to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox TV blow-out: Microsoft reveals plans to make regular TV

Your comments on our articles.

Comedies, dramas, reality shows, live events and more in the works

Microsoft's entertainment and digital media president Nancy Tellem has discussed sweeping plans to turn the Xbox into an all-singing, all-dancing entertainment hub, offering the same variety and quality of television programming you'd find on shonky old terrestrial and satellite boxes. The future of media is upon us, ladies and gentlemen! IT BURNS.... read more

Xbox TV blow-out: Microsoft reveals plans to make regular TV

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Feb 2013, 18:21

Offering the same variety and quality of television programming you'd find on shonky old terrestrial and satellite boxes.

Did someone knock you over the head when writing this? :wink:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: Xbox TV blow-out: Microsoft reveals plans to make regula

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Feb 2013, 18:22

I am simply enthused about the Bright New Future of Entertainment, comrade. I trust you are also enthused. You're not a back-slider, are you?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Gazisdaman » 12 Feb 2013, 18:47

hey if this means I don't have to pay for a new box then I'm fine with it, one question though: would I still need to pay my service provider or would the xbox live subscription cover it?
Gazisdaman 35

Postby msbhvn » 12 Feb 2013, 19:07

I'll don the suit and be a Microsoft Evangelist if they manage to get ITV Player on XBL sometime soon. Otherwise they're going to get an answer phone message of Cee Lo Green's breakthrough hit on repeat. :twisted:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby senote » 12 Feb 2013, 19:10

Microsoft have been trotting out bullshit hype like this for years, they make it sound like something revolutionary is here, and then when it arrives it's actually all a bit 'meh', it's another thing MS will run with for a year and then drop when it doesn't perform as expected.
senote 24

Postby Dobs » 12 Feb 2013, 20:10

Color me skeptical. I'm afraid all the shows will be prove strikingly similar to upcoming or newly released games: The Walking Dead, The Hitman, GTA 5, etc. Sounds interesting at first, perhaps. But too much of a good thing would be a distinct possibility. Talk about a showcase for product placement...

But if they were able to produce entertaining programming of a quality exceeding that which airs today -- not really a high bar to overcome in America -- I'd be both impressed and grateful.

As I understand it, Redbox is coming to Xbox as well.
Dobs 8

Postby battfink83 » 12 Feb 2013, 22:52

lets just focus on the new console being, well, a console yeah MS? my 'shonky' old sattelite box gives me hundreds of channels, and a 'free' on demand download service with hundreds of movies on.......just saying ;)
battfink83 47

Postby d4nx2y » 13 Feb 2013, 00:42

world domination...xbox. xbox...world domination...I can't see that happening. If u don't have ur own spacestation...ur nobody!
d4nx2y 16

Postby Windowlicker79 » 13 Feb 2013, 04:35

I'll never watch TV on a games console, simply because they're too damn noisy! I don't want to hear fans whirring away when I'm trying to watch a show.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby Shamanix » 13 Feb 2013, 11:49

...... Nah think I'll pass on that, just here for the games lol :P
Shamanix 27

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 11:54

So another MS idea that will get massive support in the US and forgotten everywhere else in the world then?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator