to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but "it

Your comments on our articles.

Ooh Matron, etc

If you've ever spent an unproductive half-hour banging on about how awesome Assassin's Creed would be, given the ability to invade another player's campaign world, you probably won't be all that chuffed to hear that such a feature once existed.... read more

Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but "it

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Feb 2013, 13:32

Sounds good? Sounds terrible, if there's one thing rubbish about AC3 it's the setting. There are a lot of other little bits that annoy too but the major one is spending time in a place that is boring with a main character who is annoying to hell (which would probably link to the gta debate in the forum).

It sounds like the watch dogs thing, they couldn't do it in the ac universe, let's put it in watch dogs and have people joining in who might help or hinder. I think it's time to leave AC behind after a game about dealing with the ending just so they can put the resources into a new concept - whilst all the AC games have done something worth playing let's play something new, or a lot less frequent.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6884
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby SilentDark » 04 Feb 2013, 15:56

"Before we knew about the Desmond story and Animus link, we had a huge co-op component in there,"

So they started development of the game before learning the story and background of the franchise?

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Besides isn't the point of a game where you play as an assassin that you work alone?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62
 
Posts: 2107
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Feb 2013, 15:59

SilentDark wrote:
Besides isn't the point of a game where you play as an assassin that you work alone?


Bonnie and Clyde didn't work alone. Thelma and Louise didn't work alone. And they were the best

I agree though, bit strange they just seemed to making 'a game' without knowing what they were doing.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Feb 2013, 16:05

It was originally started as a Prince of Persia spin off set entirely in the past. Then it became a standalone game set in the crusades and only after all that did they come up with the Animus and Desmond.

Then they sacked the writer and deleted his PC files and no one has a clue what the over all storyline was originally intended to be. All the stuff on the wall at the end of AC1? Your guess is as valid as the writers of AC2 because they were guessing as well.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9337
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Feb 2013, 16:44

CunningSmile wrote:Then they sacked the writer and deleted his PC files and no one has a clue what the over all storyline was originally intended to be. All the stuff on the wall at the end of AC1? Your guess is as valid as the writers of AC2 because they were guessing as well.


That sounds like BS, as if they wouldn't phone him up (or her) and say what was it again? Turns out he's actually Keyser Sochez played by Bruce Willis?

Unless the writer was murdered and they wrote that into it.

Either that or the writer is an egotistical twap. Or UBIsoft, but that's what the people who route for the little guy want, I'm going left-field, under the box, outside the corkscrew - the writer was high when he wrote it. What's it mean, Jim? Oh I can't tell you until you renew my contract! Oh well you're fired and you smell like meth! We're going to wipe your computer for no apparent reason, it's not as if you would keep stuff you'd wrote on something you'd use, we wont check it either. Bye!

True story.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6884
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Feb 2013, 10:52

Bezza89 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Then they sacked the writer and deleted his PC files and no one has a clue what the over all storyline was originally intended to be. All the stuff on the wall at the end of AC1? Your guess is as valid as the writers of AC2 because they were guessing as well.


That sounds like BS, as if they wouldn't phone him up (or her) and say what was it again? Turns out he's actually Keyser Sochez played by Bruce Willis?

Unless the writer was murdered and they wrote that into it.

Either that or the writer is an egotistical twap. Or UBIsoft, but that's what the people who route for the little guy want, I'm going left-field, under the box, outside the corkscrew - the writer was high when he wrote it. What's it mean, Jim? Oh I can't tell you until you renew my contract! Oh well you're fired and you smell like meth! We're going to wipe your computer for no apparent reason, it's not as if you would keep stuff you'd wrote on something you'd use, we wont check it either. Bye!

True story.


There was an interview in Xbox World when AC2 was released in which the writer of that game admitted that they had no idea what the AC1 plot threads meant. If it's BS it's BS that Ubi themselves started.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9337
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby thewrongtrousers » 05 Feb 2013, 13:27

FishyGinger wrote:
SilentDark wrote:
Besides isn't the point of a game where you play as an assassin that you work alone?


Bonnie and Clyde didn't work alone. Thelma and Louise didn't work alone. And they were the best



Huh!!! They were the best assassins??? :o You do know what an assassin is right?
thewrongtrousers 28
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 31 Mar 2009, 11:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby SilentDark » 05 Feb 2013, 14:17

FishyGinger wrote:
SilentDark wrote:
Besides isn't the point of a game where you play as an assassin that you work alone?


Bonnie and Clyde didn't work alone. Thelma and Louise didn't work alone. And they were the best


Bonnie and Clyde were psychotic criminals, Thelma and Louise were psychotic lesbian misandrists, Agent 47 is an assassin, and he works alone, although if said assassins were generally snipers then they might have a partner to act as a spotter but in general hired assassins should work alone, because nobody wants to split a paycheck.

Sorry, that did sound suspiciously like I was ranting but I'm just very pedantic.

Back on track you'd think somebody at Ubisoft HQ could have told these guys "So you're work on an assassins creed game 'kay." or that somebody on the development staff could have, I don't know, looked up the series on wikipedia or something.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62
 
Posts: 2107
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Feb 2013, 23:03

CunningSmile wrote:
There was an interview in Xbox World when AC2 was released in which the writer of that game admitted that they had no idea what the AC1 plot threads meant. If it's BS it's BS that Ubi themselves started.


Yeah, I'd agree, the writer didn't have a clue where the story was going, I can 99% guarantee the original writer if he existed or left didn't have a clue either, they make it up as they go, look at lost. They put in great twists but instead of taking them to logical in lore conclusions and making even better conpsiracies or plot lines from them they make them into magic, though the vision left by a bleeding effect is great I thought.

Look at ME3, Drew Karpyshyn left as lead writer halfway through ME2, but added a lot of foreshadowing elements that he normally follows up on, the geth missions dying star for instance - it was never explained, the floating metal orb things are never explained, they don't need to be (it would be awesome if they were) they are just plot threads put in to be sorted out later, but people forget/don't want to ruin another persons direction. So in summary, it is common practice to write something as a cliffhanger sort of thing (to be sorted out later rather than in the same game) and sort out later, I just said that in my brackets too.
It's all in the game...
User avatar
Bezza89 65
 
Posts: 6884
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Assassin's Creed once had "huge" drop-in co-op mode, but

Postby Plamsa wing » 05 Feb 2013, 23:49

Bezza89 wrote:Yeah, I'd agree, the writer didn't have a clue where the story was going, I can 99% guarantee the original writer if he existed or left didn't have a clue either, they make it up as they go, look at lost. They put in great twists but instead of taking them to logical in lore conclusions and making even better conpsiracies or plot lines from them they make them into magic, though the vision left by a bleeding effect is great I thought.

Look at ME3, Drew Karpyshyn left as lead writer halfway through ME2, but added a lot of foreshadowing elements that he normally follows up on, the geth missions dying star for instance - it was never explained, the floating metal orb things are never explained, they don't need to be (it would be awesome if they were) they are just plot threads put in to be sorted out later, but people forget/don't want to ruin another persons direction. So in summary, it is common practice to write something as a cliffhanger sort of thing (to be sorted out later rather than in the same game) and sort out later, I just said that in my brackets too.


Oh don't you mention Lost! They should have stopped at series 2, before the damage was done.

That whole dark matter sub-plot in Tali's mission was supposed to be tied into the ending of ME3, until we got... well whatever it was we got.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
User avatar
Plamsa wing 54
 
Posts: 2855
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 13:59


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Metalrodent, The Megatron and 6 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]