to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - six things CD Projekt RED must do

Your comments on our articles.

Ed takes aim at Geralt's upcoming adventure

Earlier today CD Projekt announced The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, an open world sequel to one of Xbox 360's finer PC ports, down for release on desktops and (shush, keep it under your hat) better-than-current generation console platforms in 2014. Here's what we know, in a nutshell: the world's continuous, persistent and around 20 per cent larger than Skyrim, quests now extend to fleshed-out monster hunts, and you'll inflict area-specific critical hits by learning about enemies outside combat.... read more

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - six things CD Projekt RED must do

Postby Jabraham » 05 Feb 2013, 20:34

Just bought 1 on the computer and i guess I'll get two on the Xbox
Jabraham 35

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - six things CD Projekt RED mus

Postby JCHN » 05 Feb 2013, 22:20

Lock-to-cover. :D
JCHN 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Feb 2013, 22:40

Shaddap!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby JCHN » 05 Feb 2013, 22:50

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. :(
JCHN 56

Postby Baryonyx » 06 Feb 2013, 01:34

Why does OXM constantly champion women's rights? Objectification of women in video games? Who cares? There is less of it now than there ever has been before in gaming. Custer's Revenge was a long time ago...

As for what The Witcher 3 needs to do to make it worth playing:

1) Get the open world right.

This is nothing short of critical to the game's success. The Witcher 2 was essentially a corridor RPG, and it was hugely unsatisfying. Most of the game was spent trudging around an army camp or wandering listlessly through a buggy forest. It needs space, it needs geographic and architectural interest, it needs variety.

2) Have a sense of direction

The Witcher 2 seemed to leave the player to their own devices for a lot of the time, which unfortunately meant lots of aimless wandering, trying to figure out what to do, or how to follow the rubbish map. I don't mind a game which doesn't hold your hands, but unlike the masterful Dark Souls, where you could always go somewhere else or try something new if you got stuck, the Witcher 2 was just frustrating.

3) More monsters, please.

For a game about an ass kicking monster hunter, The Witcher 2 was pretty light on monsters. More please, lots more, of fantastic design. Take a hint from Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma here.

A less cumbersome story would be good too.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 36

Postby Rewave Acid » 06 Feb 2013, 11:53

Baryonyx wrote:Why does OXM constantly champion women's rights? Objectification of women in video games? Who cares? There is less of it now than there ever has been before in gaming.

Until video game women have an acceptable average chest size and one is no longer uncomfortably embarrassed and aroused to even have Miranda in their squad, I think the championing is fair. :P
Rewave Acid 30

Postby PS3Tard » 06 Feb 2013, 18:56

A usable map wouldn't be a bad thing either.
PS3Tard 24

Postby Furie » 08 Feb 2013, 01:39

The Wild Hunt has nothing to do with in-depth monster hunts. It's a group of hunters taking the souls of mortals in folklore and has a similar role in the games, if more entwined in that specific lore.
Furie 25

Postby Spartan Edge » 08 Feb 2013, 17:54

How about more of a sandbox,open world aspect perhaps? Having to travel between locations.
Spartan Edge 13

Postby Spartan Edge » 08 Feb 2013, 17:56

PS3Tard wrote:A usable map wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Yeah,i heard that one!..
Spartan Edge 13

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Feb 2013, 18:45

Furie wrote:The Wild Hunt has nothing to do with in-depth monster hunts. It's a group of hunters taking the souls of mortals in folklore and has a similar role in the games, if more entwined in that specific lore.

Indeed, but hopefully there's a broader association they're trying to invite. Don't burst my bubble, man. I really want proper monster hunting in the Witcher 3.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby kevicus12 » 10 Feb 2013, 20:06

I'm a little late to party on this one but for the open-world wish-list - no annoying animals constantly attacking you just because you want to explore off the path. I can kind of forgive it in Far Cry 3 because it's a shooter not a RPG and you can at least use or sell the pelts, but in Elder Scrolls and Fallout it really, really got on my nerves.
kevicus12 22

Postby HereticPrincess » 02 Mar 2013, 05:32

Now I want this game even more!
Having a better map in this game would be great! I am currently stuck in the forest in the Witcher 2 trying to find a quest! >:(
HereticPrincess 3

Postby floppypig » 22 Apr 2013, 23:01

Agree with 4 and 5. Kinda meh with 3, I'd just rather no multiplayer at all.

Disagree on 1, 2 and 6.

1.) To be fair, I don't even see the point of secondary weapons, I've never even used them. To me, they just seem like more worthless versions of the sword you have. So I'd rather they didn't spend resources on separate animations for something I'm not even going to use.

2.) I think they portray women really well. Sure, some are objectified, but then again, women (two in particular) are behind basically the entire conspiracy of the second game, so they say they're objectified completely and not given their due is just false. So what if Triss did some playboy? She's hot, leave her alone.

6.) I love their use of strange words like ploughing, Sets them apart from other games and develops the universe. To suddenly get rid of them now would be immersion breaking and really kinda pointless...
floppypig 2

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 Apr 2013, 23:16

floppypig wrote: I think they portray women really well. Sure, some are objectified, but then again, women (two in particular) are behind basically the entire conspiracy of the second game, so they say they're objectified completely and not given their due is just false. So what if Triss did some playboy? She's hot, leave her alone.

I didn't say they were "objectified completely" :) As I wrote, I think The Witcher handles sexism well much of the time - not by effacing it, but by acting it out as a component of the fiction - but there are moments when it's guilty of the sort of "shampoo commercial" male-gaziness you get in, I don't know, Highlander movies, for instance. It's just a bit cheesy, really. I'm not so much offended as bored.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff