to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Alien: Colonial Marines

Your comments on our articles.

Get away from our beloved licence, you Gearbox

Can you imagine a more ready-made game mechanic than Aliens' motion tracker? That iconic, beeping box of menace is like having tension on tap. It's useful enough that players are forced to lower their guard to gaze at its rather crappy sub-Game Boy screen, yet vague enough that there's no way of knowing exactly what that terrifying cluster of blue dots heading towards you represents, or when and how they'll arrive. It's hard to imagine how a first-person shooter with that device and James Cameron's alien horde at it's core couldn't be at least a little scary.... read more

Alien: Colonial Marines

Postby Gazisdaman » 12 Feb 2013, 10:30

Somehow I always knew it would end up like this, the games that you want to be the best end up being the worst. It's disappointing but it can't be helped, it seems like all the games that I thought would be good recently have been a massive disappointment. I can't help but feel like developers have lost their way somewhat when it comes to making a good game.
Maybe it was just my naivety in the past that made the games seem better or maybe it is the nature of how games are made nowadays, with huge sums of money and a small margin for error, either way it's a depressing system and not one I care to be a part of.
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Alien: Colonial Marines

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Feb 2013, 10:59

Sad but also expected really.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Feb 2013, 11:01

A shame, I was so hoping this would be good.

Still, at least i now know i'l have the money to get Bioshock Infinite
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Feb 2013, 11:01

All eyes on Creative Assembly and their mystery Alien project. Creative Assembly, the Total War developer. The developer of historical real-time strategy games. This is going to end well.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby RetroDad » 12 Feb 2013, 11:07

"It's game over man! It's game over.."

I never had high expectations for this title. How you can explore Hadley's Hope after the Atmosphere Processor went nuclear was an alarm bell to me. Clearly, Gearbox are not in the pipe five by five. Too many simulations and not enough combat drops ladies and gentlemen. Might pick it up for a fiver in pre-owned later in the year, just for shits and giggles.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 34

Postby scotty » 12 Feb 2013, 11:16

Ahh bugger, that is a shame :(
scotty 49

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Feb 2013, 11:18

OXM ETboy wrote:All eyes on Creative Assembly and their mystery Alien project. Creative Assembly, the Total War developer. The developer of historical real-time strategy games. This is going to end well.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm good sir? Or possibly a symphony of sarcasm?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Feb 2013, 11:24

OXM ETboy wrote:All eyes on Creative Assembly and their mystery Alien project. Creative Assembly, the Total War developer. The developer of historical real-time strategy games. This is going to end well.

Could it actually get much worse? It sounds as though zynga could have done a better job with Snailiens, a game about marines going onto an alien planet and shooting xeno-snails.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby baggieal » 12 Feb 2013, 11:44

Trying to keep postive, considering i was expecting 3/4 out of ten... 6 isnt bad :lol:

Think ill still pick it up, see what the crack is, if its rubbish ill just trade it in for something else at CEX or sell it for £30 cash etc, id be seriously worried if it was a 3/4 out of ten game but considering its 6 and does seem like there is some good points ill give it a go, ive played a lot worse by the sound of things ( namely the last Aliens game ), it just seems a solid shooter that isnt that scary, wasnt expecting miracles anyway.

How long is the length of the game roughly out of intrest?

We talking a 8/9 hour campaign?
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19

Postby schwepterbrowser » 12 Feb 2013, 12:01

As expected. This is actually the highest I've seen it scored - gamesTM 4/10, GameSpot 4.5/10, GameTrailers 5.9/10.

As I said in the Aliens thread, this comes as no surprise to me as I think Gearbox are massively overrated. I'm not a fan of their games and see this as more of a continuation of form, rather than a misstep.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Feb 2013, 12:06

lol Jim Sterling (The Escapist's Jimquisition) gives the game a healthy 2.5/10.

So obviously OXM are just nice guys
Metalrodent 67

Postby jimh » 12 Feb 2013, 12:18

Couldn't agree more more with the score for this game.
Pre-ordered this on a £30 price and the fact i've always liked Gearbox games, Brothers in Arms and Borderlands.
Played a couple of the first missions on my own and a couple of later ones on co op and this is easly the most disapointing and worst game played on my xbox. And I finished Dark Void and Wanted.
The graphics are from an N64, the animation is terrible, the weapons feel underpowered, and a lot of the time the aliens or NPC's just stop moving or teleport in front of you but only if they don't get stuck on the scenery.
The online modes are okay but nothing that Singularity didn't do better
Being traded in for Gears or Army of Two for my co op gaming.
jimh 45

Postby Grummy » 12 Feb 2013, 13:25

schwepterbrowser wrote:As expected. This is actually the highest I've seen it scored - gamesTM 4/10, GameSpot 4.5/10, GameTrailers 5.9/10.

As I said in the Aliens thread, this comes as no surprise to me as I think Gearbox are massively overrated. I'm not a fan of their games and see this as more of a continuation of form, rather than a misstep.

I'm afraid I agree. As I've said elsewhere, I beginning to find the original Borderlands to be a fluke, as nothing they've done since then has been all that great, and some of it has been outright poor.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Feb 2013, 14:27

Grummy wrote:I'm afraid I agree. As I've said elsewhere, I beginning to find the original Borderlands to be a fluke, as nothing they've done since then has been all that great, and some of it has been outright poor.

well except Borderlands 2 - which was a bundle of fun and joy
Metalrodent 67

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 12 Feb 2013, 14:48

I agree. Don't forget, this is the company that gave us Duke Nukem Forever. They're shameless cash grabbers.

And as a fan of WW2 shooters, I find this worrying, because I really want Brothers in Arms: Furious Four to be good. Not that I'm gonna pre-order it. I'm not that dumb.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Next