Books!!!

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

Books!!!

Postby golliwoza » 29 Jan 2013, 11:37

Hello, I had a quick browse through the off topic forum and I could not find a section on all our favourite books, graphic novels or comics. So I thought of creating a thread where we could share our favourite pieces of paper, what books we were planning to buy or any great book recommendations for other forumers.

Recently got back into graphic novels and comics again myself and I also purchased a copy of Batman Hush complete, I am planning on building up a bit of a comic collection again seeing as I have next to no books left in the house which are probably worth reading.

So what are you all reading?
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Re: Books!!!

Postby KernowDevil23 » 29 Jan 2013, 11:51

"Collins Easy Learning Italian Grammar" - Kindle Edition

Counts as a book right?? :oops:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Clanger67 » 29 Jan 2013, 11:56

Not reading anything faithfully at the min. too many games to play,lol.The last one i was reading and have to finish it only being half way through is Seven Troop by Andy Mcnab,the true story of his SAS group.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Jan 2013, 12:03

I'm currently reading my friends book which is really good if you like urban fantasy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimes-Against- ... 214&sr=1-1

Also part way through Bioshock: Rapture, the prequel to the first game which is also surprisingly good.

On the comic front last year I signed up to one of those monthly partworks "complete in 60 volumes" things and as a result I get sent two Marvel graphics every month, so I've been reading (or re-reading) a lot of the highlights thanks to those.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Jan 2013, 12:09

Finding it impossible to get any time to read at the minute, but partways through Metro 2033, then will move onto Rapture (got them at the same time awhile back). Also going into town this weekend, might get myself the predator omnibus 3 as they don't have 1 or 2.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby golliwoza » 29 Jan 2013, 12:13

KernowDevil23 wrote:"Collins Easy Learning Italian Grammar" - Kindle Edition

How is Italian, easy or hard? The only languages I have ever learned was German and a bit of Chinese I sucked bad at those, I only remember snippets.

Haha Clanger I think we all have a bit of a backlog, I think I have Seven Troop hanging around here somewhere too.

How were the Marvel graphics Cunning? Did they cover a spread of different characters or just go about one character and a few others? I never heard that there were any Bioshock books but I would love to read the prequal.

Postman just arrived with Hush too, I will give it a bit of a read tonight. :D
golliwoza 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 29 Jan 2013, 12:25

golliwoza wrote:
KernowDevil23 wrote:"Collins Easy Learning Italian Grammar" - Kindle Edition

How is Italian, easy or hard? The only languages I have ever learned was German and a bit of Chinese I sucked bad at those, I only remember snippets.

I'm finding it relatively easy going at the moment but I'm in the very early stages of learning simple vocabulary. Stringing it all together to create legible sentences may prove to be trickier though!

I've always had a deep rooted passion for everything Italian though. The food, the culture, the language, the history. I think learning a language you really want to learn helps with your personal progress.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Jan 2013, 12:26

The Marvel partworks is really good. I've been a comic fan since I was wee, but I'm still getting stuff I've heard of but never read and really enjoying them. There is an obvious emphasis on grabbing new readers who have seen a film and want to catch up, with a lot of the titles being the post 2000 relaunches of Iron Man, Thor etc. but there is a good range of the high points from the '70 and '80s.

As for the graphics printed by Marvel themselves, take your pick. Since Disney took over almost everything ever printed can be located somewhere with a bit of hunting, so if you have a favorite character you can normally read at least the major mile stones.

DC are also pretty good, but do have an annoying tendency to let things go out of print after a few years. If you enjoy Hush try Under The Red Hood, it's one of my favorites, and in fact the writer (Judd Winick) rarely puts a foot wrong no matter what he writes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Under-Re ... 564&sr=1-8

For something a little less main stream try Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. The guy is a genius, and this is his masterpiece about a journalist trying to fight corruption in a future version of New York

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmetropolit ... 737&sr=1-1
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 29 Jan 2013, 12:29

Have been going through all the Pratchett works recently. I'm on Reaper Man and Witches Abroad at the moment, but haven't read much this last month. Once I'm done with those, though, I'm putting Pratchett aside briefly to read World War Z after a chummy got it for me for my spawn day.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Jan 2013, 12:51

Grummy wrote:Have been going through all the Pratchett works recently. I'm on Reaper Man and Witches Abroad at the moment, but haven't read much this last month. Once I'm done with those, though, I'm putting Pratchett aside briefly to read World War Z after a chummy got it for me for my spawn day.

I have his first 3 discworld ones on audio tape as I used to have a 1 hour drive each way to work, it's difficult understanding who's doing what with all the names, only one person reading and overtaking bloody lorries.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Plamsa wing » 29 Jan 2013, 14:01

Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight, Snuff and The Compleat Ankh-Morpork I got for Christmas (it comes a big map, and I mean big, think horses **** big), not going well, I've become a slow reader lately, wherein I can only do ten pages an hour. :oops:

Currently only reading at work like though, can never be arsed at home for some reason. Next up is Rapture (Bioshock), and the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle graphic novels :D , that are on way from Amazon.

I'm in the mood for something sci-fi though.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby golliwoza » 29 Jan 2013, 14:09

Plamsa wing wrote:Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight, Snuff and The Compleat Ankh-Morpork I got for Christmas (it comes a big map, and I mean big, think horses **** big), not going well, I've become a slow reader lately, wherein I can only do ten pages an hour. :oops:

Currently only reading at work like though, can never be arsed at home for some reason. Next up is Rapture (Bioshock), and the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle graphic novels :D , that are on way from Amazon.

I'm in the mood for something sci-fi though.

I have a couple of TMNT graphic novels hanging around here from the 1980's they were pretty dam good, which ones have you gone for?
golliwoza 56

Postby Grummy » 29 Jan 2013, 14:09

Definitely read Snuff when you get a chance, it is possibly my favourite of his works. It's a City Watch story, Particularly a Sam Vimes story, and it has very little humour in it, it's a more serious DW novel and it is utterly fantastic. I think Pratchett's turn from satire to serious has taken too long personally. I wish he'd taken the full turn a lot sooner. As much as I enjoy his humour, as with any good book/series, it's the characters and stories that win me over, and they have better stories with more serious writing.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Jan 2013, 14:23

Grummy wrote:Definitely read Snuff when you get a chance, it is possibly my favourite of his works. It's a City Watch story, Particularly a Sam Vimes story, and it has very little humour in it, it's a more serious DW novel and it is utterly fantastic. I think Pratchett's turn from satire to serious has taken too long personally. I wish he'd taken the full turn a lot sooner. As much as I enjoy his humour, as with any good book/series, it's the characters and stories that win me over, and they have better stories with more serious writing.

Counter point: I found Snuff his least enjoyable. The characters were "off" somehow, even so far as to be out of character, the humour is seriously lacking and I thought the plot was too slow to get going and too preachy when it did. I'll even go so far as to wonder if it was ghost written given his much publicised fight with alzheimers since so much of it felt wrong.

However I Shall Wear Midnight was a good book. I've always admired the fact that when Sir Terry writes children's fiction he never dumbs it down, it's the same stuff just in a shorter package.
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 29 Jan 2013, 14:27

golliwoza wrote:I have a couple of TMNT graphic novels hanging around here from the 1980's they were pretty dam good, which ones have you gone for?

Volume one and two so far.

They do have the ultimate collection books, but at £30 a piece they'll have to wait right now, that's PC money.

Grummy wrote:Definitely read Snuff when you get a chance, it is possibly my favourite of his works. It's a City Watch story, Particularly a Sam Vimes story, and it has very little humour in it, it's a more serious DW novel and it is utterly fantastic. I think Pratchett's turn from satire to serious has taken too long personally. I wish he'd taken the full turn a lot sooner. As much as I enjoy his humour, as with any good book/series, it's the characters and stories that win me over, and they have better stories with more serious writing.

Nearly finished the other one, got about 78 pages left, I'll likely start reading it next monday. My dad read it last year and said it was quite good, took him 4 days to read it. He's 67 - 68 and reads faster than me, *******. :x
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Next