to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: next gen Xbox won't run without next gen Kinect - ga

Your comments on our articles.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it an unsubstantiated rumour story?

This just in: the next generation version of Kinect will be able to see your thumbs, thus distinguishing you at a glance from household pets and coat stands. It'll also be able to distinguish you from the other guy in your room who hasn't paid for the movie you're watching, whereupon hunter-killer drones will be dispatched to blow his arse off with heat-seeking plasma balls.... read more

Postby Shamanix » 12 Feb 2013, 11:03

..... And here comes another one....
Shamanix 27

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Feb 2013, 11:06

big no no for me.

I like disk games, being able to hold, lend, and then sell them without worrying about console memory.
As for constant connect, bollocks to that I bought an xbox to not have to do exercise.
And 360 pads not working is also bad for me, asides from the dpad i think the 360 is the most comfortable controller yet (also i have 3 of them, dont want them going to waste)

*sigh* almost all the rumours i hear give me very poor hopes for the 720, seems everything points at microsoft forcing unwanted, unneeded and pointless features on us.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: Rumour: next gen Xbox won't run without next gen Kinect

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 12 Feb 2013, 13:13

Firstly, in the hope of improving load times and graphics, I tend to install all games to my harddrive (unless the advice is not to) so installing games is not an issue for me, and the fact that I will no longer have to wait 10 minutes or more to start my game as it installs is fine by me.

However, I do not want Kinnect in any shape or form. I bought one soon after release, and it sits atop my TV, disconnected and gathering dust. I am disabled with a back condition, I sit in a specially designed chair with my legs raised at all times, I do not stand to play games and the Kinnect struggles to identify me and the position in which I sit. I have tried the voice commands in Mass Effect 3 for example, but firstly, it is actually quicker to press X to open a door than it is to say 'open door' (whereupon Shepherd would change weapons or something equally wrong!), and also my 9 year old son would find it highly amusing to say key words and thus have my character give verbal responses that I didn't want. Recently I have been playing Dead Space 3, and the friend that I have been playing with has just had to disconnect his Kinnect as whilst speaking to me his character would constantly give my character ammo or health packs (great for me (and quite amusing!), but very frustrating to him).

I do not want Kinnect 2, as it is likely to fail to take into account that all of us sit in the same way, and the verbal commands side of things is actually a hindrance.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Windowlicker79 » 12 Feb 2013, 14:41

Metalrodent wrote:big no no for me.

I like disk games, being able to hold, lend, and then sell them without worrying about console memory.
As for constant connect, bollocks to that I bought an xbox to not have to do exercise.
And 360 pads not working is also bad for me, asides from the dpad i think the 360 is the most comfortable controller yet (also i have 3 of them, dont want them going to waste)

*sigh* almost all the rumours i hear give me very poor hopes for the 720, seems everything points at microsoft forcing unwanted, unneeded and pointless features on us.

You seem to have completely misinterpreted near enough all of the information from this rumour.
It makes no mention of the games not being distributed on disc. In fact another part of this rumour was a confirmation that it'll have a blu-ray drive. The installation they are referring to is the same as the way you currently install games on your Xbox 360, except it has the advantage of being mandatory, so developers can fully utilize the advantages of having the game installed to the hard drive without having to worry about accomodating for people without a HDD, which is currently a problem on the 360.
The need to have Kinect always connected is also not as much of a problem as you have assumed. Just because it needs to be connected doesn't mean developers will be forced to include compatibility with it in their games.
The new controller also might not be a problem. If its a "natural evolution" of its predecessor then chances are it really won't be that much different. Microsoft have a good history of improving their controllers over older versions. The fat Xbox controller was rubbish, so they changed it to the "Controller S" which was a huge improvement. The Xbox 360 controller was a "natural evolution" of the Controller S and changed little apart from improving the button location. If they get it right then the next-gen Xbox controller will be similar to the 360 one but with an improved d-pad, and a built in rechargeable battery.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Feb 2013, 15:01

All sounds very plausible for me. Many developers and MS suits have said that the reason Kinect hasn't been well utilised is that no one wants to risk developing a game only a % of the audience can play; therefore I'd be surprised if the Gertrude didn't come shipped with a new version on Kinect, making the connection permanent just increases developers ability to use it. Similar logic behind the mandatory installs, they would allow a greater number of developers to create faster games because they know everyone will play them the same way.

Pity about the controller as I really like the 360 one, but unlike Sony I wasn't expecting MS to keep the same controller for several generations.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby battfink83 » 12 Feb 2013, 15:48

all i want to do is this MS, i want to come home from work, put a f***ing game in my console, sit on my tired fat ass and play, with my thumbs and fingers, not with my arms flailing about like justin bieber or my face looking like lee evans. also if i think the game is shite, like most are these days, i want to trade it in, simples.

you stop or make any of this awkward for me and im going else where, simples
battfink83 47

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Feb 2013, 15:50

battfink83 wrote:all i want to do is this MS, i want to come home from work, put a f***ing game in my console, sit on my tired fat ass and play, with my thumbs and fingers, not with my arms flailing about like justin bieber or my face looking like lee evans. also if i think the game is shite, like most are these days, i want to trade it in, simples.

Probably not that simples I'm afraid. MS and Sony will both follow the other so if one bars preowned so will the other and the only place you'll be able to go is back to playing board games.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Feb 2013, 16:31

Windowlicker79 wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:big no no for me.

You seem to have completely misinterpreted near enough all of the information from this rumour.
It makes no mention of the games not being distributed on disc. In fact another part of this rumour was a confirmation that it'll have a blu-ray drive. The installation they are referring to is the same as the way you currently install games on your Xbox 360, except it has the advantage of being mandatory, so developers can fully utilize the advantages of having the game installed to the hard drive without having to worry about accomodating for people without a HDD, which is currently a problem on the 360.
The need to have Kinect always connected is also not as much of a problem as you have assumed. Just because it needs to be connected doesn't mean developers will be forced to include compatibility with it in their games.
The new controller also might not be a problem. If its a "natural evolution" of its predecessor then chances are it really won't be that much different. Microsoft have a good history of improving their controllers over older versions. The fat Xbox controller was rubbish, so they changed it to the "Controller S" which was a huge improvement. The Xbox 360 controller was a "natural evolution" of the Controller S and changed little apart from improving the button location. If they get it right then the next-gen Xbox controller will be similar to the 360 one but with an improved d-pad, and a built in rechargeable battery.

Ah, all true. In fairness i wrote that when i was still half asleep and wasn't fully paying attention.

In relation to the kinect though some developers are already putting pointless compatibilty in, look at Forza's single achevement for it, or Halo Aniversary's scanning system - its not game breaking or in your face, but an annoyance none-the-less
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby JacobsM » 12 Feb 2013, 17:11

Definatly disc games and the rest seems ok and plausible. :?: :!:
JacobsM 18

Postby Shamanix » 12 Feb 2013, 17:25

CunningSmile wrote:
battfink83 wrote:all i want to do is this MS, i want to come home from work, put a f***ing game in my console, sit on my tired fat ass and play, with my thumbs and fingers, not with my arms flailing about like justin bieber or my face looking like lee evans. also if i think the game is shite, like most are these days, i want to trade it in, simples.

Probably not that simples I'm afraid. MS and Sony will both follow the other so if one bars preowned so will the other and the only place you'll be able to go is back to playing board games.

Why would you think that surely Sony would have more to gain if they did the opposite to MS ie not block used games I for one would by a playstation over the xbox if this happens
Shamanix 27

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Feb 2013, 17:28

Shamanix wrote:Why would you think that surely Sony would have more to gain if they did the opposite to MS ie not block used games I for one would by a playstation over the xbox if this happens

Depends what publishers want. They would stand to gain from being on a system with limited 2nd hand sales.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby OXM Jonty » 12 Feb 2013, 17:45

I'd be surprised if Kinect wasn't built-in, but lots of people seem to think that'll turn everything into Fable: The Journey. It's far more likely to be like the Kinect integration in FIFA, Skyrim, Future Soldier, Dead Space 3 etc - variously useful additions you can use if you like. Plus Skype of course.

And if you don't want it, you can just chuck it down the back of the telly and nobody'll be any the wiser. I suspect it'll be useful enough that you won't want to, though.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Feb 2013, 17:51

FishyGinger wrote:
Shamanix wrote:Why would you think that surely Sony would have more to gain if they did the opposite to MS ie not block used games I for one would by a playstation over the xbox if this happens

Depends what publishers want. They would stand to gain from being on a system with limited 2nd hand sales.

Cheers Fish, exactly what I was going to say. The console manufacturers will do whatever gets them games. If one has blocked used games at the request of the big publishers and the other hasn't than the publishers will in all likelihood not produce cross platform games. Would you like to be one telling your shareholders that EA are no longer producing games for your console?

There's also the fact that for all talk of competition, any industry with two main competitors is mostly a case of seeing what your competitor is doing and then copying their good ideas whilst they are copying yours. Why do you think the 360 and the PS3 despite starting out very differently now offer almost identical media functionality, online experience and both have 'me to' motion controls? PSN has even started to move towards charging despite years of saying that being free was a big advantage.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Shamanix » 12 Feb 2013, 18:28

Ah good point never really thought about it that makes sense that a publisher would rather make games for one machine knowing there gonna get more profit making games for a machine that blocks used games. Damn not looking good really is it...... And there really ain't much difference between the two consoles now cheers for that :D
Shamanix 27

Postby msbhvn » 12 Feb 2013, 19:27

Mandatory Kinect would be a double-edged sword as has been said. People who don't want it would have to use it but the decent developers would be more inclined to utilise it in their games, assuming Kinect 2.0 actually works properly this time.

I'm not bothered about mandatory installs, as I install all my games when I want to start playing them. Mandatory installs suggest Blu-ray, as the disc seek time is abysmal, which is why the PS3 has mandatory installs. I would rather MS had gone for a proprietary better format, but they must think people want another Blu-ray player.

On a related note, the hard drive in the next Xbox better be 1TB+ and not be hugely overpriced like the current £80 320GB model.

Sorry Windowlicker, but I like the detachable battery packs on the 360 controller. I have a quick charge unit with a second battery and when the lights start flashing on my controller, I plug it in and a couple of hours later I can swap the batteries with a minimal break in play. If the battery were built into the controller, I'd have to leave my console on for several hours to charge the battery to full, not to mention having to bin the whole controller when the battery wears out rather than just buying another battery.

I'm convinced the pre-owned blocking technology is a publisher demand, so Sony would have to implement it too, but it would be commercial suicide to actually use it.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Next