to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft account problems

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

Microsoft account problems

Postby Metalrodent » 06 Feb 2013, 20:06

when I first joined Xbox Live i f**ked up and accidently created a new account, using my normal email adress. since i wanted my achievements and main profile used i created a second account, however due to the shitty microsoft policy of not letting you use the same email twice i used an old email from a family member.
This has been fine up till now but ive started to worry, checking the Outlook inbox ive never had an email come through to it, and ive emailed it as a test and they dont come through.
This could be a problem when i need to move or sign up to things (eg. move to 720, linking to a Windows Phone) because if anything requires email validation or contact i wont get it.
I set it to foward to my main email but still nothing comes through, I noticed in the settings that my account was set to 'send only', yet trying to add a 'send and recieve' account with same email seems not to work.
I'm becoming worried that this will be a major problem, and because of microsofts bloody stupid policy of not allowning accounts to change emails, or change the account associated with xbox live (is this right?) I'm stuck with it unable to recieve emails or change anything.

Any help, advice or comments?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Microsoft account problems

Postby Decent_Jam » 07 Feb 2013, 00:48

There is a thing you can do, it's quite hard to find and due to the way it works I couldn't give you a direct link, but basically you can reset the password (and effectively the account) of a Microsoft email address by filling in an online form.

It's an option you get to if you click forget your password and your security details etc, but sounds like it might be a helpful option.

The form basically involves recalling contacts and sent or received emails the account might have had and any other information you can remember. This gets sent off to Microsoft who then get in touch with you at another email address after a few weeks or so.

Long-winded and complicated, but possible.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Feb 2013, 10:35

Get this sorted fast! I ended up locked out of my account following a hack on my Hotmail and as a result of similar problems to you never got it unlocked.

If you go to the Account tile on the dashboard there is an option to change email address, set up a second emergency email etc but they have hidden it away pretty well. Search it out, I promise it's there (my girlfriend did it to her account recently)
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Feb 2013, 19:28

I notice there is the option to change the microsoft account linked to your profile - if i deleted my other xbox account would i be able to transfer that microsoft account to my main xbox one?
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Mar 2013, 10:23

Metalrodent wrote:I notice there is the option to change the microsoft account linked to your profile - if i deleted my other xbox account would i be able to transfer that microsoft account to my main xbox one?

You should be able to, certainly worth a try.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 01 Mar 2013, 12:15

I might just create a brand new email and set up a MS account with that so I dont have to faff about with old emails - that should work right?
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Mar 2013, 12:19

Metalrodent wrote:I might just create a brand new email and set up a MS account with that so I dont have to faff about with old emails - that should work right?

Yeah it should do. I'd use Gmail or similar but steer clear of Hotmail so you don't get the same problem I did with MS linking everything. Gmail should let you keep the two accounts at arms length.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 10 Mar 2013, 22:12

gonna go for it tonight or tomorrow, if anyone has anything i should know say now (hoping my created gmail account works as a microsoft account and then said accounts updates properly with my xbox profile)
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Mar 2013, 10:02

Metalrodent wrote:gonna go for it tonight or tomorrow, if anyone has anything i should know say now (hoping my created gmail account works as a microsoft account and then said accounts updates properly with my xbox profile)

I have something you should know. The literacy rate of Yugoslavia in 1980 was around 91%. And pigs can't look up.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Metalrodent » 11 Mar 2013, 12:56

Success ! :mrgreen:

and thanks for that fishy, really brightened up my day those facts did (to the nearest pub quiz i go)
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Mar 2013, 12:58

Metalrodent wrote:Success ! :mrgreen:

and thanks for that fishy, really brightened up my day those facts did (to the nearest pub quiz i go)

Yay, glad you managed to get it sorted out before it became a real problem. Starting my profile from scratch really put me in a bad mood so glad you didn't have to.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Mar 2013, 11:50

success! Got email from microsoft - never had one before
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Mar 2013, 12:48

Metalrodent wrote:success! Got email from microsoft - never had one before

Cool, now you can get stuff from them make sure you sign up to the rewards programme. 20MS points per month for filling in a questionairre they email to you and points back from each purchase depending on what your gamerscore is. Free stuff is always worth signing up for.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Mar 2013, 12:56

I think I'm already on the rewards thing, oddly it didn't require email verification

The surevy points are nice but I haven't bought anything for yonks, so haven't got any points back
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Mar 2013, 12:20

Whilst giving you ex-country literacy stats I didn't realise I had created a hotmail account rather than just using my normal yahoo account to link to my profile, so did that last night, cheers chaps and chappettes. Now to sign myself up to rewards...
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Next