to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Crytek: Crysis "DNA" has the edge over Black Ops 2, Bungie's

Your comments on our articles.

Cevat Yerli not worried about increasing competition in sci-fi genre

I'm looking forward to next gen for one and but the one reason, right now: science fiction appears to be on the brink of conquering the industry. Established IP like Battlefield and Call of Duty are inching past the present tense, lured by the prospect of prototype, near-future weaponry. Activision and Microsoft are going head to head for dominance of the space marine premise with Destiny and Halo's new Reclaimer trilogy.... read more

Crytek: Crysis "DNA" has the edge over Black Ops 2, Bungie's

Postby senote » 12 Feb 2013, 19:09

Can we please just get through one week without some dev spouting nonsense and BS that they can't back up.
senote 24

Re: Crytek: Crysis "DNA" has the edge over Black Ops 2, Bung

Postby Waffles2541 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:05

Don't Jinx it Yerli, you say stuff like that and you are asking to fail.

Besides, Crytek seems to be lacking something that Bungie possesses. I've played most of Crytek's games and, while I did enjoy them for their monstrous graphics and size, the game play has always been a bit on the slow and lumpy side. Bungie has a reputation with making well polished games, that focus on gameplay, story, graphics etc, whilst Crytek seems to just be obsessed with the way it looks. Crysis is not a game, it is a technological showcase, a "look what we can do with computers" thing.

And while it pains me to say it, CoD has much "smoother" game play. God I have to go and wash my mouth out now.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby Waffles2541 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:12

Oh and just to add, going into a boxed in area and the computer saying "Go here to be sneaky or Go here to be 'splodey" doesn't really create much of a sandbox, plus the AI really cannot hold a candle to Bungie's work in Halo.

senote wrote:Can we please just get through one week without some dev spouting nonsense and BS that they can't back up.

Very, very true.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby senote » 12 Feb 2013, 21:38

Are there any devs that actually have a diverse catalogue of high quality titles that really deserves to be able to say what they want?
senote 24

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Feb 2013, 22:19

Bethesda, I'd have said Bioware just before Dragon Age 2 released, Rockstar North - or any R* outfit really, Infinity ward before everyone left (so respawn) and maybe bungie - but Reach was not better than 3 or ODST, it was just ok, and as reach is their most recent title and what with their games before that getting better each iteration that's why I said maybe Bungie.

That's my pick, can't name a single bad game in the devs I've listed.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Droidsbane » 12 Feb 2013, 23:00

Bungies games have more soul than Cryteks... they put effort in to creating a fun experience with memorable levels, stories, characters and music, wheras Crytek feel more like a slightly interactive Graphics tech demo.
Droidsbane 33

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 10:11

I preferred crysis (first one) to halo games. But then I also preferred Reach to 3 so I guess I'm just a bit weird. They could really do themselves a favour by not talking though.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 10:39

Yay Crytek once again proving why I hate them. I've yet to enjoy a single one of their games, they're like dating a super model; nice to look at but dead eyed and with a single figure IQ.

Please could the collective games media stop interviewing these arrogant arseholes?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 13 Feb 2013, 16:25

I haven't played a single Crytek game yet, though I have Far Cry and Crysis for PC waiting to be installed. Are they really that bad? I suppose hitching their wagon to EA is making them cocky, but wait until one of their games tanks and they'll be dropped faster than a burning bag of dog s***. :lol:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 16:41

msbhvn wrote:I haven't played a single Crytek game yet, though I have Far Cry and Crysis for PC waiting to be installed. Are they really that bad? I suppose hitching their wagon to EA is making them cocky, but wait until one of their games tanks and they'll be dropped faster than a burning bag of dog s***. :lol:

"Are they bad?" depends who you talk to. Some people (particularly PC playing graphics whores) think they are the best thing since sliced bread since most of their releases are designed to stretch your graphics card to the limit. Personally I find their games to be very nice to look at, but also shallow and soulless.

And the cocky has nothing to do with EA. I've always found them arrogant as far back as the first Farcry.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Feb 2013, 17:01

CunningSmile wrote:
msbhvn wrote:I haven't played a single Crytek game yet, though I have Far Cry and Crysis for PC waiting to be installed. Are they really that bad? I suppose hitching their wagon to EA is making them cocky, but wait until one of their games tanks and they'll be dropped faster than a burning bag of dog s***. :lol:

"Are they bad?" depends who you talk to. Some people (particularly PC playing graphics whores) think they are the best thing since sliced bread since most of their releases are designed to stretch your graphics card to the limit. Personally I find their games to be very nice to look at, but also shallow and soulless.

And the cocky has nothing to do with EA. I've always found them arrogant as far back as the first Farcry.

In contrast, the games are actually quite good - though I'd say the technical sides are pretty shit as I've only played the xbox versions and it makes everything look grainy and blurry, as well as the AI being useless. Crysis 2 has one of the best stories for an FPS, it's thrilling and fun in equal parts, though in both games stealth mode overrides it a bit too much. Honestly it's quite original and I think very good compared with 'oh those pesky russians', or 'oh those pervy middle eastern types'.

I think the first is just a linear sandbox, whereas the second is a very open mission game - it's not sandboxy but it's got lots of different paths and ways of dealing with things. I'm not sure why it gets the hate, people ask for something different from fps and crysis gives it, crytek are sure arrogant, but I've not played a better campaign since. Just need to concentrate on AI and optimising the game for consoles rather than running it on high settings and letting everything suffer.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 17:27

I'd echo what Bezza says. The stories are fairly shallow but no more so than any other shooter and you get different ways to play it through. And I like throwing chickens at people. When I got a pc capable of running crysis 1 I never bothered with it as I assumed it was a tech demo but when I did get round to playing it I thought it was great fun.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby ItchyRash » 13 Feb 2013, 17:47

Would also have to echo Bezzas words. I think it's easy to dismiss their games as just graphics and no story but can't see how they're any less shallow than the next FPS. I found the story in both Crysis 1 and 2 to be really good. And both campaigns seemed to last longer than the current 4-6 hours that most FPS games offer. Really looking forward to 3. Would disagree with Bezza regarding the graphics for 1 on xbox. Found them amazing. When I bought a new 42 inch tv it was the first game I loaded up to have a run through that luscious green jungle. Looked amazing
ItchyRash 42

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Feb 2013, 17:58

Yeah they look nice, but they make the game run grainy and at a low framerate. If you're into that thing anyway, which I am and am not, if it's really blurry etc it grates, but I don't need 60fps 1080p, as much as I'd love it.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Feb 2013, 11:59

Maybe I just find them more shallow than other FPS games because no one else spends three years in the build up telling me that their game will change the way I viuew games and forever alter my outlook on life? If they did it like Acti and said "It's pretty shit, but it's the same shit that sells every year so why try harder?" I might come away less disappointed.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next