to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Legal expert likens Dead Space 3 micro-transaction exploit t

Your comments on our articles.

EA and Visceral welcome infinite resources exploit

EA has revealed that there are no plans to patch out a Dead Space 3 exploit that allows users to circumvent the game's micro-transaction system - a practice that has been likened to stealing.... read more

Postby GHOSTY05 » 11 Feb 2013, 12:24

To be honest i am still playing the first one!
GHOSTY05 39

Postby BIGBUTTER » 11 Feb 2013, 12:26

EA can go "BEEP" Themselves for putting micro transactions in their games. Same to 2KSports for NBA 2K13 for the same thing!
BIGBUTTER 22

Postby Blastiel » 11 Feb 2013, 12:29

I don't understand how it's theft?

You can send out scavenger bots over and over again, farm re spawning items, play the game multiple times with new games +.

The fact you can also buy the resources is just an option for those who either can't be arsed or don't have a lot of time to game, you know older folk with kids wives and bloody work! :)

It's a choice for the consumer, when is choice a bad thing?
Blastiel 20

Re: Legal expert likens Dead Space 3 micro-transaction explo

Postby Waffles2541 » 11 Feb 2013, 12:32

If you don't have to buy these micro-transactions in the first place, and you can find all these items in the game world, that is in no way stealing. EA is not giving us the wrong change you silly woman, it is something built into the game and, like with all games, can be exploited to the fullest extent. I am surprised that EA isn't patching it, maybe someone has finally seen some sense.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Feb 2013, 12:36

It's not technically theft, not actual theft either, it's theoretical theft. If the game has been designed to disperse the item in said place through a certain method then it can't be theft because there is no price on this item, however if you are saying they have purposefully restricted access to items to encourage microtransactions... can of worms. If they were finding a way to get infinite microtransactions for free, I'd agree it's theft, but saying there's an item in game that you can acquire more than once and doing so is theft is hopefully going to cause such a fuss they'll give up the idea.

It will certainly make interesting reading (I myself saw the quote on the beeb and hoped you'd pick it up) if developers leave bugs that undermine their own profit making. Calls into question quality control etc. Watch this space.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Blastiel » 11 Feb 2013, 12:45

Waffles2541 wrote:If you don't have to buy these micro-transactions in the first place, and you can find all these items in the game world, that is in no way stealing. EA is not giving us the wrong change you silly woman, it is something built into the game and, like with all games, can be exploited to the fullest extent. I am surprised that EA isn't patching it, maybe someone has finally seen some sense.

EA don't need to patch it, resource gathering is part of the game. You can send bots our over and over and over again, no different to you leaving a room and going back into it until you get bored.

I'm only up to Chapter 12 and I can't see me ever even needing to do the glitch, resources are plentiful :)
Blastiel 20

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Feb 2013, 12:52

While we are using pointless real world analogies:

I'm sure I can go out and forage for food much more cheaply than i can buy them at Tesco. Supermarkets are stealing from me buy forcing me to buy my food!

or

I can cook. Therefore Jamie Oliver owes me a refund for the meal I once ate at his restaurant.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Feb 2013, 13:20

CunningSmile wrote:While we are using pointless real world analogies:

I'm sure I can go out and forage for food much more cheaply than i can buy them at Tesco. Supermarkets are stealing from me buy forcing me to buy my food!

or

I can cook. Therefore Jamie Oliver owes me a refund for the meal I once ate at his restaurant.

Jamie Oliver annoys me greatly. I'm not sure what it is exactly. It could be because he is intensely annoying.

Anywho, what Blastiel said. It's a choice so fairplay.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Mendes » 11 Feb 2013, 13:35

Theft?!

Strange... I feel robbed every time I buy a supposedly finished game that has exploits or bugs in them!

Also I think it's ironic that this exploit appears in the part of the game that is solely there to exploit the customers stupid enough to spend the money.

To be honest it wouldn't suprise me if it turned out that one of the studio programmers 'left' this exploit in the game as a protest to EA's decision to include micro-transactions in the game.

The microtransactions, the co-op and the fairly pedestrian demo have put me off buying the game, at least until I can get it cheap off Play in a month or so. I did that with both DS1 & 2, which didn't disappoint, not sure I'll feel the same about DS3.
Mendes 34

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Feb 2013, 13:38

CunningSmile wrote:While we are using pointless real world analogies:

That's a pretty good one, it's free to grow your own carrots after purchasing the initial product (seeds or whatever) from the supermarket, but the supermarket can offer me instant carrots for a price because I'm a lazy bastard, but for some reason I have magic seeds and they keep regrowing my carrots instantly or after I leave the carrot patch and reenter.

In this instance, are my magic seeds theft?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Plamsa wing » 11 Feb 2013, 13:55

One could also say that some of EA's business practises are theft too.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Feb 2013, 14:05

Plamsa wing wrote:One could also say that some of EA's business practises are theft too.

Could they?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Feb 2013, 14:08

Plamsa wing wrote:One could also say that some of EA's business practises are theft too.

Not to single you out plasma as you're only being sarcastic (I hope) :wink: BUT; they've even said they're not patching this, and all microtransactions across their games are very much optional, and the online passes are a necessity in these econmic times.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Plamsa wing » 11 Feb 2013, 14:11

Bezza89 wrote:Not to single you out plasma as you're only being sarcastic (I hope) :wink: BUT; they've even said they're not patching this, and all microtransactions across their games are very much optional, and the online passes are a necessity in these econmic times.

What, sarcastic? Me? Why I'd never sir! :wink:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Feb 2013, 14:21

You don't say?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Next