinds of horror? Hmm, I'm intrigued
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Jan 2013, 19:43

so basically 'unless you play in coop you're missing out half the scares and interesting content'

Also I hope the game has scaling, coop games where the dificulty punishes you for playing on your own really suck
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67