to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Space 3

Your comments on our articles.

Visceral's corpse-butchering series goes planetside and survives, just

Let's begin by putting a few of Dead Space 3's nastier pre-release demons to rest. That cover system everybody threw their Plasma Cutters out of the pram about last year? It's barely a system at all - a mere afterthought, designed to streamline a handful of human-on-human shoot-outs which swallow up around half-an-hour in total. The implementation's also unobtrusive to the point of unnoticeable - simply crouch while nudging up against an object, and you'll pop your head over it when you aim. Long story short, Dead Space is still distinguishable at a glance from Gears of War.... read more

Dead Space 3

Postby Rewave Acid » 05 Feb 2013, 15:20

Can't even express my disappointment. I was annoyed enough by Bioware's unnecessary barbie doll Ashley in ME3, and now Ellie's been turned into some kind of objectified pin-up too? It's as though EA think all we want is to masturbate intensely to their games. No handle on the market, unbelievably disappointed with how this game's turned out, will not be buying despite loving 1 & 2. All I needed to see was 'Abysmal Plot' frankly- do developers not realise how important a good story is?!

Just another studio whose hand was forced by their bullshit publisher and their demands, but they will be the ones taking the flack and threatened with closure if this doesn't do well. Sickening.
Rewave Acid 30

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 15:23

This picture kind of says it all where Ellie's concerned. Hardly a space-worthy choice of top, right?

http://cdn.medialib.oxm.co.uk/promo/promo_1757.jpg
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Dead Space 3

Postby ItchyRash » 05 Feb 2013, 15:27

Seems like a very fair review. Thanks guys. Disappointed that I won't get the full experience without playing co-op. How much time do these co-op only missions take up and is it glaringly obvious in single player that you've missed certain sections? Was a big fan of the first two but I'll only pick this up when things are quiet and it's a lot cheaper if only to get some closure on the story. Even if the plot is rubbish.

It was the little details that really made the game stand out. The sounds were crisp, it was visually great and the little details like holographic inventory and no HUD were great. Are all these details still present?
ItchyRash 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 15:31

How much time do these co-op only missions take up and is it glaringly obvious in single player that you've missed certain sections?

Around 1-2 hours, and: there are doors with "Co-Op" written on them. Which is a bit of a crap way of going about it, in hindsight...

The environmental detailing, holograms and sound design are much as they were in previous games, yes.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Clanger67 » 05 Feb 2013, 15:34

I was quite pleased when i read that the shootouts and the cover system don't intrude that much into the game.But as has been said the naff plot dashed the few hopes i had we would get another dead space 1.Soon to be released games all my hopes hang onto Aliens being pretty good now. :(

Also a bit disappointed that despite only being a handful you will miss out sp on the co-op missions.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby ItchyRash » 05 Feb 2013, 15:37

OXM ETboy wrote:there are doors with "Co-Op" written on them. Which is a bit of a crap way of going about it, in hindsight....

Hahaha. Oh dear. Not great design there. And disappointing to know I'll probably miss out on 1-2 hours of this game as It's unlikely I'd bother with co-op. Ah well. Hopefully EA will learn when their sales are effected
ItchyRash 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 05 Feb 2013, 15:39

Clanger67 wrote:I was quite pleased when i read that the shootouts and the cover system don't intrude that much into the game.But as has been said the naff plot dashed the few hopes i had we would get another dead space 1.Soon to be released games all my hopes hang onto Aliens being pretty good. :(

Sure i read something on this very site not two days since that said you'd be better backing this in a straight fight between the two - which isn't encouraging to say the least... :|

As for DS3, sounds like its lost its way somewhat, it's not a game i'm a fan of anyway, but i do sympathise with those who were fans of the original and 2 (albeit to a lesser extent).

Seems no franchise is safe from being diluted nowadays, although something tells me this'll still sell well somehow...? :?
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 15:41

SidTheSloth wrote:Seems no franchise is safe from being diluted nowadays, although something tells me this'll still sell well somehow...? :?

It's not really dilution. The things Dead Space 3 does that are new are reasonably well-implemented. It's more that the franchise has spun on too long, with too little to keep the basic premise fresh.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Clanger67 » 05 Feb 2013, 15:43

Ah well Sid if Aliens is even naffer at least i can get through some back log,lol.Plus have missed out on a few from earlier like Xcom and want to get Hitman HD.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby SidTheSloth » 05 Feb 2013, 15:48

OXM ETboy wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:Seems no franchise is safe from being diluted nowadays, although something tells me this'll still sell well somehow...? :?

It's not really dilution. The things Dead Space 3 does that are new are reasonably well-implemented. It's more that the franchise has spun on too long, with too little to keep the basic premise fresh.

Is that not what dilution means? Stretched out/watered down? Rinse/repeat of the same old stuff? :?

And Clanger, far be it from me to tell you where to spend your beer tokens, but XCOM would be my shout for you! :wink:

Should add that 7 is still a good score gents, and sounds like there is some fun to be garnered from it? >sips quietly from half-full glass<
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 16:00

By sipping from your glass you have made it less than half-full. You have brought about your own undoing, sir!

Is that not what dilution means? Stretched out/watered down? Rinse/repeat of the same old stuff?

Dilution for me would be them stuffing in new things which make the franchise blander, less distinctive. Fortunately, they haven't. Unfortunately, they spend pretty much the entire game not quite demonstrating the need for another Dead Space game.

Ack, I suspect I'm just muddying the waters.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Droidsbane » 05 Feb 2013, 16:08

from the start i never had any intention of playing DS3 but is the 1st or 2nd entry still worth a playthrough?
oh and X-COM is definatly worth playing, which reminds me I should playthrough more of it when i get enough time.
Droidsbane 33

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 16:11

Play the first, then see how you feel. It's a fine horror-inflected action game, with a great setting.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby PCG The_B » 05 Feb 2013, 16:22

Feel free to just say "spoilers" if it is too spoilery Ed, but after that picture you've posted I'm curious - didn't Ellie lose an eye in DS2, and do they ever explain how the hell she got it back for three?
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 16:23

She gets a bionic one. It's all in the prologue - no real mystery there.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Next