to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Back to the future: five classic IPs they should resurrect f

Your comments on our articles.

Next gen hardware approaches. Time for a trip down memory lane.

The coming of next generation consoles is almost certainly going to kill off a number of today's sicklier series, and the below list of franchises and subfranchises I'd like publishers to bring back is thus almost entirely born of crippling denial. But a man can dream, particularly when he's working over the weekend. Add your own willfully unrealistic next gen revival proposals in the comments.... read more

Back to the future: five classic IPs they should resurrect f

Postby Dobs » 03 Feb 2013, 15:49

This may betray my age, but I'd like to see a 720 return to the original Castle Wolfenstein, a PC game to which I dedicated many harrowing hours as a kid, stealthily planting an activated time bomb next to the meeting chamber of Adolph Hitler. That grand premise and the epic peril of such a mission, set within a Nazi patrolled fortress, provided more suspense than most shmups today ever could. It's one thing to run around killing faceless Nazis or generic soldiers, using automatic weapons and supernatural powers, quite another to go alone after Hitler himself, with only your wits and a revolver.
Dobs 8

Re: Back to the future: five classic IPs they should resurre

Postby OXM ETboy » 03 Feb 2013, 16:01

I've got a feeling you might like Metro 2033, Dobs - it's another linear shooter with the odd irritating survive-endless-waves sequence, but there are more open areas where you can choose a playstyle, the world is brilliantly detailed (if stupidly accented) and the weapons/gadgets are all broken in an appealing, authentic kind of way. There's a pneumatic sniper rifle you have to hand-crank, for instance.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Feb 2013, 16:13

Aside from Condemned which I've not played, I agree with all the games on this list, it's not very often that happens I tell you.

Republic Commando ended on bit of a cliff hanger from what I can remember. I would rather another Battlefront first though. :wink:

Wouldn't mind another KotR either, not some piss poor MMORPG.

As I've mentioned before, I'd bloody love a Viva Pinata that used the Kinect, done right mind. It has alot of potential on those types of genres, just hope they realise that sooner, rather than later. Don't agree with the use of micro-transactions, really don't like the sound of them when used on a fully paid game.

Shame on you Ed for suggesting that.

I'd like another Kameo and Banjo Kazooie too.

Edit: Missed Conker and Jade Empire at the bottom there, still waiting for an XBLA Conker, probably never happen but I hope it does. With EA in tow, I'm not sure I'd like another Jade Empire. We'll see how good Dragon Age 3 is first though.
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Grummy » 03 Feb 2013, 16:29

Hell yes Viva Pinata and Crackdown. HELL YES.

I'd also like some new Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, a new Killer Instinct and though it will never happen, a new Dungeon Keeper. As a super outside shout, how about a new Dizzy game?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby ChillieBonBon » 03 Feb 2013, 16:43

Another Turok might be welcome because they could actually make it good this time. Also, a remake of Halo 2 as they would be able to do what they did with combat evolved.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby Clanger67 » 03 Feb 2013, 16:43

Yeah def. another Condemned one of my fave games on the 360.Don't make it like two though,which probably means starting again with a new character etc.Certainly a very atmospheric game and sets itself apart quite a bit from anything else without loads of endless shooting.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Metalrodent » 03 Feb 2013, 17:27

Agreed about Star Wars Republic Commando, the first was a great dark (and suprisingly nasty) shooter with actual working squad mechanics and genuinly fun gunplay. Battlefront 3 would be great also, especially seeing as how they'd completed so much when it got cancelled.
ChillieBonBon wrote:Also, a remake of Halo 2 as they would be able to do what they did with combat evolved.

Yeah that would be good, Aniversary was good and I still have a soft spot for Halo 2, being my first and having the dual stories campaign mode. (and the New Mobassa levels would look so epic in HD)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby jimbosolo » 03 Feb 2013, 17:33

Halo 2 has already been remade for PC, and with achievements and support for x360 controller :)
jimbosolo 14

Postby Tom Friedlander » 03 Feb 2013, 17:53

Why isn't a Call of Duty 4 remake on the list? I'll pretend that it disappeared somehow.
Tom Friedlander 16

Postby Xbox11 » 03 Feb 2013, 18:27

Crackdown 3 ? Without a doubt could be an amazing game , I really think its unlikely it will ever happen , The original devs are no longer with us , And the ones who made that awful sequel shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the game. Also as for KOTOR 3 I would give my right hand for , It wasn't mentioned in the article but somebody said about it and i agree :wink:
Xbox11 29

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Feb 2013, 18:27

Battlefront 3. KotoR. You've shat on my dreams of this by reminding me there's 3 new films, which means instead we'll get tie-ins, which are always rubbish.

Half Life 3 would be nice, might shake up the FPS scene, which is always good.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby Eviltiger » 03 Feb 2013, 18:51

You want to resurrect the great for the 720? How about....

Stubs the zombie. Just great fun game not many games allow you to create your own army of zombies.

Bards Tale. A decent RPG about coin cleavage and cleavage....Enough said. I loved having my summoners solve the puzzles for me and the narration was spot on.

Theme Hospital - How much fun would it be to cure bloaty head syndrome again in HD. You could do so much more with this game now. New disease, operations and game play.

Zoo Tycoon 3 - My quilty wee pleasure ok not officially an xbox title but it is something i have been waiting for for years. Imagine all the money they can make with dlc? Endangered species dlc, marine life dlc, etc (BIG HINT MICROSOFT)

Overlord - like pikman but for adults....well at least thats what I tell myself.

Dungeon keeper- I know not an xbox but why the hell not. Its been almost 20 years now. Revival is required.

Vampie: Masquerade - a truly dark rpg none of this twilight rubbish

And many more to be added to my list
Eviltiger 5

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Feb 2013, 18:54

Grummy wrote:I'd also like some new Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, a new Killer Instinct and though it will never happen, a new Dungeon Keeper.

Oooh you sexy beasts... the games not you Grummy. :wink:

Speaking of IPs, I smell a Prey 2 announcement coming up soon:

http://www.aliennoire.com/

Also looking through the source code, the words "Tommy needs your help" near the bottom is pointing towards something Prey related anyway. :D
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby msbhvn » 03 Feb 2013, 19:54

Ever since I first played Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I've been wanting a Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver reboot in the same vein. Silicon Knights' recent legal woes might lead to Crystal Dynamics buying the rights that SK hold and becoming the sole owners of the Legacy of Kain series.

I've been replaying the LoK series since Soul Reaver 1, 2 and Defiance were released on Steam and the plot became quite tortured by the end. Starting again with a clearer vision and better gameplay, possibly hiring some of the former Vigil Games employees, would help. You can't deny how much Darksiders 2 felt like a Soul Reaver game, it's just a shame the story was barely there.

I'm very vocal about my dislike for and disappointment in Condemned 2, after the first game being so fantastic, but I'd love to see something similar. It's a shame all the established horror franchises have been watered down this gen, because there's nothing like the uneasy feeling of exploring an abandoned department store full of psychos dressed as mannequins with nothing but a plank of wood for protection.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby kevicus12 » 03 Feb 2013, 21:00

A massive YES to Crackdown. Loved the original, but the sequel seemed to miss the point entirely. Based on this article, I might just go hunt down a copy of Condemned as it sounds like my sort of game.

Also, Eviltiger mentioned Vampire: Masquerade - I LOVED that game!
kevicus12 22

Next