to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Valve and Star Trek director JJ Abrams team up for possible

Your comments on our articles.

Worlds collide at DICE Summit

Strange things are going down in Las Vegas tonight. Speaking at the annual DICE Summit, Valve Corporation's Gabe Newell and famed Star Trek reboot director JJ Abrams have announced their intention to make games and films together. Eep.... read more

Postby Jabraham » 06 Feb 2013, 19:20

JJ Abrams is just rolling in the massive blockbuster films recently
Jabraham 35

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Feb 2013, 19:26

From that Portal short film which I've seen online around and about I would be really interested to see more, and with Abrams on board you would hope it won't turn into a Resident Evil film-style slo-mo fest.

I think J J has quite a lot on for the time being though, so it may be a while before we see these.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Re: Valve and Star Trek director JJ Abrams team up for possi

Postby kevicus12 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:21

That Portal short is great - assuming we're on about the same one. Is there more than one? - so that'd be the shoe-in, I reckon, rather than trying to condense the complexities of the Half-Life universe. I'd guess that Abrams would produce, rather than direct, letting one of his Bad Robot commanders take the helm - Drew Goddard or Matt Reeves, maybe?

JJ Abrams, though... Not bad going from Lost to being THE go-to guy in Hollywood (behind Whedon, this humble fanboy submits).
kevicus12 22

Postby mistergrimm » 06 Feb 2013, 20:35

I predict Kurtzman and Orci to write.
mistergrimm 33

Postby Sandbwoy » 06 Feb 2013, 20:47

An interesting combination. Let's see what, if anything, they come up with...
Sandbwoy 24

Postby benjedimaster » 07 Feb 2013, 13:32

I find this funny, Gabe has to bring in someone from outside Valve to help him count to three.
benjedimaster 8

Postby Mendes » 08 Feb 2013, 10:10

The Portal short is bloody great.... but I'd be much more interested to see a Half Life film, or rather Half Life 2 as the setting is so cool.... but saying that, as much as I enjoy JJ Abrams movies, not sure he'd be the right man for the job, I sure it'd be grand but could he capture the desolation and emptiness, plus the dread of going to Ravenholm. Tarkovsky why did you die!!!

I'm also worried that certification would mean that it would be a relatively saw blade / bloodless affair. Maybe Abrams would be better off making a Portal film, much more his 'thing' I guess.
Mendes 34