to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why the next Xbox won't be always online or block used games

Your comments on our articles.

Don't believe everything you read

I don't like predicting the future. I particularly don't like predicting the future when it comes to games consoles, because the old rules no longer apply. When the Xbox 360 launched, games were (mostly) the preserve of young men, digital distribution was for tiny arcade titles, B-list titles made a profit and you could waste billions on hardware development secure in the knowledge you'd make it back on software sales. None of that's true any more, and lots of games publishers died finding that out.... read more

Why the next Xbox won't be always online or block used games

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Feb 2013, 16:33

Agree entirely, especially the part about the Gertrude and a half being the point when all this stuff is introduced. Anything else would be suicide from a business point of view.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Why the next Xbox won't be always online or block used g

Postby DarthTwitch » 06 Feb 2013, 16:56

We'll see.
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Postby DarthTwitch » 06 Feb 2013, 16:58

Hey, I have every game in that picture ^_^
Enjoy my hate-filled, vitriolic ranting? You should! For more information, verbally assault me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.

I write in Bold. Deal with it.
DarthTwitch 14

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Feb 2013, 17:19

Great article, kudos to you says I.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Red Gunner XI » 06 Feb 2013, 17:37

Please stop this myth that high bandwidth is not available to most! IT IS! 90% of the UK now has access to 40meg FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) products and it is becoming as cheap as standard ADSL circuits. If the next gen doesn't launch with always online functions it will be incorporated within 2 years!
Red Gunner XI 7

Postby SidTheSloth » 06 Feb 2013, 18:22

Pretty much agree with the stuff being said here, a new console is always about how many they can flog - you could have the greatest, most fantastic next gen game ever as an exclusive, but it'll still sell bugger all if no-one owns the console...

Only thing that has me stroking my chin where the hair would be if i was man enough to grow a beard, is that i've read similar rumours about the next PS having the 2nd hand block too. I don't for a minute think one would, if the other didn't - but if they both did? Hmm... Consumers then would have nowhere left to turn - no doubt many would abstain from purchase but for how long when games for the old machines dry up? Moot subject anyway as it's all smoke and mirrors for now but my tuppence worth anyway.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby scottishwildcat » 06 Feb 2013, 19:21

Red Gunner XI wrote:Please stop this myth that high bandwidth is not available to most! IT IS! 90% of the UK now has access to 40meg FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) products and it is becoming as cheap as standard ADSL circuits. If the next gen doesn't launch with always online functions it will be incorporated within 2 years!

What a parochial attitude. "The UK" is not the same as "most" -- the average world global download speed is still less than 8Mbit/s.
scottishwildcat 17

Postby David Pilcher » 06 Feb 2013, 21:43

Microsoft will eventually want you to purchase games only online through the XBOX. This will mean Microsoft will now take a larger piece of the pie and the dealers like Gamespot or online rentals like Gamefly will no longer exist (kind of like Blockbuster went away in the US and now many stream through Netflix). So - to make that transition they must 1) get you to stop buying used games and 2) be connected to the internet.

This is a small step to their larger goal. Don't be surprised if they do it. More and more people have internet connections (and even faster wireless connections like LTE). Eventually we'll all be connected to the internet. I bet Microsoft knows how many units of the 360 sold never connect to the internet and, with it being a fraction of their total sales, are willing to abandon that audience to gain the revenue their make from buying all games online.

Mark my words. Iphone and Ipad games are all bought online. . . this will happen. Maybe not the XBOX 720 but this will happen in the near future.
David Pilcher 1

Postby Worthies » 06 Feb 2013, 22:30

Red Gunner XI wrote:Please stop this myth that high bandwidth is not available to most! IT IS! 90% of the UK now has access to 40meg FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) products and it is becoming as cheap as standard ADSL circuits. If the next gen doesn't launch with always online functions it will be incorporated within 2 years!

Not where I live, maybe in the east of the UK, but where I live I am lucky if I can get above 2mb.
There are no plans for fiberoptic where I live in the foreseeable future, so I doubt these plans would come to fruition as there are probably millions more in a variety of countries which Microsoft would be cutting off of their custom.

Good article.
Worthies 29

Postby Eviltiger » 06 Feb 2013, 22:59

What I want is simple for the Xbox to be a good console. I dont want ie5 (or whatever version they are using now), i dont want my xbox cluttered with music and movies and advertisments. I dont watch movies on my console and I am certainly not going to listen to music.

Having said that these are bonuses wee extras which although good Xbox needs to focus on bringing out exclusive decent titles for all genres and gamers. NOT just dlc packs to COD and Halo. I want decent games.

Case in point some of the best original exclusive titles developed by third party companys which were exclusive titles are now on both eg mass effect series AND bioshock. Fair enough. And there are still classic exclusives out there like Witcher 2 but they need to focus on that. Why cos last E3 sony showed new games which guess what? Appealed to me such as beyond 2 souls and the last of us. Xbox did not. This is a concern.

Also no red rings or anything like would also be nice.

And address the achievements I am an offline player. I hate playing online. I dont own gold and I dont want to own gold. But when I look at my Achievement list and see so many missed achievements cos I choose not to pay and play I feel disheartended. Achievements should show what type of player I am and how good. This can easily be done by having online and offline achievements scored separately but equally.

I am sure there is more to argue but thats it for now
Eviltiger 5

Postby xXPiperAlphaXx » 06 Feb 2013, 23:02

As far as online verification and registering a game goes, who says you've got to have an ultra fast connection? What I mean is, you buy the physical disc, then when you log online the server at Microsoft checks that your disc hasn't been logged with another machine. This is surely only a matter of a few kilobytes of data. Only actually downloading a 20gig game would require superfast Broadband.

Or am I being a dumbass?
xXPiperAlphaXx 16

Postby Dave101 » 07 Feb 2013, 01:29

the original xbox was marketed as the 'ultimate home entertainment' hardware. When that didnt work, it became 'oh, that was just a trial, (a very expensive, $1bn practise run) for the xbox 360, which will REALLY deliver as a centrepiece for family entertainment. begone hifi, tv box, the xbox360 will do it all... now its going to be the next one? Yawn....
Dave101 16

Postby Xbox11 » 07 Feb 2013, 10:04

Your right you don't need a fast connection to be always online , It could be just basic 1meg connection and make no difference at all, As for online gaming the ping is the most important factor not bandwidth, You could have a 10gigbit connection to a satellite, But you wouldn't be able to play Halo on it, Not without Quantum networking becoming a reality, Low ping =Good gaming.

But they wont make the next Xbox online only, The generation after this one will definitely be online only , With a 4G Modem built in, I don't see why they couldn't make a slimline version in 2 years with that feature , That would be enough for 4G To find a good footing worldwide.
Xbox11 28

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Feb 2013, 10:51

xXPiperAlphaXx wrote:As far as online verification and registering a game goes, who says you've got to have an ultra fast connection? What I mean is, you buy the physical disc, then when you log online the server at Microsoft checks that your disc hasn't been logged with another machine. This is surely only a matter of a few kilobytes of data. Only actually downloading a 20gig game would require superfast Broadband.

Or am I being a dumbass?

I theory you're right, but the few companies that have tried this on their PC titles (Ubi being the highest profile) have insisted on your PC constantly streaming back and forth with their servers to confirm you're still online. This means that if your internet blips for even a second you get kicked out of your game and have to reload at the last save. They stopped the scheme altogether after one of the Assassins Creed games proved so popular that their server kept crashing on the US release day and no one could play their biggest seller.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Feb 2013, 11:32

CunningSmile wrote:
I theory you're right, but the few companies that have tried this on their PC titles (Ubi being the highest profile) have insisted on your PC constantly streaming back and forth with their servers to confirm you're still online. This means that if your internet blips for even a second you get kicked out of your game and have to reload at the last save. They stopped the scheme altogether after one of the Assassins Creed games proved so popular that their server kept crashing on the US release day and no one could play their biggest seller.

It's how steam works though and you don't need the connection all the time for that (in theory...sadly...) so I'd imagine it is just for activation. Ubisoft are a little bit mental.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next