to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

How Creative Assembly could save the Aliens franchise

Your comments on our articles.

Colonial Marines is a disappointment, but there's still hope

You might think that the apocalyptic kicking bestowed on Aliens: Colonial Marines by reviewers is a disaster for Gearbox and SEGA. It's quite possible - likely, even - that the game will sell a bucketload of copies regardless. A couple of reviewers enjoy the new shooter, enough to supply a few glowing quotes for the ad campaigns, and the power of the brand shouldn't be underestimated, even within the mistrustful precincts of "core" games enthusiasm.... read more

How Creative Assembly could save the Aliens franchise

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Feb 2013, 15:48

Spartan: Total War and Viking teams...with help from veterans of Crytek and Crysis 2

So incredibly intricate game play coupled with very pretty but ultimately souless graphics? Sounds like a winner to me :?

Seriously though I really hope we get the reboot you asked for. I've been very vocal about my desire for a survival horror Alien, possibly even one following Newt before Ripley arrives, rather than the retread of Cameron that the franchise has become.

It does raise the question how would Aliens the film fare if released today? The internet is full of vocal complaints about slow suspenseful games being 'ruined' by the addition of action (Dead Space being the most recent) so how would the bombastic Aliens be viewed if we didn't have the benefit of the last twenty five odd years, after all it's the very definition of an action follow up to a film that at heart is a slasher horror.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: How Creative Assembly could save the Aliens franchise

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Feb 2013, 15:53

I doubt it's just the Spartan/Viking guys and the Crytek talent they've got on board, and in any case, great developers have to come from somewhere. Nobody thought much of Rocksteady when they developed Urban Chaos.

This you will all read: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... rospective
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Re: How Creative Assembly could save the Aliens franchise

Postby Grummy » 12 Feb 2013, 20:34

I have to agree with everything said here.

I've been having this conversation with a friend of mine, who is an Aliens fanboy, and I said I thought the aliens franchise was past its prime as a gaming ip. He disagrees, but I have evidence in games on my side. It's been a long time since we had a good Aliens game, so would argue there has never been one. He believes a solid 8/10 Aliens game is possible with the right developer, I agree, but it needs to radically change, it needs a brave developer to do something entirely different. I suggested an Aliens game made like Amnesia: Dark Descent. Even if one good Aliens game was made though, I don't think the franchise has enough variety to maintain a complete franchise.

An Aliens game like Telltales The Walking Dead would be good too.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator