to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gamestop warns Microsoft off next gen Xbox used game block

Your comments on our articles.

Demand for new console would be "significantly diminished", claims retailer

US mega-retailer Gamestop has commented on rumours that the next generation Xbox console will be an always-online machine that enforces one-use activation codes on all games, thereby stifling second hand sales. Unsurprisingly for a company that hauls in huge annual revenues from pre-owned, it's dead against the idea.... read more

Gamestop warns Microsoft off next gen Xbox used game block

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 08 Feb 2013, 12:22

I think it may be a little disingenuous to say that GameStop are commenting with only their vested interests in mind. I'm not suggesting that there is no self-interest, but facts are facts no matter what the source.

I do not buy second-hand games and yet have well over 300 360 games in my collection and never sell or trade in games that I have finished, but that is because I am fortunate enough that I can (I’m getting on a bit at 49, had a pretty reasonable job and have no life to speak of!). However, just because I do not buy second-hand games, doesn’t mean that I do not respect the fact that for many people the money they get from selling on a game they have finished with is all that enables them to buy their next game, and therefore, any used-game block would hit sales of new games (and let’s face it, it’s highly unlikely that games for the next console will be cheaper, or even the same cost, as current generation games). So, if Microsoft want to end their reign as the console of choice for many (or even most), then implementing a used-game block would surely see them succeed in their wish.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Gamestop warns Microsoft off next gen Xbox used game blo

Postby OXM Jonty » 08 Feb 2013, 13:39

As stated elsewhere, I don't think it's a good idea to block second-hand games - but I'm not going to listen to Gamestop's opinion on the subject and I don't think Microsoft will either. That company makes something like half its revenue off pre-owned games, I bet there were brown trousers throughout the boardroom when that Edge story went up.

Also, Game Informer is a constant source of trouble so anything that annoys GameStop is fine by me.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Jordan Tough » 08 Feb 2013, 13:53

It's not just the second hand games either that is the problem with it, I mean the amount of times my brother has got a new game that I wasn't planning to buy, I have borrowed the game then decided yeah I like this then just like that the developers get another sale. Same thing applies to rentals as well and if I am not mistaken the developers and publishers still get money from rentals anyway, companies like Blockbuster still have to pay extra fees for rental copies do they not? I have bought second hand titles to check out a games series that I either wasn't fully sold on the game or hadn't really heard about it then bought more games in the series as they came out, Darksiders and Assassins Creed are two that spring to mind. Then there is places like Gamestop and even local used game shops that would essentially be run out of business affecting the economy. I am probably reading too much into this but it really would be a bad move on Microsofts part if they went through with this. Still it is only a rumor at this point I suppose so will just need to wait until MS comments on the matter. Besides doesn't Sony own the patent to block used games? Not really too sure on how patents work so not sure if that means anything or not.
Jordan Tough 6

Postby Darth Mousemat » 08 Feb 2013, 13:55

Surely as a game gets older it's desirability and therefore the wanting to buy it new diminishes. That's where pre-owned comes into its prime and actually makes a bit of money rather than losing it altogether because people wont buy it at full price.
Darth Mousemat 23

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Feb 2013, 14:28

OXM Jonty wrote:As stated elsewhere, I don't think it's a good idea to block second-hand games - but I'm not going to listen to Gamestop's opinion on the subject and I don't think Microsoft will either. That company makes something like half its revenue off pre-owned games, I bet there were brown trousers throughout the boardroom when that Edge story went up.

Also, Game Informer is a constant source of trouble so anything that annoys GameStop is fine by me.

I remember reading somewhere (possibly CVG) that GameStop have actually stopped using different coloured labels for new and used, and put them on the same shelf to try and boost their second hand sales even more! With that sort of morally ambiguous sales tactics I think MS are more like to act just to piss off GameStop.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby taternuggets » 08 Feb 2013, 15:00

Gamestop can seriously go f#^k themselves.

Screw the developer.
Screw the publisher.
Screw the consumer.

Profit.

I'll embrace the used game block for the sole reason of it putting those leeches out of business.
taternuggets 37

Postby GHOSTY05 » 08 Feb 2013, 15:45

taternuggets wrote:Gamestop can seriously go f#^k themselves.

Screw the developer.
Screw the publisher.
Screw the consumer.

Profit.

I'll embrace the used game block for the sole reason of it putting those leeches out of business.

It's not just gamestop though is it, there are many retailers that buy, trade and sell used games.

Remember it's never the bosses of these companies that lose out, its the little people with bills, mortgages and families that lose out when they lose their jobs.

I hate these online pass codes with a passion, and even though i don't buy used games i know many people who do because they cannot afford new games.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby jaymes420 » 08 Feb 2013, 16:14

instead of commenting on "Rumor", they should have written to Sony, since their patent for technology which blocks second hand games, has been well and truly PROVED,
jaymes420 6

Postby taternuggets » 08 Feb 2013, 16:30

GHOSTY05 wrote:It's not just gamestop though is it, there are many retailers that buy, trade and sell used games.

Remember it's never the bosses of these companies that lose out, its the little people with bills, mortgages and families that lose out when they lose their jobs.

I hate these online pass codes with a passion, and even though i don't buy used games i know many people who do because they cannot afford new games.

Granted, I am just using gamestop as the most visible example of this industry. Several companies are guilty of the same practices. And I would never want to see the "little guy" lose his job, but the little guys involved with creating the game in the first place could lose theirs due to a poor retail performance.
taternuggets 37

Postby Harryn9000 » 08 Feb 2013, 16:45

there are quite a few companies in uk that rely on used game Grainger Games, Game, Cex to name a few i used them quite regular to by used games because i cannot afford that many new games a year the price of them new is getting beyond a joke call of duty 45 quid, fifa 45, gta 5 will probabley be 45 quid aswell it too much to pay out u wonder why supermarkets are getting in on it is because shops like game are charging to high a price
Harryn9000 7

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Feb 2013, 17:03

Harryn9000 wrote:there are quite a few companies in uk that rely on used game Grainger Games, Game, Cex to name a few i used them quite regular to by used games because i cannot afford that many new games a year the price of them new is getting beyond a joke call of duty 45 quid, fifa 45, gta 5 will probabley be 45 quid aswell it too much to pay out u wonder why supermarkets are getting in on it is because shops like game are charging to high a price

If you wait a couple of months the prices normally drop like a solid object in a liquid or gaseous object of lower density.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Harryn9000 » 08 Feb 2013, 17:08

FishyGinger wrote:
Harryn9000 wrote:there are quite a few companies in uk that rely on used game Grainger Games, Game, Cex to name a few i used them quite regular to by used games because i cannot afford that many new games a year the price of them new is getting beyond a joke call of duty 45 quid, fifa 45, gta 5 will probabley be 45 quid aswell it too much to pay out u wonder why supermarkets are getting in on it is because shops like game are charging to high a price

If you wait a couple of months the prices normally drop like a solid object in a liquid or gaseous object of lower density.

that what i do most of the time and new game i cannot afford on release i get for 25 quid few months later
Harryn9000 7

Postby Drainwater » 08 Feb 2013, 23:16

One of my problems with trying to put a place like Gamestop out of business (other than the people losing their jobs) is that around here they and other stores like them are the main source for finding older or generally hard-to-find newer console games. I could always order them online I suppose, but it's not the same. Also it would seriously kill the gaming market around here as most people choose not to order things online and go to a video store or to Gamestop to get a cheap game.

On the other hand, those are all lost sales for the game companies, so obviously some kind of middle ground needs to be reached. I'm actually only mildly annoyed with entering codes to get access to content that's available when you buy the game new but it sounds like lots of people hate it with a passion. From my point of view that seems like at least a step in the right direction without stopping pre-owned sales altogether.
Drainwater 34

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 09 Feb 2013, 12:48

Firstly, I would make the point that I was not defending the manner in which Gamestop retail used games, and indeed, they are no different to many (if not all) other sellers of second-hand games. My point was that I believe that what they say is actually correct.

As previously stated, I am old – certainly old enough to remember having to buy a 360 console off Ebay for £500 because it wasn’t possible to get one in the stores in November 2005! But I was a gamer for long before that, and I remember they outcry that came about when people realised that we were going to be expected to pay nearly double for our 360 games to that which we were paying for our original xbox games. Anyone who thinks that we’re not going to be paying more for the ‘720’ games is a fool. The reasons cited in answer to the outcry was the cost of developing on a new format – well hey! We’re going to be in exactly the same position soon, and I would suspect that there may well be even more of a market for second-hand games once the cost of the ‘720’ games is realised.

I also don’t understand why it is that people are standing with pitchforks outside the likes of Gamestop. Yes, the developers don’t get the money from second-hand sales, but then nor do the artists when a CD is bought second-hand, nor the builder when a house is sold to a new homeowner, nor the manufacturer when a car is traded in. And each of those examples go bust and cease to trade when things get difficult.

I honestly believe that Microsoft would be committing virtual suicide if they introduce this block, especially if the likes of Sony don’t follow suit. The price of games when moving to the next console will see fewer sales (particularly in the current financial climate), but take away the opportunity for people to recoup some money by trading in a game they purchase and you will see the smaller developers (the innovators of the industry) fall by the wayside, and thus only the triple A publishers will survive and we will be left with generic titles and the industry will suffer greatly.

Ultimately, those that believe that by completely doing away with second-hand sales, and thus forcing people to buy new only will see the industry thrive, are deluded. The price of the ‘720’ games will be higher than the 360 games of present, without the safety net of selling on unwanted games, or the ability to trade in games against a new product (which is exactly what will happen if we go completely digital), people will be more cautious in their purchases, which will mean that only the triple A titles will do well, and that the rapid demise of any developer or publisher that either cannot compete for our limited spending or produce a game that does poorly.

I don't buy second-hand games because I don't have, but it needs to be remember that not everyone is in that fortunate position.
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 09 Feb 2013, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Alaric14 » 09 Feb 2013, 15:56

This all sounds rather far-fetched when we hear about "always online" machines that don't allow second-hand games to be used, but then we look at the divide between EA's Origin store and Steam, and I have to wonder if all these partitions could make their way into the console side of things with the impending release of the 'Steam Box'.

The future looks interesting for consumers and hellish for publishers.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Next