to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Vigil left for dead at THQ auction: Darksiders 3 and "Crawle

Your comments on our articles.

"Four-player co-op: it rode off into the sunset today."

Yesterday and last night, publishers engaged in a bidding war for the studios, IP and assets of sadly fallen THQ, which filed for bankruptcy in December.... read more

Vigil left for dead at THQ auction: Darksiders 3 and "Crawle

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jan 2013, 11:23

Feel really bad for Vigil. As you say Ed, Darksiders wasn't Earth Shattering but it was certainly good enough that someone should have been interested.

Really glad Metro got picked up though. 2033 was one of GOTY when it released and Last Light is on my top five list for this year.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Vigil left for dead at THQ auction: Darksiders 3 and "Cr

Postby OXM ETboy » 24 Jan 2013, 11:33

I'd hope individual staffers would find jobs elsewhere fairly easily. They're a talented bunch.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 24 Jan 2013, 11:36

Darksiders is a great franchise that deserves to be bought, sure the 2nd game didnt add anything to the story of the 1st and the combat wasnt exactly challenging. But the art style is fantastic and they are thoroughly enjoyable games.
I would love Platinum Games to pick it up, think they could really add that extra something to the combat and make Darksiders a real contender.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby Alaric14 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:03

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Darksiders is a great franchise that deserves to be bought, sure the 2nd game didnt add anything to the story of the 1st and the combat wasnt exactly challenging. But the art style is fantastic and they are thoroughly enjoyable games.

I would love Platinum Games to pick it up, think they could really add that extra something to the combat and make Darksiders a real contender.

Good man, you've written my comment for me. :D
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby msbhvn » 24 Jan 2013, 13:28

Darksiders 2 was the most disappointing game I've played in a long time. Buggy, mediocre and the DLC was short and worthless. The story, which consisted of a succession of people who want you to do/get/kill three things before you can progress, made absolutely no attempt to expand on the first game. The last two worlds in the game were almost completely empty, making the player feel as if the devs couldn't be arsed finishing it properly. On the bright side, it made me put the ME3 ending in perspective. :lol:

Platinum could definitely teach Vigil a thing or a hundred about exciting combat and Vigil could give them a story that's at least coherent, which isn't Platinum's forte. It would be a win-win.

On the subject of Saints Row, who the hell are Koch Media? I would have thought EA would have snapped up Saints Row, as they don't have a competitor for GTA.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Droidsbane » 24 Jan 2013, 13:30

sad many people lost their jobs. and hopefully Platinum picks up the Darksiders franchise and developer, I liked DS1 and was considering getting 2 this month, just might have to that, apparently there was an idea for the 5th game in the series to have 4 player co-op.
Droidsbane 33

Postby Plamsa wing » 24 Jan 2013, 13:33

Now theres a man who's passionate about his job, you've got to respect that. Hopefully everything works out for the better for them.

If Platinum Games work out a deal with them, and the next Darksiders becomes a Wiii U exclusive, I will buy blender, and personally gather everyone involved, blend their balls, still attached and make them drink the resulting slush one by one.

Until then It'll be missed though, even if Darksiders 2 wasn't as good as the first, I still quite liked it.

msbhvn wrote:On the subject of Saints Row, who the hell are Koch Media? I would have thought EA would have snapped up Saints Row, as they don't have a competitor for GTA.

The guys who published Dead Island, I think.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jan 2013, 14:29

Koch Media:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media

As Plamsa says they published Dead Island, developed through their subsiduary Deep Silver, as well as the Risen and Sacred series and a host of lack luster DS games under the "Let's Play" brand.

They certainly seem to have a fair amount of muscle, but nothing on their back catalogue grabs me as a reassurance that Metro and Saints Row are in safe hands.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby danhalen74 » 24 Jan 2013, 16:51

i loved both Darksiders games, mainly because of Joe Mads designs and i played them both to death, the 2nd one definately could have been tighter but still very enjoyable up to a point. shame about vigil, there was some nice ideas in those games. maybe someone will pick it up and give us a DSIII worth the effort in keeping it alive...
danhalen74 44

Postby EdDeRs1 » 24 Jan 2013, 18:38

any news on whats happening with Saints Row? weren't they supposed to be working on squeal?
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Jan 2013, 19:08

EdDeRs1 wrote:any news on whats happening with Saints Row? weren't they supposed to be working on squeal?

A little piggy?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Droidsbane » 24 Jan 2013, 21:35

THQs selling off their backcatalogue of games next week,
which include Red Faction and Destroy All Humans! (used to play the heck out of DAH 1+2 on the PS2) hope they go to developers who can do the franchises justice.
Droidsbane 33