to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The prophesied "death" of Xbox Live Indie - developers respo

Your comments on our articles.

"I'm not even annoyed. It's disappointment."

This week, Microsoft let slip that the freely available XNA Game Studio software - the technology behind such delightful games as Fez, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Bastion - is "no longer in active development". That's to say, there are "no plans for future versions of the XNA product", though the publisher will continue to support existing versions across Xbox 360, Windows and Windows Phone.... read more

The prophesied "death" of Xbox Live Indie - developers respo

Postby senote » 01 Feb 2013, 19:46

Is it just me that feels Microsoft have some kind of weird love/hate relationship with most developers, customers and the world in general? It almost seems like they're making the same mistakes Sony made at the start of this generation. Sony came off the back of the PS2, a massive worldwide success, and into PS3 a massive worldwide 'meh' purely by thinking the Playstation brand would be enough, it wasn't, and if Microsoft aren't careful they will make the same mistake.
senote 24

Re: The prophesied "death" of Xbox Live Indie - developers r

Postby kevicus12 » 01 Feb 2013, 23:00

Shame. XNA harked back to the era of the bedroom-coder. Imagine if David Braben were of this coding generation, trying to get Elite off the ground and MS suddenly pulled the plug.

PS - No comments about current Kickstarter-funded Elite sequels, please, it's only an example.
kevicus12 22

Postby LuRcH18489 » 03 Feb 2013, 04:38

pfft all im gonna miss is flicking through the indie games section of the dash and laughing at the stupid titles of all the games, good riddance to pointless rubbish. you will soon be forgotten.
LuRcH18489 31

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Feb 2013, 13:13

LuRcH18489 wrote:pfft all im gonna miss is flicking through the indie games section of the dash and laughing at the stupid titles of all the games, good riddance to pointless rubbish. you will soon be forgotten.

You need to look harder and not be so easily put off by the bad stuff. There are some truly excellent games available on the Indie games section. I've spent a lot of time playing classics like Dead Pixels, Apple Jack 1 & 2 as well as lesser known titles like Shoot-1-Up. There's a lot of good talent there. Not just all dating sims and vibrating massagers.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby Darth Mousemat » 05 Feb 2013, 22:16

Hidden in Plain Sight is definitely worth a look at. Local 4 player only though but it kept me and my friends entertained for hours.
Darth Mousemat 23