to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

iPad edition woes and the end of my subscription

The magazine, the website, the disc, the OXM Report and more

iPad edition woes and the end of my subscription

Postby Nuclear pond » 10 Feb 2013, 22:04

Hello. Wondered of this was just me.

I've owned an Xbox since abandoning my play station about 10 years ago, and have been an official Xbox subscriber for the same time.

About 12 months ago I switched from a physical to iPad edition as its cheaper and I never use the cover disks.

I've persevered with the iPad edition for long enough and will now cease to be a subscriber. There's two reason for this. Firstly and primarily because it doesn't work. It takes about a day to Download a 300mb magazine which is a joke. Sometimes the download fails part way through for unknown reasons and I have to start again.  And again. And again. This months took sooooo many attempts. In the end I had to delete and re-install the program from the apple store. Last months didn't get read because it constantly crashed on load up. The month before crashed at the skyrim article repeatedly. Again I had to delete and re-install but it still crashed. This months crashed twice on start up too.

Secondly.  Why do I pay for a magazine subscription (either physical or electronic) when I can just read the articles for free on The website? I mostly want reviews of games before I buy them and they are all online. Quite often they are online before they are in the magazine. it makes a mockery of subscribing to be able to get the same content for free online.

Am I unlucky or are all iPad against blighted by the same problems?

I've now cancelled my subscription as its essentially a waste of money.
Nuclear pond 2

Re: iPad edition woes and the end of my subscription

Postby Nuclear pond » 10 Feb 2013, 23:15

Lol. This months edition now crashes constantly at the Remember Me article. given up.
Nuclear pond 2

Postby Metalrodent » 11 Feb 2013, 09:07

thats why real gamers buy the physical magazine :wink:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Drainwater » 12 Feb 2013, 02:42

I'm not even a subscriber, I just come to the website for the articles. But if I was, and even though I'm an Ipad owner, I think I'd still prefer the physical magazine. Something I can toss at a buddy and say "Look at page XX!" or "Look what they're doing to Game Title Here!" I can't exactly toss my Ipad in good conscience can I?
Drainwater 34

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Feb 2013, 10:11

You're certainly not alone in with your ipad troubles, i quickly subscribed when the newstand version was released but ditched it because of the god-awful future app that surrounds it. My download wasn't quite that bad, but i did have the issue where if i left it the ipad would sleep and effectively close the app meaning i had to restart it - but i think that has been fixed in an update since? The general unresponsiveness and clunkiness to get to the magazine itself though was a complete turn off. I'm sure it'll get better, but as of right now it's a lot more hassle for a (imo) lesser experience.

As for buying the magazine itself, sure the stuff on site is free and no-ones forcing you to buy, but someone still has to write these articles and (i presume) feed themselves when they're released from their daily prison...? I've seen lots of magazines closing recently, both the print edition and the online, and whilst i foresee that in the future the media is going to become more and more digital, there's no way they can all do it for free. Adverts will go some way towards cost but they're also in the print edition so it's questionable how much that covers costs anyway - most people hate online adverts and try to block them anyway so it's hardly a long term solution? Like i said, i'm not judging anyone who doesn't buy, but to find a forum as friendly and helpful as this, both with well written articles and feedback from the guys in the know is rare and even though i've already read 50% of it by the time i get it, still makes the price of the magazine more than worth the entry price, again, in my humble opinion.

Edited twenty times as it seems i was unable to use a keyboard properly when first typing this...
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 13 Feb 2013, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Feb 2013, 10:20

Sorry, Nuclear pond, I've just caught up with this. The iPad edition isn't really my beat - I'll pass this thread on to Jonty.

Going to start a thread about creating exclusive content for the mag. In an ideal world it'd be a complete separate beast to the site, but alas, that's just not financially practical. The real problem is reviews - online embargoes seldom coincide with print publication dates, and interest in the subject falls off dramatically once online reviews go live.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Nuclear pond » 12 Feb 2013, 20:17

I was originally a print subscriber, and will probably buy the odd one again. I switched to iPad mainly to reduce costs as I never used the cover disk but can understand that having one puts up the cover price of the publication. Maybe there could be a no disk subscription offer!

I think a subscribers restricted area to get to online featured and reviews a week or so before the public would be a good idea.
Nuclear pond 2

Postby Nuclear pond » 12 Feb 2013, 20:19

Also, maybe I can use this as a good reason for a newer iPad?! Might be better on the newest ones. Mine is an original iPad 1.
Nuclear pond 2

Postby Drainwater » 12 Feb 2013, 23:38

Yeesh now I feel kind of guilty for not being a subscriber. I just stumbled on this site one day and liked the articles. The magazine isn't sold in stores around here that I've seen and there aren't many book stores around these days. I guess I might have to look in to the ipad edition...
Drainwater 34

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 10:10

Drainwater wrote:Yeesh now I feel kind of guilty for not being a subscriber. I just stumbled on this site one day and liked the articles. The magazine isn't sold in stores around here that I've seen and there aren't many book stores around these days. I guess I might have to look in to the ipad edition...

Don't feel too bad there are quite a few regulars who aren't subscribers. A lot of us only buy random issues and a few more not even that. They get money from website advertising as well so don't feel guilty so long as you click on as many pages as possible to get their visitor count up.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Drainwater » 13 Feb 2013, 11:01

CunningSmile wrote:
Don't feel too bad there are quite a few regulars who aren't subscribers. A lot of us only buy random issues and a few more not even that. They get money from website advertising as well so don't feel guilty so long as you click on as many pages as possible to get their visitor count up.

Well no problem there, I tend to visit many of the new pages on this site every day after work.
Drainwater 34

Postby Charleseyface » 12 Jun 2013, 20:06

I don't mind the ipad edition but one thing that limits me is my physical mag subscription but I want to read on my ipad!
Is there any possible way to transfer my subscription?!?!?!help!
Charleseyface 1

Postby daveys1313 » 08 Jul 2013, 18:04

Is anyine having issues downloading the latest issue - i have a subscription but it just keeps showing me the 3,99 button
daveys1313 1

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jul 2013, 11:33

jessicasmith wrote:very nice forum

Glad you like it, we always like new members
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby CLbeardsley91 » 13 Jul 2013, 18:00

I am an iPad subscriber, I just recently switched as I used to buy the odd magazine. I'm 2 issues in and both have worked fine for me, I'm using the new iPad Retina Display though so perhaps this problem is restricted to older versions?

I love the ease of the iPad version to just dip in and out of videos related to content, but I hope they get the problem sorted for others!
CLbeardsley91 27